No-Ship Math Trade -- TBGT (That Boardgaming Thing) 2013 Attendees ONLY ... RESULTS POSTED!!
- Snooze FestUnited States
North CarolinaWe love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
That BoardGaming Thing 2013 in Durham, NC. Only those who will be in attendance, or who are sending a proxy, should participate. If you trade but do not attend, you will be responsible for all shipping charges on your trades (i.e., both directions).
DO NOT DELETE ITEMS FOR ANY REASON.
New to Math Trades?
What is a Math Trade?
A way to trade a bunch of stuff that INVOLVES NO MATH AT ALL! There's an old podcast all about it HERE
What is a trade chain?
The beauty of Math Trades is that they allow complicated trades to happen without you having to worry about the details. For example, suppose
- Rob has Mansions of Madness, and will ONLY accept $30 in trade for it.
- Ken has $30 burning a hole in his pocket, but ONLY wants Through the Ages in trade.
- Justin has Through the Ages and ONLY wants Mansions of Madness
The OLWLG would figure out that if Rob sends Mansions of Madness to Justin, Justin sends Through the Ages to Ken, and Ken sends $30 to Rob, EVERYONE is happy!
Except in an actual Math Trade, imagine many different and MUCH longer chains ... chains most people couldn't possibly come up with and arrange on their own. OLWLG does it all for you!
How does it work?
You add things you want to trade to this geek list (before the submission deadline has passed). For each item you list here, you use OLWLG to indicate, by checking a bunch of boxes, the items you'd accept in trade. After the want-list submission deadline has passed, I will run the OLWLG algorithm and post the resulting trade chains. If you had any successful trades, the results will tell you who to give your (traded) games to, and who will be giving you games in return! The physical exchanges of traded items will happen some time at TBGT.
I strongly suggest you take a look at the videos HERE to see the specifics. These are also available in larger size at the OLWLG website.
But I don't want to get stuck with something I don't want!
Don't worry -- you will NEVER trade away anything you don't want to trade, and you will NEVER receive anything you're not willing to receive. For each item you put up for trade, you decide what you'd accept in exchange. If there are several items of interest to you, you set the order of your preference by simply assigning them different values.
In order to avoid people from inadvertently ending up with 2 copies of the same game (e.g., if you put up 2 games for trade, either/both of which you'd trade for the game in question), "duplicate protection" is enabled -- see THIS LINK for more information.
So what, exactly, would I need to do?
- If you don't have an ID here, make one and sign in
- BEFORE the Deadline To Add Items has passed, add items to this list (one item for each game or group of games you want to trade). You can do this either on BGG, by clicking the "Add Item" link below, or via OLWLG.
- BEFORE the Want Lists Due deadline has passed, and AFTER the previous deadline, submit your want lists (i.e., lists of what you'd accept in trade for each item). Note that you must use OLWLG to do this. The process is a bit involved, but mostly requires you to check a bunch of boxes and hit some buttons.
- Wait for me to run the program to determine the trade chains. I'll do this some time between the Want Lists Due deadline, and the Results Posted deadline.
- Trade (at TBGT)!
Dates and Deadlines
Deadline to Add Items: 5:00 PM Eastern Time on Saturday, August 31
Note that this is a HARD deadline; you will not be able to add any items or comments to this list after the deadline has passed.
Want Lists Due: 7:00 PM Eastern Time on Sunday, September 8
Results Posted: By 11:59 PM Eastern Time on Sunday, September 8
Trade Happens: in Durham, September 12-15, 2013; specific time TBA
Deadline-Offers: Saturday, 31 Aug 2013, 17:00:00 EDT
Deadline-Wants: Sunday, 8 Sep 2013, 19:00:00 EDT
Never Used the OLWLG Before?
0) If you don't have an ID on BoardGameGeek already, go there and create one. Once logged into BGG, go to each of your games' pages and add them to your collection. Be sure to mark your games as "For Trade".
1) Follow this link to OLWLG
2) Enter your BGG name and click on "Send Now".
3) You will receive a GeekMail via the BGG messaging system containing your own personal link to the OLWLG. Follow that link, then sync OLWLG with your BGG collection data.
4) For assistance using the OLWLG please see the links provided below.
For more details or math trades, check out:
- Video Tutorials
- Lindsey's Guide to Math Trades: it's somewhat dated, but covers the general concept quite well.
- Math Trades for Dummies Primer
- Illustrated How-To
- Illustrated Duplicate Protection
- On-Line Want List Generator
- OLWLG Forum Thread to report problems to the OLWLG creator
More Details and Information
* Consider this as a big Flea Market or Swap Meet ... you may trade just about anything legal. Mostly, of course, it will be games but also consider books and other geeky things. If you "trade" cash, remember to go through the BGG Marketplace (i.e., list your item for sale here, then let the person who won it buy it from you) to make sure that Boardgamegeek.com gets its 3% commission. Trading cash or geekgold sometimes seems to be a tough concept. Consider this: take an empty game box, stick $50 (or 100 geekgold) in it, close it up and shrinkwrap it, then see if someone wants that box in exchange for something else!
* To enter an item or group of items not found on RPG/Video/Board-gamegeek (e.g., a bundle of games, dinner for 5, gift certificate, cash), just use either
item ID:5985 Miscellaneous Game Accessory
-- OR --
item ID:23953 Outside the Scope of BGG
In the description, include the following:
+altname+ A short descriptive name -altname-
* "Sweeteners", usually little items added to make your main offering more desireable, should be listed using either of the formats below in order to show up properly in OLWLG:
GAMEID formatting (preferred), e.g. (LeftBracket)GAMEID=8989(RightBracket) which will look like this: Hansa
-- OR --
a link to the game's page, e.g. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8989
* Please accurately describe the condition of your items, and note the language. If this information is not included, the game will be assumed to be in English and NEW.
* If you no longer wish to trade an item, simply add a comment saying that you will be submitting a blank want list. Also, change the item to item ID:23953 "Outside the Scope of BGG" and change the description to:
+altname+ Removed -altname-
* We will be using Jeff Michaud's OLWLG (On-Line Want List Generator) for both generating and submitting want lists. If you aren't familiar with the tool, please look at the links referenced above.
* Remember to tip Jeffy Jeff for designing/supporting the OLWLG (link is also at the top of the home page on that site)!
DO NOT DELETE ANY ITEMS!
* We will be using Users Trading as the tiebreaker
* 100 iterations using a seed 1428571
- [+] Dice rolls