Stronghold Games has declared 2015 "The Year of Survive!", but I strongly suspect — and this might just be me talking through my hat but hear me out — that the declaration relates to certain games that Stronghold owner Stephen Buonocore plans to publish in 2015, starting with Survive: Space Attack!, a space-based reimagining of Julian Courtland-Smith's Survive: Escape from Atlantis! by a trio of designers already familiar with both Stronghold Games and spacey games: Brian, Sydney and Geoff Engelstein. Here's an overview of this game from the publisher:Quote:In Survive: Space Attack!, players try to escape from a space station as it comes under attack by aliens. While Survive: Space Attack! is similar to the original Survive! — with players moving their tokens out of a tiled location that slowly falls apart and scoring points for those who survive — additional features of the new game include:Buonocore expects to release Survive: Space Attack! in September 2015, and the base game will be joined by two mini-expansions: Survive: Space Attack! - The Crew Strikes Back!, which consists of twenty crew cards that players can use during the game, each with a unique power, and Survive: Space Attack! - 5-6 Player, which (unsurprisingly) includes extra spaceman tokens so that up to six players can try not to die in the cold vacuum of space. Survive: Space Attack! carries a $50 MSRP, with each expansion selling for $10.
• A double-sided game board that enables a variety of starting set-ups, each with its own challenges.
• Fighter ships that give players the ability to capture and redeploy alien creatures.
• A weapon system of laser turrets that players can use to defend the space station against aliens.
• Special player powers on the tiles that can be combined in various ways.
• Four tile thicknesses to create a 3D look for the space station before it starts crumbling under fire.
• Alien creatures that can evolve to become even more powerful.
Survive: Dolphins & Squids & 5-6 Players...Oh My!, which collects three mini-expansions — Dolphins & Dive Dice, Giant Squid, and 5-6 Players — for Survive: Escape from Atlantis! in a single $20 package.
• Stronghold Games has also opened preorders for Evan Derrick's Dark Moon (which is due out June 24, 2015) and Michael Keller and Andreas Odendahl's La Granja (which bears a July 2015 U.S. release date). (I'll note in passing that after speaking with the designer and publisher, Dark Moon will stay listed together with BSG Express and not separated. I'm sure that designer Evan Derrick can expound upon this reasoning in blog posts that he plans to write about the evolution of the game to its published form.)
• Other titles due out in 2015 from Stronghold include Among the Stars: Revival, which is both a two-player only game from Vangelis Bagiartakis and Panagiotis Zinoviadis and an expansion for their Among the Stars, and a 30th anniversary edition of Code 777, with both of these titles expected to be available in August 2015.
To submit news, a designer diary, outrageous rumors, or other material, contact us at email@example.com.
30 Apr 2015
- [+] Dice rolls