Rob in Richmond's Top 200 Games
- Rob WhiteUnited States
After 6 and a half years on BGG, I decided to come up with a Top 200 list. The process took a heck of a lot longer than I thought (probably around 20-25 hours), but it was a blast to do. I'm not completely satisfied with every result, but eventually I just had to stop and say "Done."Recommend
The method I used was to have games compete against each other in little head-to-head matches. I did that over and over and over again until things started to flesh out and I had groups of five or six ordered from top group to bottom group. Then I copied the English Premier Leagues idea of promotion and relegation to allow for movement between consecutive groups. After a lot of that, I then looked to see if any individual games were left far out of place and moved some more around.
I also went through and changed my ratings for all of my Top 200 Games.
Recent new-to-me games? First played within a month of starting the list, some of these could fall significantly a year from now but for now, they're all in the Top 35:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Played only once and nabbed a high spot:
Played only once and finished low (but maybe just need more plays):
1.The Resistance takes over #1 spot. Agricola and Glory to Rome (original art edition) stepped aside for the game that 99% of the time delivers logical thoughts, illogical screw-ups and a ton of laughs. I love being a spy and I need the humbling experience of finding out I was totally wrong as a resistance member.
2. Carcassonne up 1.5 in my rating and all the way to #12. Don't play as much anymore, but it just kept beating other games in head to head competition. I do have many fond memories of playing it with my wife.
3. Love Letter finished up at #14 which may seem crazy, but it's been a hit with almost everyone. Even my wife loves it. We pull it out at a restaurant as we wait for our food.
4. Pandemic finished up at #19 and I wouldn't have thought that. But again, it just kept beating games head to head. I actually went out and bought the new edition because I was so pleased with how high it got. Really been enjoying the new edition with the cool plastic cubes and the new roles.
5. DaVinci's Challenge up 1.5 in my rating and finishing at #110. Probably need to play this one more. It's pretty cool.
6. Apples to Apples down 1.4 in my rating and finishing at #205. Don't know if it's a big surprise, but it was a pretty significant fall.
So what do you think?
- [+] Dice rolls