The game of Go was first published in 1970 in France by a small abstract game publisher, 'l'Impensé Radical', which was also a book publisher. The game was first published in small quantities but its success was followed by more editions.
The content of the box included:
- a board
- black and white plastic pawns
- an introductory booklet written by Roger J. Girault and titled 'Traité du jeu de Go'.
- a sticker on the inside of the box's top cover, giving details about the publisher, distributor and additional books/Go strategy materials available for purchase from the editor
- a loose sticker indicating 'Oscar du jouet 1971' within the box insert
- a sticker on the box front indicating 'La Hotte aux Jouets' as the distributor of the game.
Source: game material/booklet