The GENERAL Index
1.1 Magazine description
The GENERAL was an in-house magazine of reviews, strategies, variants, commentary and other valuable information specifically for the owners of games produced by Avalon Hill (Pre-Hasbro). There were a total of 32 Volumes for The GENERAL, each with 6 issues (except for the final Vol 32 - which only had 3 issues). This Index will eventually list all articles and other major content that was included in each issue.
Now in public domain and can be found here: https://archive.org/details/general_magazine
1.2 How to use and contribute to this index
What the GENERAL Index Is
The GENERAL Index is a comprehensive listing and cross reference of the gaming articles that were published in The GENERAL. Every major article found in each issue has a listing inside that Issue's particular wiki. Each game article links back to both the game it covers (in the BGG database), as well as to the author's profile page (in the BGG database) if that author is also a game Designer. Each game in the BGG database that has at least one article from The GENERAL about it, will have a complete listing of ALL the articles from The GENERAL pertain to it in it's BGG game description Wiki. Eventually, this same feature will be available for each game designers profile page in the BGG database that wrote an article for The GENERAL.
What the GENERAL Index Is NOT
Unfortunately, The GENERAL Index is NOT a place where you may obtain copies of all the game articles published in the The GENERAL that are now out of print. Copyright protection prohibits duplicating these articles from the pages of The GENERAL without the express written permission of the original publisher - Monarch/Avalon Hill (which most likely would be Hasbro at this time).
Some Suggested Uses For The GENERAL Index
- One of the most useful ways to use The GENERAL Index is for those that already own some issues of The GENERAL. Let's say you own The Russian Campaign. You know that there were quite a few articles in The GENERAL that had variants, strategy or other useful information for your game. Searching through them all by hand would take some time, you might miss one or more and how would you know what articles you didn't have if you don't own that issue? With The GENERAL Index, it's very simple - just click on the link to The Russian Campaign and every article that was published in The GENERAL shows up along with the particular Issue it was in. See which one's you have and then head to eBay to find the missing Issues.
- Finding a specific article pertaining to a certain game is easy. Look up the game in the BGG database and scroll down in the game's description Wiki to find that article you are in need of.
- Maybe you don't own any Issues of The GENERAL at all. You can still find out which Issue(s) you need to obtain to get those variant rules for Magic Realm or PanzerBlitz with just a few clicks.
- Looking for missing Issues in your GENERAL magazine collection? Use the Visual Summaries to see what article's those Issue's had as well as what the cover looked like.
How to Navigate the Index
This index is organized in several ways. The GENERAL Visual Summary Vol 1 to 16 and The GENERAL Visual Summary Vol 17 to 32 are photographic indices of the cover of every issue currently in the database. It was necessary to break the visual index into two portions due to the limitations of the current Wiki page settings. Issues that are missing in the database have a generic image asking for any BGG user to upload that issue's cover image if they own it. The Table of Contents lists every Volume in ascending order. You may click on any link to jump to that Volume's guide. Each Volume Guide has a link to a Visual Summary for that issue only as well as direct links to each individual Issue in that Volume.
Navigating on the individual Issue pages can be done by clicking on the "Return to The General Index" at the bottom of each page, or you may advance through the Index forward and backward 1 issue at a time by clicking on the appropriate link at the bottom of each Issue's page.
How the Articles are Listed
Information on the articles and content in each Issue is listed in the order that they appear in the magazine. Each Article will have a link to the game that the article is about, the name of the article and the Author's BGG link (if the author is a designer in the BGG database) or name.
Eventually, each game in the BGG database that has one or more GENERAL articles pertaining to it, will have links to each Issue of The GENERAL that has an article pertaining to that game in it's Wiki Game Description, as well as to the appropriate designer(s) page(s).
Future Additions to this Index
- Each designer's page will link back to the games that they wrote articles for, as well as link to the issues that their articles appear in.
- Readers Buyers Guide (RGB) information will be added
- AREA Top Players Information will be added
- The GENERAL Contests will be added
Want to help with this Project?
More detail on the article listing format can be found here:
The GENERAL Index Contributions Guidelines - Please READ this if you would like to contribute to the project.
Understanding This Page
The (Needs: ...) portion after each Issue link refers to the content that is still needed for that issue. The definitions are:
- actual photo cover - The real cover needs to be upload to replace the generic one being used.
- article summary - The listing of game articles needs to be added. See the information in The GENERAL Index Contributions Guidelines for further help.
- game & designer links - the BGG game links TO these games from the articles listed on the wiki needs to be added.
- game cross links - The wiki links FROM the BGG games wiki back to the Issue where the article is needs to be added.