Sam Stoddard is an American game designer working for Wizards of the Coast on the game Magic: The Gathering.
Hailing from Columbus, Ohio, Sam first began his assocciation with the game playing casually in his childhood. As he got older, he would compete at higher levels, finding success in Grand Prix tournaments and Pro Tour Qualifiers, ultimately playing in seven Pro Tour tournaments between 2005 and 2008. His love of the game led to him hosting a podcast called InContention, working as a writer for Gathering Magic in 2010, entering Great Designer Search 2 in that year, and transitioning his writing career to Star City Games in 2010 and 2011.
Though he was not among the finalists of 2010's Great Designer Search, Sam would continue to seek work with Wizards of the Coast, eventually landing an internship with them in 2012. That internship led to a permanent position as a game designer for Magic: The Gathering products. In addition to working on both design and development teams, Sam had an extended span as the writer of Latest Developments from 2012 to 2017, making him the face of the company's development department. He remains a senior developer to this day.
Abridged List of Notable Products
- 2013 Magic: The Gathering – Duel Decks: Heroes vs. Monsters (First credit on a product's design & development team, a set of preconstructed decks & a self-contained two-player game)
- 2013 Magic: The Gathering – Dragon's Maze (First credit on a development team for an expert expansion)
- 2015 Dragons of Tarkir (First credit on a design team for an expert expansion)
- 2015 Magic Origins (First credit as lead of a development team for a core set)
- 2016 Eldritch Moon (First credit as lead of a development team for an expert expansion)
- 2017 Modern Masters 2017 (First credit as lead of a design team for a reprint set)
- 2017 Ixalan (First credit as co-lead of a development team for an expert expansion)
- 2018 Signature Spellbook: Jace (The sole person credited for game design on this product)