mentioned Game Brewer's Kickstarter campaign for Arkwright: The Card Game, a streamlined, smaller box version of Stefan Risthaus' beasty, brain-burner Arkwright. Its Kickstarter fulfillment is targeted for August 1, 2021 and will be followed by a regular retail release. In the meantime, Game Brewer has shared more of its 2021 line-up with a lot to look forward to.
• Stroganov is a new medium-heavy euro from Andreas Steding, the designer of Hansa Teutonica and Gùgōng, which will be launched on Kickstarter in mid-February 2021 with an October 2021 release date.
Stroganov plays in 60-90 minutes and allows 1-4 players to compete for the most victory points while journeying through Siberia in the 17th century. In more detail from the publisher:Quote:In the 17th century, Russia began to expand eastwards to develop the vast expanses of Siberia. This phase in history is closely associated with the name "Stroganov".• I previously mentioned the upcoming 2021 release Galenus from Ion Game Design and designer Harry-Pekka Kuusela, a game in which players compete to become the best doctor in Ancient Rome. Now it seems we'll get the opportunity to lead a team of doctors in ancient Greece in Hippocrates from Alain Orban (Troyes, Black Angel).
In the game, players try to collect the best furs to gain wealth and fame as they move across the vastness that is Siberia. They will journey through Siberia in spring, summer, and autumn before returning home each winter. After four years (rounds), the player who has best utilized their actions and collected the most victory points wins.
Each year, the players must move eastward across the landscape. They can spend horses if they wish to travel further. Once they have advanced, they may take a basic action, such as trading or collecting furs or coins. Lastly, they may take more advanced actions such as visiting a village, setting up a yurt, taking a Tsar's wish (card), setting up a hunting lodge, or buying a landscape field. All of these actions — combined with exploring and some storytelling along the way — earn players victory points at the end of the game.
Every winter, players return home to Tyumen to prepare for a new year.
After four years, the game ends, then players score victory points based on having collected the right landscape tiles, fulfilled the Tsar's wishes, built hunting lodges, collected furs, and more.
Hippocrates plays with 1-4 players in 90-120 minutes and is going to Kickstarter in April 2021. Here's a high-level overview from the publisher of what you can expect to experience in Hippocrates:Quote:Travel back to Greece in 370 BCE on the island of Kos. Hippocrates has just passed away and that leads to a lot of doubt regarding the durability of his medical activities. As one of his successors, you lead a team of doctors with the goal of perpetuating the treatment of patients in the temple of Asclepios, later known as the first hospital in history. Be the right successor of Hippocrates and increase your notoriety, so that patients from all around the Mediterranean will come with the hope of receiving the best treatment ever.Paris from designers Michael Kiesling and Wolfgang Kramer, and the Kickstarter for that reprint will include a new, small expansion: Paris l'Étoile, which will include a new set of tiles to spice up your strategies, along with variations on the bonus tiles in a package that will fit in the original box.
The game lasts four rounds, with each round divided into five phases:
1. Kalosorisma — Each player welcomes up to three patients in their hospital. You need to select your patients carefully as all patients need urgent help, and some may be easier to treat than others, but make sure to help the most in need or you will lose notoriety as a doctor.
2. Pliromi — You have to remunerate your doctors or risk their departure.
3. Stratologisi — In this phase, players try to hire new doctors and purchase medicine kits. If a player obtains both, they receive a bonus.
4. Therapeia — Now is the time to treat patients. Players have to carefully puzzle and link the right patients to the right doctors to maximize their assets.
5. Exis — Players count victory and notoriety points, and prepare the board for the next round.
Hippocrates combines auction bidding, tile placement, resource management, and more to create an exciting mix that will challenge each player to best manage their patients and try to become Hippocrates' worthy successor.
• After a successful Kickstarter campaign in November 2020, Tom Vandeweyer's innovative-sounding game Rulebenders is planned for a late 2021 release, and there may still be time to snag a late pledge before Game Brewer caps the print run.
Rulebenders plays with 2-5 players in 45-75 minutes and seems like a clever solution when gaming with people that have varying interests in themes:Quote:Embark on a fascinating adventure through multiple themes like pirates, sci-fi, fantasy, prehistoric, zombies, and more in Rulebenders, a time-traveling game that twists the rules of the game (literally and figuratively) and will create a unique game experience every time you play!
In the game, players choose a number of themes out of the available six, changing the character of each round as the game progresses. Players fight for control over the different rules aspects of the game, bending the rules of the game to their advantage. You have to use your wits in this unique game where the rules change as you play.
To submit news, a designer diary, outrageous rumors, or other material, contact us at email@example.com.
Game Brewer Invites Us to Adventure Through Multiple Themes, Collect the Best Furs in Siberia, and Save Patients in Ancient Greece
05 Feb 2021
- [+] Dice rolls