Jaime "Jason Rider" PoloSpain
S/C de Tenerife
After the release of Colonial:Europe's Empires Overseas, we get in contact with Christophe Pont to make him a small interview to know a little bit more about him, his game and his company.
I hope you like it.
* How do you start at the boardgames?
My brother, how's 9 nine years older than me used to test wargames and others on me, very early in my life. We also played a great lego-wargame, and Playmobil-wargame (this one wioth my cousins).
* Which was your first game that you get as a gift or you bought?
My brother had a lot. The first one I bought myself, I don't remember, but "Siege" comes to my mind.
* How much time do you use in a week for boardgames?
The whole week I'm into this business, but I don't play that much, I get a lot of feedbacks.. When I play, it's usually GMT's card-drivens.
* How much time do you spend to finish a game (idea, test...)?
1 year. 1 year and a half was the longest time I've spent (Colonial)
* What can you tell us abour your first games?
I was a teenager. I played them with my group of players, they were quie successful there.
* What can you tell us about Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas?
A awful lot of "streamlining" !
* How did you get the idea to make the game?
In Varanasi, holiest city of India, thinking about the culture schock, wanting a game about the full story of Colonial Europe (I didn't manage yet, the XIXth century is still out of it)
* Can you tell us a bit more about the game?
It's mainly diplomatic. Very hard to figure how to win. Great replayability.
* How did you start your own company? How do you think to publish Game of Thrones in French?
I was into the novels and the card game, and I thought this was a next big thing, as they were so good. I contacted FFG and was at the right time right place, so I got the deal.
* Why did you not continue with GoT?
When the game became a Living card game, there was 6 Months of confusion. Also, the initial sales of the base box were not very good in France, so Patrice Gasser and I decided to let it go.
* Do you play your own games?
Sure. For test purposes.
* do you play online? If you do it, what games do you play online?
Video gams : Total War, Napoleonic and Shogun 2 Vassal : For the People
* Will be published in Spanish any of your games?
I'm waiting for the answer of a Spanish wholesaler. Colonial has to appeal to the Spanish audience !
* If you could design a game in the history of games... which one would be that one?
Magic the Gathering haha
* Which other desingers do you admire?
Mark Hermann, Richard Berg, Phil Eklund, the hard core of Games Workshop
* Can you tell us your top 5 games?
For the People, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Blackbeard, Betrayal at House on the Hill
* If you only could choose one game to play with 3 friends more, what game will you chose?
* And to play alone?
* What was the last game that you played and you get addicted?
* Any future proyect?
Oh yes. The next one is not by me. Another will be in the Colonial "Range".
* Any advise for the new designers?
I still consider myself a new one. 1. There's always a solution. 2. When everything seems lost, wait for some Months and have a fresh look. 3 Test early on, as fun is the magical spark a game always needs, and it's very hard to figure out without trying.
Último Turno es un blog que nace por la iniciativa de varios amigos que les gustan los juegos de mesa y deciden exponer sus opiniones para que todo el mundo las pueda leer y opinar.
- [+] Dice rolls