Be a Good Chap.
Similar to Wheaton's Law.
The Good Chap's code: re all good chaps, so behave.
- We're friendly, honest and err on the side of being good to each other.
- If we make mistakes we own up, apologize and make good as far as possible.
- We treat others as we'd want to be treated.
- We're here to play boardgames and have spiffing fun, this lottery is just another way of extending this fun by getting more excellent games to fabulous people.
- If you feel wronged or suspicious, please contact Games 4 GeekGold before making a public accusation. Usually, one of the G4GG Management Team members already knows about it, and they can fill you in on all the details. Feel free to ask about anything!
How to join the drawing on items (be a tipper!)
1. Anyone with a BGG account can participate.
2. If you see an item you like, double-check that the item can be sent to your country and that you accept the shipping costs. If you still like the item, click on the icon next to that entry, and tip it some geekgold. To tip 10, tip 5 twice. To tip more than 10, double check that you really want to tip this item, then click where it says "Other Amount with message". Enter the amount, leave the message area blank, and click "Submit".
3. Sometimes you'll see an item that you really want which isn't shipped to your location, or which doesn't have free shipping. Bear in mind that postage isn't cheap, and don't ask that the lister pay for it.
4. The G4GG Management Team will suggest a trade between two users if they've both placed more than half of the tips on the other's posted item. Refunds will be given to the rest of the users who had placed tips on those two items. You may report such cases to a G4GG Management Team member when the draw date grows near.
How to list items on G4GG
1. If you post an item, you'll have to give it away. If you got even a single geekgold, you must draw and send out the item.
2. Add the item as on the G4GG list. But read the next line before you do.
3. If you are a new user, you may not put up an item listing unless you first clear it with the G4GG Management Team. Who's a new user? Any user who has the over their avatar. Don't worry, it goes away after a while.
4. It's not an easy thing, to offer hard-earned geekgold for an item you've never seen. To help the chaps decide, include the following:
4.1. Description: describe the thing or edition that you have and its condition.
4.2. Shipping: these range from free worldwide shipping to requiring the winner to pay full postage. (Examples: Free worldwide, Free to one's own country, CONUS only, $10 off worldwide shipping, $10 off own country, $1 off for every 100 geekgold tipped, fully paid by winner.) You may use any combination you like, just explain it.
4.3. Draw date: Specify when your item will closed for entries and a winner drawn. This must be by the end of the month.
4.4. Always link the entry to the correct item on the database. So if you are auctioning the Video Game version of Puerto Rico Puerto Rico and not to Puerto Rico.
4.5. You're allowed to specify minimums and maximums ("caps") for geekgold tips, as long as they are specified in the description. Tippers who misread the description are entitled to a single refund up to the drawing date. (Tippers, try not to make the same mistake over an over, eh?)
4.6. You may not publish "placeholder" listings. There is a perception, regardless if it's accurate or not, that front page and/or top of the page placement is more desirable. Due to this, there is a temptation to publish an incomplete listing in order to lock in placement. Please do not do this as it falls outside of the Good Chap Code. If placement is important to you, get your listing ready to go in advance and paste it into place. This includes listing "whatever is left over from prior month after the winner chooses" type listing.
5. On the day of the draw date, use Scraimer’s drawing tool to draw a winner. (Or multiple winners, if that's what you wrote in the description.)
5.1. Instructions for using the draw tool are here: https://g4gg.shalom.craimer.org/tools/draw-by-gold/, feel free to contact the G4GG Management Team for assistance in using the draw tool.
5.2. scraimer recommends that you try using the draw tool on the testing geeklist. It'll give you confidence in using the tool, and you can make as many mistakes as you like without repercussion.
6. Please try not to add substantial new items to a lottery item after a few days of listing without checking with the G4GG Management Team first. Some people invest much or all of their limited if they perceive they have a reasonable chance of winning. Dilution, while good for you, may be unfair for bidders.
7. Miscellaneous game entries, like FIMO miniatures, pimp items, etc should be added using Miscellaneous Game Accessory, Miscellaneous Miniatures Game Accessory or Miscellaneous Card Game Accessory as appropriate. If a board game entry is used for the entry, a "Not for the Game" warning must be placed at the top of the entry using font size large.
8. If you edit the item during the month- do so sparingly, AND make it very clear what you changed. Every time you edit it alerts everyone and if you do it frequently I get geekmails.
9. In case anything happens to your item it is wise to hold onto most of your geekgold from items in case refunds are needed.
10. Mutual tipping of items can look unfair, as can giving geekgold to others to bid on your items... be a good chap, we are watching.
11. If you've geekmailed a winner, and gotten no reply at all within two months, then you may keep the geekgold and the items. To re-iterate: you must have made a best effort to make contact, and the winner must have failed entirely to respond. You may also contact the G4GG Management Team if you wish to shorten that time. We will also attempt to contact the winner, and examine what can be done.
The item must not violate the rules of BGG. (See below for relevant rules.
If you're allowed to sell a copy of a game for money, then you can offer it up on G4GG.
* Board Games
* Video Games
* Game accessories for board games, video games or RPGs
* Promotional or handmade items specifically related to board games, video games, or RPGs
You may not post a drawing for:
* Money, Gift cards, cash, etc.
* Anything completely unrelated the main entry, although the following types of item can be added as bonus or as secondary winners.
* Self-printed rethemes of games that completely replace all the components of the game. Re-theming a game is a way that people can get around the copyright issue of the assets (graphics, text) in a game. Since the mechanics of a game cannot be copyrighted, one could create an identical game that violates no laws. This not considered good chap behaviour. Our hobby isn't so big, so most game designers don't see many game sales. It's a shame to deprive a designer from a sale. Especially a designer who made a game you like! (More detailed explanation.)
* Stretch goals are fine, but the main "prize" to be won must be one of the valid items above. If that's not the case, please change your post.
* BGG will not allow you to promote, advertise, or "raise awareness" for your item by listing it in G4GG. This means that if you're the publisher, designer, or have any vested interest in a game or other item, you may not list it. This includes gift cards for your own store. Should you be interested in advertising with BGG, please use the appropriate channels.
If you put up an item you will make the drawing (we're here to help though)
The Scraimer tool is traceable and can be audited.
Use Scraimer’s tool - https://g4gg.shalom.craimer.org/tools/draw-by-gold/
(you may need to use a browser other than Internet Explorer as I can make it work on 3 other browsers but not this one)
This tool will draw the item and post the result to the item.
If you have two prizes you’ll need to do the draw several times removing earlier winners if they are rolled again. You will need to specify if the same person can’t win more than once.
By the last day of the month OR the day you nominated you are expected to draw the item. They must be drawn within 5 days of the end of the month or it is expected that you will return all geekgold.
How to draw....
- follow this link https://g4gg.shalom.craimer.org/tools/draw-by-gold/
Load it to your tool bar. You’re ready.
It’s worth doing a quick check the numbers match the entry.
Amend the item to say it’s closed.
Click draw. That’s it.
Contact that person and arrange shipment of the game.
Send them the game.
If you can't draw the entry I will do it for you - ask and give us a few days’ notice.
Do not delete the item!
Please note: If a drawing error is noticed for whatever reason, a G4GG Management Team member will declare the draw with the error null and void, and the item must be redrawn.
***Please do not advertise any GeekGold for sale in the geeklist. If you wish to sell your geekgold, please do so in the Geekbay section of the website. There are several ways to earn geekgold for free, listed here. As such, no purchase is necessary to enter a G4GG listing.***
Games for Geekgold Banter and discussion thread
Tell us what to give away: A Games for Geekgold survey
Tell us what you want: A Games for Geekgold survey
G4GG Subscription List - Current and Archives
Scraimer tool discussion
G4GG Management Team
Feel free to contact us with questions, problems, issues, concerns or just worries!
The face of G4GG
* Official posts (rulings, news or announcements) to the geeklists or the discussion thread
* Special G4GG Management Team rulings may appear in orange for emphasis (as BGGAdmin posts are in red)
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
The master planner
* Problems that blow up
* Liaison to official, BGG Admins (Well, just Octavian really. He doesn't get to talk to everyone.)
* General pleasantness
The tool man
* All issues on the tool for drawing and the new tools
* Problems that blow up that need more work.
* Explanations of why and how
The rules crew
* Checking all items to see they are 'legal'
* Checking all items to see they are drawn properly
* All the 'Can I list this?' questions (e.g. "Is this a game pimp?" or "Is this something that shouldn't be listed?")
Our Hall of Fame:
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
This user had more :gg: than sense
So it goes.
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
Man on Fire
Games on fire
Burning to play!
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
Bay of Plenty
Baseball been bery bery good to me
This is a picture of a published game designer
Dad retired from US Navy after 20 service in Submarines. Commissioned USS Gato SSN 615 and USS Cavalla SSN 684
For speedy (fast, quick, prompt) answers to your issues, please put in the "Subject" line of your geekmail one of the following keywords:
New to G4GG
General question on G4GG
G4GG tool questions
Listing items question
issue or Problem with G4GG