Mostly Harmless

Print-and-play projects, thrift store finds, hidden gems, snippets of conversation, images and words. Usually about board games.
Recommend
124 
 Thumb up
28.00
 tip
 Hide

Mario 3 Carcassonne!

Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is the finished project, a fan-made total conversion of Carcassonne to Mario 3. 72 game tiles and 45 tokens on mini standees. The project took about six hours from start to finish. Posted pictures on the Dice Tower Facebook, where the post got over 185 reactions and likes so far, and a lot of people lost their minds with surprise and enjoyment. Around 80 more people reacted and liked on the Print and Play Gaming Facebook group. Read on for the Work In Progress (WIP) story.

BTW, I did not create this concept or art, that credit and kudos all belongs to:
Ricardo Gonzalez
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb


Please direct all love and thanks to him, and like/recommend his work in the Files area of Carcassone’s BGG entry.


1. Here are all the materials for this build: Files printed on plain paper using color laser printer, 110lb. card stock, 3M 77 Spray Adhesive, Fiskars scissors and paper trimmer, mini binder clips as standee bases, and two different thicknesses of PVC vinyl placemats from the thrift store to add thickness and substance to the tiles and tokens, and make them feel good in hand. My goal with this build was to achieve component quality that meets or exceeds that you would expect in a mass production game.


2. After adhering the image on card stock and thick vinyl, I used the paper trimmer to rapidly cut the sheet into columns or rows, then into individual game tiles. As it turns out, placemat vinyl is a good material because it is easy to cut with a paper trimmer, yet yields a firm, solid, substantial game tile that feels premium.


3. Here are all 72 tiles after cutting. The paper trimmer gave consistent edge and corner alignment, for the most part. Any errors were human ones.


4. Here’s a closer look at the tiles from the side. I’ve been experimenting with materials in my quest for thicker, more luxurious components, and so far, vinyl is my favorite.


5. Here are the token sheets before cutting. Same as the tiles, I adhered these to card stock, then to a thinner kind of PVC vinyl, but since each token is double-sided, each is comprised of two layers of vinyl and card stock. As a result, these were too thick and too tiny to effectively cut with the paper trimmer, so I had to fall back on good old scissors to cut each one. That’s 45 tokens, requiring 45 separate cuts, and quite a bit of elbow grease. Whew! Patience and perseverance are two things this PnP hobby will teach you, for sure!


6. Tokens all cut, used mini binder clips with handles removed as the base to make each token a standee. Each set of nine tokens required a different color of binder clip, in each different player color: blue, green, red, yellow, and black. Up to five players can play and enjoy together.


7. Nothing left to explain, just beauty shots now.


8. Very satisfied with this build, my 21st PnP project. Maybe now I will finally learn how to play Carcassonne!

Thanks for coming along on this PnP journey, and please post comments and questions, I love them!
Twitter Facebook
21 Comments
Subscribe sub options Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 pm
Post Rolls
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}