Official 2013 Geek Madness Tournament: Preliminary Round - CLOSED
Welcome to the 10th Annual Geek Madness Tournament!
Welcome to the annual Geek Madness Tournament! Every Spring, we pit the top 64-seeded teams against each other to crown one game the Geek-Certified Aldie Award winner. This is a single-elimination tournament where the game with the most votes (thumbs) advances to the next round.
This year will be based on the changes implemented over the last couple of years with a few tweaks based on the feedback received last year. First off, only the top 50 "unique" games will be automatically included. The final fourteen spaces will be reserved for community nominated games. Second, we are combining games that are too similar to free up a couple more spaces. Therefore, games such as Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue will be combined under Dominion (the original version of the game) but given the higher ranking.
1) The decision to combine games is based on how similar the games are to each other. Is the second version similar to an expanded version of the base game? Is it a reprint or special edition? Is it by the same publisher? Games will go under the original game of the combo but given the higher rank.
2) You may nominate up to 2 games by posting an entry for them by Monday, March 4th, at 12:00 pm BGG time (Central). The games receiving the most votes by the ending time will be included in the official tournament. The top 4 will fill the slots 45-48, while the next 10 will fill the slots 55-64.
3) The currently ranked "unique" games in the 51-64 position will be included below to fight to retain their inclusion (not necessarily their position).
4) You may vote for as many games as you like. You should vote for games that you nominate (in other words, only thumbs received count).
5) Please do not renominate a game that has already been nominated (including games that are already guaranteed a spot) - instead, please vote for it by thumbing it. Please check after your post that there wasn't a simultaneous post. The newest duplicate entry will be deleted and thumbs voided.
6) Games will be sorted by rank within the GeekList. This will also determine ties (highest rank gets in).
7) Please only included published games. If a game is in the distribution pipeline currently, that may be included. Generally, newer titles won't do as well so you may not want to waste your nomination on them.
8) I reserve the right to make modifications as we go along to better fit the spirit of the competition.
Voting for this round ends Wednesday, March 6th, at approximately 12:00 pm BGG time (Central).
You may vote for any games, whether you have owned or played them. You can vote based on any criteria that is important to you. You can cheer for your team, recruit legitimate voters, and rib the other team - just keep it modestly civil! Please feel free to comment on the games and match-ups, and most importantly, have fun!
IMPORTANT: This is meant as a fun competition. Please only vote with your main User account, i.e., ONE VOTE PER PERSON PER GAME PER ROUND (yes, you may vote for both games in a pairing if you really are undecided). Do not create "dummy" or shill accounts to vote multiple times as those votes will be voided if discovered.
End dates are as follows but subject to change:
1st Round Thursday, March 14 (~7 days)
2nd Round Wednesday, March 20 (~6 days)
3rd Round Monday, March 25 (~5 days)
Quarter-Finals Friday, March 29 (~4 days)
Semi-Finals Wednesday, April 3 (~4 days)
Championship Monday, April 8 (~5 days)
You may subscribe to this thread to be notified of the new rounds: Geek Madness Subscription Thread.
For more information on the history of the Geek Madness, check out the wiki page: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_Madness
Fan of the Tournament? Show your love with a Microbadge or two:(click to purchase)
- [+] Dice rolls