Back from Essen 2012 with...
- Mark Rivera(mrivera)United KingdomLUCHADOR!
My friends and I have the attitude that Essen is a great opportunity to pick up Indie games and unusual games that might be hard to get for a while back in Blighty. There is also the challenge of 1 suitcase and 20 kilos max weight or get surcharged by EasyjetRecommend
Essen 2012 was brilliant. My 5th Essen, it was certainly the largest and I think I covered a fair amount of mileage as I tried to squeeze in as much as possible yesterday and today. It was a great opportunity to make new contacts and friends, and meet virtual friends in the flesh and that's what I enjoy most. I had a great time and would recommend a trip to Essen to any gamer for sure.
Some observations -
1) The amount of Indie game companies was astonishing. I think this bodes well for our great hobby.
2) It seemed to me that most of the creativity was coming from the Indies as opposed to the established heavyweights. Can't measure this but it just seemed that way.
3) Germans make the BEST pastries!
4) Small games may be the new BIG (there were were quite a few)
ok, 5) I was thrilled by the reception of a game I've designed
So anyhoo, here's a list of what I picked up at Essen 2012 and possibly comments about a few games that I didn't pick up. I will add further comments as I can find he time.
- [+] Dice rolls