Dominion: Guilds» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #2 - Doctor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Casimir III's father, Vladislaus the Elbow-High, lived to be 72. During Casimir's long reign, the Black Death hit Europe, and yet the Kingdom of Poland was largely spared. What was their secret? Careful rat management? Good health care? Probably being away from trade routes was a factor, but I like to consider all the angles. We had Rats in the last expansion, so it must be time for a Doctor.

The second main theme of Guilds is overpay. These are cards you can pay extra for to get more out of them. The amount you pay determines how much you get; you don't just get to overpay a certain specific amount. With Doctor, each $1 you overpay lets you look at another card. Overpay by $4 and you will look at the top card, trash it or discard it or put it back, then look at the top card again and make another choice, then a 3rd time, then a 4th time. Get it? If you put the card back you will get it again the next time, so that's not a great option until you are about out of overpays.

Doctor also does something when you play it. You can get rid of something you anticipate not wanting in your next 3 cards. It's exciting enough that you might actually buy one for $3, although you will prefer to buy one for $6 or $10 or something.

Overpay can be fed by coin tokens, just look at that synergy. And your options increase even further. Let's say you have $5 and a coin token, as with yesterday's example. In addition to whatever else, you could get a Doctor and overpay $2, or cash in the coin token and get a Doctor overpaying $3.

Overpay is something that happens when you buy a card. Didn't we have that already in Hinterlands? Well yes, but it doesn't feel especially similar. As the little "+" next to the "3" reminds you, overpay cards don't have a fixed cost (except when you trash them to an Apprentice or something; then Doctor costs $3 no matter what you actually paid). They increase the number of purchase options you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a deck thinner or means to get rid of Curses or Rats. Seems a really good purchase mid to late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prediction: there will be another card "Engineer" that introduces another mechanism - underpayment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have to declare how much I'm paying for the Doctor before I start looking at cards, or can I keep paying one coin at a time until I find that elusive Curse? (I assume I declare.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Squidd wrote:
Do I have to declare how much I'm paying for the Doctor before I start looking at cards, or can I keep paying one coin at a time until I find that elusive Curse? (I assume I declare.)

You pay however much you're paying before you get any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive J
msg tools
Buy v Gain
You can only overpay when buy buy, not gain? Pity. Otherwise Expanding a doctor into an overspent doctor would be quite nifty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an incredible opener when you have $5 or even $4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very cool. Kinda wish we had a small expansion dedicated to the coins and one dedicated to the overpay.

Seems odd that a game can contain art from both Baker and Doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First you can get rid of Estates. Then get rid of Curses, Rats and Coppers. Great potential this card has. After that, keep weeding your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...I absolutely love this card. And I LOVE the theme of overpaying. This is the kind of card that's going to be awesome for those late game turns where you have 7 coins, or 10+ coins and multiple buys.

Looking forward to seeing more of these Overpay cards. Reminds me of the Kicker mechanic (and other similar mechanics) in MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Seems odd that a game can contain art from both Baker and Doctor.

Just wait for the Smith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Milke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it work with Bridge or Highway? If I play four Highways in a row, can I buy a Doctor and can look at my top card without paying something extra?

I guess no, but I want to be sure about this.:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Spielfrosch wrote:
How does it work with Bridge or Highway? If I play four Highways in a row, can I buy a Doctor and can look at my top card without paying something extra?

Bridge doesn't overpay for you, it just lowers card costs. If you play four Bridges and then buy a Doctor for $7, Doctor costs $0 so you overpaid $7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfrosch wrote:

I guess no, but I want to be sure about this.

I believe they just lower the cost of the card. They don't actually provide treasure to purchase the card. So, you would simply get the doctor for free, but not any extra bonus because you didn't spend any money.

Edit: Of course, I had to be ninja'd by DXV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a great option to get rid of early estates without even letting them into your hand. I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ohoooo ... this looks like an awesome concept - just wait to see how many cards will have this theme incorporated to estimate the probabilistic chances of appearance in a "full-Dominion" randomizer-deck ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
this might be my favorite card of all time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might even be useful to pick up with your Workshop with no chance of overpay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive J
msg tools
Trashing non-treasures during buy phase
People are going to be itching to spend more treasures from hand when they buy this - it would be gorgeous to be able to overspend on a Doctor, trash some Rats, draw treasures from the on-trash, spend those treasures to buy something else.

I guess it's not to be. Ah well.

I was going to say it has now become possible for the first time to trash something other than a treasure during the buy phase, but then I remembered Farmland. There are still no treasures that directly trash non-treasures, though. I wonder if Guilds will fill that niche?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hmm, I don't really rate the overpay bit (for this card at least) - it just seems like it'll tend to be weaker than picking up a good 4- or 5-cost. Would you really overpay for this by 2 instead of getting a nice Laboratory, or Bazaar, or Witch, or...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do overpay effects happen before, after, or concurrent with on-buy effects like Haggler's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive J
msg tools
LastFootnote wrote:
Do overpay effects happen before, after, or concurrent with on-buy effects like Haggler's?

Two different on-buy effects, doesn't the player choose?

More interestingly, can I spend $10 to buy a Doctor, selectively trash the top seven cards of my deck and gain a Platinum? I suspect so - yum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive J
msg tools
Hammerite wrote:
Hmm, I don't really rate the overpay bit (for this card at least) - it just seems like it'll tend to be weaker than picking up a good 4- or 5-cost. Would you really overpay for this by 2 instead of getting a nice Laboratory, or Bazaar, or Witch, or...?

A lot will depend on whether Chapel's in the Kingdom, I suspect. If it isn't, the question might even be whether to buy a Doctor and thin your deck by six cards or buy a Platinum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Two different on-buy effects, doesn't the player choose?

More interestingly, can I spend $10 to buy a Doctor, selectively trash the top seven cards of my deck and gain a Platinum? I suspect so - yum!

I suspect not. Doctor's cost is still $3, and Haggler gains a card costing less than the bought card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frikkio frikkio
msg tools
Nice thematical card (the more you pay the better treatment you get xD).
And I think it could be the 2nd best trasher of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.