Alderac Entertainment Group highlighted how it had scaled back its game releases in 2017 — with only a dozen new titles being released, three of them exclusively in the Big Game Night package at Gen Con 50 — compared to sixteen new games appearing in 2016. (These totals do not include Smash Up expansions and other game line extensions.) It's not clear right now where 2018 will fall in the rankings of "number of new titles released" for AEG, but the publisher has revealed some of what's coming:
• Rüdiger Dorn's Istanbul: The Dice Game, which Pegasus Spiele debuted at SPIEL '17 in October, will hit North American markets in an AEG version in April 2018. For a taste of the game right now, you can watch this overview that BGG recorded with Pegasus Spiele in Essen.
• John D. Clair's huge card-crafting, city-controlling game Edge of Darkness has already been previewed at conventions throughout 2017, such as our video coverage at the 2017 Origins Game Fair, and this title should be out sometime in 2018.
• Clair also has a new Mystic Vale expansion heading to market — Conclave — with this item consisting of new cards for use with the base game as well as a storage box to hold everything Vale in one place.
• AEG will release a second new game from Clair in 2018: Space Base, which bears this minimalist description: "Roll 2D6 to built the ultimate space base!" Both Conclave and Space Base are due out in March/April 2018.
• In May 2018, The Captain Is Dead space saga gets a new episode in Lockdown, with the crew finding themselves imprisoned on their own ship. Hostile aliens have taken control, and the crew must work together and remain hidden while attempting to regain control of the ship.
• Smash Up: That '70s Expansion, another expansion for the vast Smash Up line that can be played as a two-player game on its own, features factions of truckers, vigilantes, disco dancers, and kung fu fighters.
• Finally, we have Lost Atlantis, a design by Jani and Tero Moliis due out in Q4 2018 that AEG describes only as a "3X game under the sea".
To submit news, a designer diary, outrageous rumors, or other material, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- [+] Dice rolls