Please help me find my next games
- Franklin Lautert(flautert)Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
It is very important for me to analize carefully before choosing. I live in Brazil and practically no strategy game is ever published here. Thus, I am obliged to but them from the US or Europe. For me, the prices in Dollars or Euro are already huge; plus, I must pay freight costs and 60% taxes over the total amount (including freight). That is why I won’t allow myself to meke mistakes.
My group fellows use to share the games costs with me, but I need to convince them the games are worth it; we are not interested in games to increase our collection, we want games we will be actually willing to play and enjoy.
I will list the games we have/use to play so that you can imagine what would be fit for us:
- Age of Renaissance: “our” game. We have played it close to a hundred times. Everybody loves it, except for one factor: the time. We were happily playing it every week, till we decided we could try to find a short AoR. We still play it by email, bur never ftf.
- Mare Nostrum: our short AoR. Doesn’t provide the same depth, but is much shorter and everybody likes it. Not our Holy Grail, but very good.
- Puerto Rico: another one that every one likes, but only one of us really love. The best “german” game.
- LOTR The Confrontation: the greatest game for 2 players. Everyone loves it.
- Wallenstein: a little bit “too german” for our tastes. We don’t like hunting VPs very much. But it has potential, and we will give it more chances.
- Civilization: the theme and conception are brilliant, but the game itself has a huge cost/benefit factor.
- Dune: we are very intered for the theme, but never managed to complete a game.
- Dungeoneer: the least popular of our recent purchases. Too many bits for a too luck-oriented game. I bought it because I had good memories of Talisman, which I liked much better (but also had a feeling of too much luck factor after some games).
In short, we tend to like “american” games, even if the games take longer. It is important to mention that we play AoR without diplomacy, which changes the game a lot. We tend
to avoid diplomacy in all our games if possible – we prefer to have each one making hhis own choices based on his strategy.
I will list the games that I am considering to buy and would like to have new items added by you all.
Thanks a lot.
- [+] Dice rolls