My gaming hobby has slowed significantly as my Longbox Graveyard comics blog
has eaten up my free time.
Here is the sole wisdom I can offer after a lifetime of gaming:
1) It's the people, not the game.
2) Never pre-order. Never!
3) Wait for the second edition (particularly with wargames).
4) Never expand.
5) If you must expand, only do so vertically -- adding more content to the systems you like. Avoid horizontal expansions adding new boards and new systems etc. because they just cause bloat.
6) Live in the past. It is less expensive and you can cherry-pick the good stuff instead of chasing the new.
7) Don't be a crusader. No one wants to be talked out of liking Monopoly. Really.
8) Go ahead and re-roll.
9) It's fine to love games that no one else likes. Actually, it's great.
10) Don't sweat the errata.
11) Life is too short for short games. You can safely ignore most anything titled "Game: Express," "Game: The Dice Game," and "Game: The Card Game." Death to Fillers!