W. Eric Martin
• After a brief interlude caused by me attending two other conventions, I've finally finished posting all the game overview videos that BGG shot at Spielwarenmesse 2017, the annual toy and game fair in Nürnberg, Germany, which took place Feb. 1-6, 2017. Thankfully few of these games are out yet, so these videos can still serve as previews of what's coming, such as this overview of Reiner Knizia's AXIO, a new iteration of the Ingenious tile-laying system from Pegasus Spiele that was announced at the end of January 2017.
• Not surprisingly, I ran into Reiner Knizia during Spielwarenmesse — several times actually, including a scheduled meeting to talk about what life is like for a game designer at such a convention. If you plan to make a living as a game designer, you don't necessarily need to attend such shows, but you'll be doing yourself a favor if you do so that you can survey in one location much of what's happening in the game industry around the world.
• The Spiel des Jahres-winning Torres from Michael Kiesling and Wolfgang Kramer is coming back into print courtesy of HUCH! & friends. If you're already familiar with the game, you can now check out the new (old) components, and if not, you can learn the basics of gameplay.
• Cranio Creations has a big legacy-style co-op coming from designers Asger Harding Granerud, Daniel Skjold Pedersen, and Daniele Tascini, with Legacy of Pirates giving you ten linked scenarios and a huge 3D pirate ship that serves as the game board.
• I already wrote up the co-op game Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time from Matthew Dunstan, Brett J. Gilbert, and Funforge after getting an overview at Spielwarenmesse 2017, but for those who want to see the game in action, you can now check out this preview video.
• To finish off our coverage of Spielwarenmesse 2017, here's a nearly seven-minute walk through half of Hall 12. Man, that hall is massive! We just walked up and down the aisles shooting things without stopping and still saw very little of it. Maybe this video will be of interest simply to show some of the hundreds of other products at the toy fair aside from the games on which we've been focusing.
Outside of the few dozen game overview videos I've featured in BGG News posts over the past month, we have many dozen more on the individual game pages, with all 101 videos in a Spielwarenmesse 2017 playlist on our YouTube channel. So many games are coming, not to mention those I saw at NY Toy Fair 2017 and the 30-40 games we recorded previews of at FIJ 2017. Ideally I can post all of those videos before heading to PAX East on March 9, 2017 to see yet more games coming in the months ahead...