I was heavily influenced by Kabong's 3D Splendor box (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing
and wanted to get a little more out of my Graphic Design Degree.
I had plenty of scrap cardboard lying around and wanted to create my own box. I positioned the cards so they sit vertically. Chip support is provided by a paper towel tube (toilet paper tube would work as well). I also made a printable art cover that includes working bleed so the art will apply nicely.
1. print the file on 11x17 or tile print it with enough overlap that you can tape it together
2. secure to cardboard. I personally made sure one fold was on a existing folded part of cardboard.
3. Use a "bone folder" to score the folds into the cardboard.
4. Use a x-acto to cut the pattern out.
5. Assemble the box using either glue or masking tape
6. Drop in the chip platform
7. Position the card barrier in place and tape/glue
7. Test fit
8. Get a paper towel tube and cut it in two halves
9. Fit the paper towel halves to the platform.
10. I glued one half of the paper towel to a strip of cardboard and the other side to the cardboard, but you can tape/glue them together in any fashion.
11.Asssemble Lid, keep tabs on the inside of the box.
OPTIONAL COLOR ARTWORK:
12. score artwork (printed on 11x17 $1.40 at Fedex/Kinkos)
13. Cut out artwork
14. glue to box (I used white glue/elmer's because it softened the paper and had a slow dry time while I maneuvered it into place.