There are at least three different varieties of the first Joker edition of Alfapet. All of them have the same cover design and most likely the same product number. The rules strongly imply that "hooking" (laying a new word that doesn't include any previously laid tile) is not allowed, although the example of play at the end does include an instance of hooking. C is worth 10 points and Z, where present, is worth 8 points.
The known production differences can be summed up as follows:
- The cover image has a slightly different offset in the first variety. As a result the Joker logo is only some 2mm from the edge of the lid, as opposed to some 5mm in the second and third varieties.
- The first variety has no Z tile, but instead has a ninth T tile. The second and third varieties have a Z tile and eight T tiles.
- The first and second varieties have poor quality holders of thin plastic that cracks easily. The third variety has much more sturdy holders.
- The first and second varieties have cast indented off-white tiles. The third variety has flat white tiles cut from a large sheet.
- The board in the first and second varieties has a grey border, whereas in the third variety the border is red.
- The second variety includes a zip bag for the tiles. It doesn't seem that the first or third variety does.
Note that the cover image for all varieties shows indented tiles, thin holders and a Z, matching the actual composition of the second variety only.