W. Eric Martin
• UK publisher Osprey Games has announced a 75th anniversary edition of Escape from Colditz, designed by Pat Reid — a British officer who escaped from the prisoner-of-war camp in Colditz, Germany during World War II — and Brian Degas, who wrote a television series based on Reid's escape. The 75th anniversary doesn't correspond to the release of the board game, but to Reid's actual escape from Colditz.
Osprey Games notes that this edition, due out in October 2016, will have wooden bits, new artwork by Peter Dennis, and replicas of POW artifacts from Degas' collection.
• Anders Fager, co-designer of The HellGame, has joined the
design team of Siege of the Citadel, which Modiphius Entertainment plans to debut at Spiel 2016. Update, Nov. 30: I've now received a note from Modiphius clarifying that Fager will not be part of the design team, which is what seemed to be the case in the original announcement, but will be contributing in-game fiction for the Siege of the Citadel project.
• Spielworxx has signed a new game from Stefan Risthaus with the working title Gentes for release in 2017. (Spielworxx released Risthaus' Arkwright in 2014.) Publisher Uli Blennemann describes the design as belonging to the genre of civilization games and having some interesting twists in the field of time management.
Prototype of Gentes
• U.S. publisher 1A Games took over the Tide of Iron line from Fantasy Flight Games in March 2013, with the Kickstarted Tide of Iron: Stalingrad being its first release in the line. (HT: atraangelis) In a Nov. 24, 2015 update on that KS, Chris Williams from 1A Games has announced the end of its involvement with ToI:
It has been jointly decided by both 1A and FFG that the time has come for the two companies to part ways. As a result, FFG has taken back all of the inventory and all the control of the ToI property effective immediately.
FFG has given us no direct information about what their plans for the future of the line may be. Any questions concerning Tide of Iron which do not regard this kickstarter — rules interpretations, future expansions, replacement parts, etc... — should be directed at FFG. 1A Games is no longer able to sell, produce, develop, or market anything to do with the Tide of Iron game. The files currently available for download on our website (which will remain there for the foreseeable future) are our final offerings to the line.
• Neuroshima Hex! designer Michał Oracz is partnering with Jakub Wisniewski on a board game version of the wartime survival video game This War of Mine to be titled, appropriately enough, This War of Mine: The Board Game. In its announcement, game developer 11 Bit Studios states that the game will include a solo variant, allow for play with up to six players, and be playable out of the box without reading the rules thanks to a companion app, notes Polygon.
"The boardgame significantly broadens the original game's universe and emphasises the depth of the plot, yet its main focus will be on human interactions driven by survival instinct and group decision-making," states the press release. "You will be able to play as the well-known characters from the electronic version of the game and face hundreds of new challenges and difficult choices."