Apex is a deck-building game, played solo or with up to 6 friends. You play as a prehistoric Apex predator competing for territory and resources against other predators. Each playable species has a unique deck to master. Each deck has different strengths, weaknesses, and strategies— creating a varied and constantly evolving experience.
Your species must overcome a very brutal environment including harsh climate changes, disease, attacks from predators, grievous wounds, infections, and deadly prey. The game incorporates many dinosaurs that behave in their own distinct way. The goal of the game is to endure the environment, build up the population and evolve your species, and become the apex predator.
In this second edition, every Apex Deck now features 3 new Alpha Cards: Juvenile, Adult and Veteran.
The Alpha Cards are a new addition to Apex that represent the Alpha of your species. Players will start with the Juvenile in their deck, while the other two cards wait in their Hatchery. Players can Evolve and replace their Juvenile into the Adult Alpha by spending Evolve points in the same way they would on any Apex or Evolve card. Later, they may advance their Adult to the Veteran Alpha. This creates a great way for the player to get further invested into their species journey and feel more involved.
These all new Alpha Cards add a whole level of immersion that was not present in the first edition. In Multi-player mode, the Boss cards are removed and you now become the boss by being able to directly ambush players with a pack led by your Alpha. You must lure your opponent's Alpha out and attempt to kill it, claiming the throne of the Apex predator.
- 525 cards includes
- 7 playable Apex Decks - Acrocanthosaurus, Carnotaurus, Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Utahraptor, Velociraptor
- 22 diverse animals to hunt
- 11 dangerous carnivores
- 8 opposing Boss cards with Minions (acts as artificial players for solo play)
- 11 environmental effects
- 5 genetic evolution types
- 3 grievous wound types
- 1 x Hunting Grounds game board (24" x 16")
- 6 x Nesting Grounds mats (16" x 9")
- a 80mm T.rex miniature Player Marker
- 5 x Foam Blocks (to protect cards and fill empty spaces)
| Review : Let the Hunt Begin (by distributor)
- Avoid conflict; your resources will dwindle away and your species will die out.
- Gain too many Afflictions; your deck becomes bloated and your species will die out.
- Don’t Evolve your Apex enough; you become inefficient and your species will die out.
- Ignore adding ranks to your species; you become the prey and your species will die out.
In Apex, everything and everyone is trying to survive, you just have to be the last one.