JunaCon III Math Trade
20100 TurkuAll reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellecand aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Moi! If you have not participated in a math trade before, don't worry, it's not as complicated as you might think. Basically, you give a game you don't need any more, and you get a game you want. Read the following links, and feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread.
For future trades, please subscribe to the Finnish Math Trade notification GeekList.
The quick look through the peephole: A 'Math Trade'? WTF is that?
The once-over: Math trade guide
The full monty: Wiki: Math trades
Please read the following text, even if you have participated in a trade before.
Deadline to add games: Monday, March 12th 2012, 23:00
Deadline to submit want lists: Monday, March 19th 2012, 23:00
STATUS: SUBMITTING WANT LISTS (read on)
Discussion thread: JunaCon III Math Trade discussion thread
(Please go there and click "Subscribe")
Want List Generator: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
(Read on for more information)
This is a convention math trade, conducted in advance of JunaCon III, which will be held in Turku, Finland on March 24-25th 2012, with the handover of games happening at the event.
Those not coming to the event are welcome to participate, but must either ship their games or make arrangements for others to take their offered games to Turku. Consequently, they must either pay for shipping for the games they receive, or make similar arrangements for others to bring their obtained games from Turku. Feel free to post such requests in the discussion thread.
Use of OLWLG is necessary to participate. OLWLG makes managing a math trade easy and automated, and allows you to add items in future trades much easier.
If you have not used OLWLG before, do this now:
1. Go to http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/.
2. Click "login".
3. Receive the automated GeekMail and click on the login link.
Some important principles:
1. DIFFERENT GAMES HAVE DIFFERENT VALUES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE
- There is no such thing as "upgrading" or "downgrading".
- Example: I wouldn't even give Ticket to Ride: Alvin & Dexter to get Tigris & Euphrates, but someone else would give Twilight Struggle for it.
2. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GAMES ARE COMPLETE AND IN GOOD CONDITION
- This works on trust and good faith. It can be a pain to count the components, but that is less than the pain the others will feel when they play the game and miss that one tile.
- If in doubt about the condition / edition / language of game you want, make a comment and ask.
- Suggestion: If you are missing something from a game you are offering, contact the publisher. Most will send you components free of charge.
- Suggestion: Use the BGG trade manager to formalise trades, and to leave feedback for each other.
and most importantly...
3. IF YOU WOULD NOT BE HAPPY WITH A TRADE, DON'T PROPOSE IT
- This means that you should not put a game in the want list for one of your games unless you would be happy giving your game for that game.
- Assume that this one trade would be the only one made. Are you ok with that?
- Example: I could give Puerto Rico, Architekton or Regista to get Twilight Struggle, but I would not be 100% happy about giving Puerto Rico for it. I therefore don't put it in the want list for Twilight Struggle. If I trade, win! If I don't, no biggie.
ADDING ITEMS TO THE LIST
For the first time you participate: After having read all of these instructions, click "Add Item" just below the GeekList header.
For each item you must list the level of language dependence, the condition of the game and your shipping terms. Please ensure that your shipping terms are very clear and unambiguous (which means don't use the term "mirror shipping"- write out in full exactly what you mean). It is your responsibility to ensure that the games you are offering are complete unless you have stated otherwise in your entry.
For future math trades: Use OLWLG.
1. Within OLWLG, click "[resync BGG collection data now]". This will tell OLWLG which items you have for trade, which ones you want, which ones you already have, which ones you have played, want to play, etc.
2. Find this math trade in the list of active math trades, and click this:
3. From the drop-down list, select the past math trade you were in and then click "Submit Query". SCREENSHOT
4. The items now will have the language, condition and shipping notes you previously had already filled in. The system will warn you if you don't have that game listed as "for-trade" any more. SCREENSHOT
5. Click "Add this to Geeklist". This will open a new window on BGG where you can edit anything on the item before you click "Save" and add that item.
- Adding sweeteners
Sweeteners are required to be listed using the GAMEID formatting (Example: Coloretto; to do this: [ G A M E I D = XXXX ] without the spaces). To find the Game ID simply search the game and at the right hand side of the games page is listed the Game ID. For example, Coloretto's game id is 5782. If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.
Do NOT include links to other game's BGG page in your entry unless you are actually including them as a sweetener. Again, if you include a link to a game in your description you will be required to give that game.
If you would like to include a link to a game you are NOT including; use www.tinyurl.com (or a similiar service) to create a link that will redirect to the game's page.
- Adding "Pick X number of games" items
If you are offering a Pick X number of games from a list you are required to add it to the GeekList it as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID: 23953) and must include "+altname+ Pick X -altname-" in the item description.
- Adding money items
If you are offering cash, then add it as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID: 23953) and include "+altname+ X EUR -altname-" in the item description. If it is something other than a direct transfer (e.g. PayPal), indicate if you will cover fees.
- Not trading something anymore?
If you change your mind about the game you are trading please DO NOT REMOVE IT FROM THE TRADE. Edit the entry to say that you are no longer trading the game, but keep the item in place as deleted items can cause a lot of complications when running the trade. You can also just submit an empty want list for the item.
Money and Geekgold arbitrage are strictly prohibited. (In other words, trying to trade your €20 for someone else's €30 or your 100GG for 200GG is prohibited. Do not enter money/Geekgold items in the want lists for your offered money/Geekgold.
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
SUBMITTING WANT LISTS
After the game submission deadline passes and the Geeklist is locked, you can submit what games you would like to receive.
Want lists MUST be submitted via OLWLG. Within OLWLG, click onto see the list of all offered games.
For any item that you wish to add to any of your want lists click on the "Add" button. A pop-up appears with all the games you are offering, simply tick the entries you would trade for that item. Click "Save".
Please remember that when you add an item to a want list you are agreeing that you are prepared to accept a trade for that item. You may be just as likely to receive the items on your want lists that you 'least' want as those you 'most' want so do not add an item if receiving it may leave you disappointed! Submitting a want list is your agreement to trade for any item on that list.
When you have gone through the list click on the link at the very bottom "edit your wants" which will take you to a summary where you can make changes and rank items in order of preference (remember to save any changes).
- Duplicate protection
If there are two copies of a game that you want, and you would be happy with either one but not both, you need duplicate protection. So, assuming that you have added two separate copies of the same game in your want lists, you will want to activate that. This creates a "dummy" item that ensures you will only get one item. These links explain it better:
Jeffy Jeff's OLWLG: Duplicate Protection For Dummies
Please remember to hit the 'submit' button after you have finished creating your want lists.
You can edit your wantlists up until the deadline. However, you must re-submit them using the process described above.
When the want list submission period has closed I will draw down the combined want lists and publish them here with the trade results. Please wait for confirmation before going forth with any trades.
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
If you want to find out more about the OLWLG here's the wiki page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG
You might find that OLWLG is not always up to date with the GeekList. I have to sync them manually. In general here are the stages we will go through:
1. Add games.
2. Wait for the deadline for adding games to pass.
3. Submit want lists.
If you try to submit want lists before the proper time to do so, you might find that someone changed something before the list locked, and you were stuck with a game in the wrong language/edition.
I will be using TradeMaximiser to run the results. You can find the details here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/TradeMaximizer.
You may comment under each item to ask questions about that item, but for general comments, the discussion thread for this trade can be found here:
JunaCon III Math Trade discussion thread
(Please go there and click "Subscribe")
This trade will not be using priorities. We will simply maximise the number of trades. The trade moderator's word is final. By adding (offering) a game in this trade, you indicate that you have read the above terms and agree with them. Please keep to the deadlines, and subscribe to the discussion thread.
Deadline-Offers: Monday, March 12th, 2012, 11:00 PM EET
Deadline-Wants: Monday, March 19th, 2012, 11:00 PM EET
- [+] Dice rolls