One of highlights of my BGG year is the People's Choice top 100 Solo Games and now the voting for the 2016 edition has started.
It's the time for solo gamers to revel in the best games the hobby has to offer them - and purely coincidentally it's also the time that the most of us experience our wallets being hit by severe feelings of inadequacy.
Not only does it produce one of the greatest resources available to solo gamers, it's also great fun to participate.
If you have no clue what I'm talking about, then don't despair. It's simply a top 100 list of solo games based on votes from the community.
How to find a use for all your money in one easy step
The list from last year can be found here: 2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games. If you're a new solo gamer it's a great place to go for inspiration and if you're an experienced solo gamer it's a great place to go for inspiration.
So give the list a look - you know you want to.
How to participate
To participate send a geekmail toKevin Erskine(kerskine)United States
KentuckyProud Husband, Dad to 3, Grandpa to 8
Kevin's post announcing the start of voting and the simple rules for participating can be found here: 2016 People's Choice top 100 Solo Games Starting.
I hope you'll join the rest of us in making this list and following it's gradual reveal in December.
Participate in my contest and win a whole lot of nothing
I also hope that you'll participate in a silly and prizeless contest in the comments section of this post.
The rules are simple: Post a comment here naming the game you think will be placed as number 42 on the 2016 Top 100 and the number of people you think will vote in total this year (not the number of people who'll vote for the #42 game).
Last year 206 people voted and the year before that (which was also the first year) it was 86.
You can choose the same game and number of votes as other participants as long as you don't choose the same combination as another voter.
You score 42 points if you guess the #42 game correctly and one less point for each position away from #42 your game of choice places (down to a minimum of 0 points).
Additionally you score 58 points minus the number of voters your guess is off from the actual number.
So, if the game you name ends up as number 53 you score 31 points for that and if you guess that there'll be 1234 people voting and it turns out that 1199 voted you score an additional 23 points for a total of 54 points.
The participant who scores the most points wins nothing as does everybody else.
In case of ties the winner will be the first of the tied participants to post a comment here containing the word "penguin" and nothing else (posts like that before I announce the final scores do not count).
I'll gift Kevin a number of equal to the score of the winner of this contest.
* njshaw2 - Deep Space D-6 - 700 voters
* Dave in Ledbury - Ottoman Sunset - 662 voters
* MadMihi - Tiny Epic Galaxies - 642 total
* Ibbo - Zombicide: Black Plague - 600 voters
* pegasus09 - Forbidden Desert - 523
* TheUbiquitous - Forbidden Desert - 512 voters
* Tigerherz - Thunderstone Advance - 505 voters
* Dubious Bryn - La Granja - 465 voters
* Kin Hassar - Rallyman - 451 voters
* trevordeboer - Freedom: The Underground Railroad - 442 voters
* CarcuS - Warfighter (original) - 436 voters
* joestin - D-Day Dice - 425
* haplo92 - Forge War - 402 voters
* schmittrs - Conflict of Heroes - 402 voters
* JudgementDave - Rallyman - 400 voters
* russ - D-Day Dice - 396 voters
* Whats-his-face - Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp - 393 voters
* darkmind - Forbidden Desert - 392 voters
* Mantheron - Castellion - 375 voters
* Christianv - Forbidden Desert - 367 voters
* ColintheFlea) - Kingdom Death Monster - 343 voters
* budkin - Neanderthal - 333 voters
* Gizensha - Forbidden Desert - 333 voters
* The Professor - Mice & Mystics - 333 voters
* Gribbon - Forbidden Island - 315 voters
* davekuhns - Rallyman - 314 voters
* Imot90 - Tiny Epic Galaxy - 352
* maloma - Baseball Highlights 2045 - 650 voters
* camidon - Pandemic: The Cure - 589 voters
* AernoutMJC - Ghost Stories - 511 voters
* bikefreak - Pandemic: The Cure - 363 voters
* userid122002 - Terraforming Mars - 451 voters
* mikeinbc - Ghost Stories - 420 voters
* settlerdave - Ghost Stories - 401 voters
* govmiller - Pandemic: The Cure - 329 voters
* Raygun1966 - Pathfinder - Rise of the Runelords - 325 voters
* Raujour - Glass Road - 298 voters
* darsh97 - Flash Point - 297 voters
* JK777 - Tiny Epic Galaxies - 280 voters
* Bobble Hat - Mage Knight - 649 voters
* pelish - Arkham Horror - 585 voters
* Redheaded Pharmacist - Agricola - 481 voters
* kldonnelly - March of the Ants - 477 voters
* martis08 - Agricola - 429 voters
* Cuparyk - Viticulture - 420 voters
* gentle - Zombicide - 399 voters
* flashshadow69 - Dawn of the Zeds - 381 voters
* abendoso - Gears of War - 357 voters
* gardener1817 - Hostage Negotiator - 312 voters
* davidcoleman - Onirim - 290 voters
* jiistme - A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game - 266 voters
* MAJBrown22 - Shadowrun: Crossfire - 224 voters
* codygarfield - Greenland - 200 voters
* Reprint - Zombie in My Pocket - 98 voters
Dubious Bryn 36
The Professor 34
Dave in Ledbury 16
Bobble Hat 1
Kin Hassar 0
Scores after voter count reveal
A blog about solitaire games and how to design them. I'm your host, Morten, co-designer of solo modes for games such as Scythe, Gaia Project and Viticulture.
The voting has started for the 2016 People's Choice top 100 Solo Games - and a silly prizeless contest
25 Oct 2016
- [+] Dice rolls