Cheat Your Own Adventure New player Initiative 2018: The Crypt of War
Joline
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
12.00
 tip
 Hide
A game of Cheat Your Own Adventure for the New Player Initiative 2018. The randomly rolled theme of this game is:

The Crypt of War!



You can view the full rules here but for a quick reference, here they are [copied from TomTi89 games]:

1 The narrator will write up a short piece of fiction (in the second person!) as a geeklist item.

2 The other players will present options as comments to the geeklist item.

3 After 24 hours (or when all posts are in), the narrator will choose an option.

4 The writer of the chosen option will create a new geeklist item for their Stamina roll. [first post the geeklist item with the stamina roll, which is always 2d6] If the Stamina roll is a success (equal to or greater than the current stamina), go to Step 1 [edit your geeklist item to include the piece of fiction].

5 If the Stamina roll fails, you get to write an ending (horrible death, endless loop, whatever you can think of) then the turn reverts to the original narrator, who will choose a second option. The writer of that option gets to auto-pass the Stamina check (we're cheating after all) and doesn't have to roll. They will create a new geeklist item and continue the story, returning to Step 1.

6 After your turn as narrator is complete (and the next item is up), please add links to the new geeklist options that follow from your section so that others can easily follow the game. To do this, click on the number by the geeklist entry, then look at the url. You embed the list item number from the url in your text by including
[ listitem=XXXX ]page ??[/listitem] (without the spaces)
I would recommend using the strikethrough option ([ - ][/-], again without the spaces) to show how we cheated our way past any failures!

Some other recommendations:

d10-1 Please respond within 24 hours once you are up! There's no problem with being slower sometimes, but one of this games' strong points is it pace.

d10-2 Please note that we will have one narrative thread for this game, the geeklist items themselves. Anything out of character should be in the overall comments of the geeklist, not under the geeklist items.

d10-3 This is a GM-less game, so I will be playing exactly like you guys, however I will be keeping track of the Stamina counter at the bottom of this geeklist header.

d10-4 Note that we have a lot of players, which means we'd like to allow a lot of options at each step. So try not to make the situations too specific. Don't feel compelled to think of tons of obvious options, but try to avoid binary situations where you have to go right or left.

d10-5 This game should be quite forgiving of people who miss deadlines - so, even if you don't present an option one chance, please do jump back in later on!

d10-6 Let's have fun! If you spot any issues or difficulties, don't be shy about raising them in the comments at the bottom of the list.

d10-7 Don't forget to subscribe to the Geeklist for notifications!

Stamina: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2018 [+] 2018_PbF_Newbie_Initiative [+] [View All]
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. RPG: Cheat Your Own Adventure [Average Rating:8.38 Overall Rank:137]
Joline
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1

You had heard about this crypt before. The legendary Crypt of War, rumoured to hold the dead of the greatest war this continent had ever seen, almost 200 years ago now. This crypt was told to be the last resting place of the Wicked King, fallen in the war.
There are many stories about this war, most telling about daring victories and great spoils (history is written by the victors after all). However, about a month ago, you found a scroll hidden in a library. It told the story of a prosperous, peacefull kingdom defending itself against great numbers, making a last desperate stand to save themselves, but failing. The author had obviously fled and survived to be able to tell this story. His many claims and stories were quite contradictory to Known History, so you decided it was time to investigate.

Now you're here, in the Crypt of War. Turns out time had eroded the ceiling of the Crypt and you were able to descend here with a rope through a small hole (ok you did make the hole quite a bit bigger to be able to do so, but you don't think anyone will mind).
The entrance hall seems very spacious. Right in front of you is a stone structure, maybe an altar or a coffin? On the left side there's a door, on the right side a corridor leading away and in the corner even a well.




The fact that you descended all this way with the rope should be enough to tell you that it is well attached but you cannot help yourself and fear that the knot will not hold. You tug a few times the rope to reassure yourself it will not fall.

Looking around you, you are not sure where to begin. You hesitate between checking the altar or entering the corridor. You choose to let fate decide and flip a coin. Tail will be the altar, head the corridor.

The coin flips in the air, shining on the single ray of light coming from the hole in the ceiling, you extend your arm to catch it and fumble. You curse as the coin flies right trough the well.

You hear the coin falling in what must be the bucket. Ha! There is still a chance to know if is head or tail. To bend yourself over the well to check how the coin fell in the bucket, go to page 27.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
2. Board Game: The Well of Souls [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(need 1 or more) 1d6 + 1d6 = (3) + (5) = 8

Page 27

You approach carefully the well and bend over to see which side of your coin is up. Head it is, so that will be the corridor but you are not sure that it's a good omen as the coin in the bucket is clearly not yours. You threw an imperial shek and you found a goblin copper. May be yours fell in the well.

The copper coin turned green by years of corrosion but you can still see the goblin's head with its long tongue sticking out. It's ugly but nicer than the other side which is showing the other cheeks of the goblin. You wonder if fate is not laughing at you.

Picking up your bag, you make way for the corridor. As expected, some form of light is available through opening in the ceiling which where surely used to remove earth during the construction of the crypt. The corridor is wide enough for you to walk and observe the carvings of human heads, typical of the style used in crypts two centuries ago.

After a few meters, the carvings start leaving place to horizontal niches filled with human remains. The corridor seems to be the main access to various burial chambers. You decide not to spent too much time in here, as there is nothing out of the ordinary. At the end of the corridor, you reach a staircase leading to several similar underground levels.

You are used to barely lit libraries but at the third level you start losing your confidence. The light holes are scarce and the tunnels are not straight anymore but twisted, sometime cutting you completely from the light. This level is a bit more complex as some tunnels are crossing each other but after some time you start making sense of them. You keep to the better lighted tunnels and avoid the darker one, especially those with spiders web as you hate those critters. Finally you reach the next staircase but find it closed by a rusted metal gate.

Some more light would be useful. You put your backpack in one of those niche thinking that it's occupant would not mind being pushed a bit. As you prepare your oil lantern, you hear some noise from the tunnel behind you. You take a deep breath, that must be your imagination. It must be your imagination. Or may be a bat.



Not wanting to stay very long, you decide to pick up your bag but it seems to be caught on something.

If you wish to tug your pack free, turn to page 11

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1237351. Wirbowsky
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (3) + (5) =
  • 8
  • (need 1 or more)
  • Tue Feb 6, 2018 12:35 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
3. RPG Item: L1: The Secret of Bone Hill [Average Rating:7.17 Overall Rank:651]
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1d6 + 1d6 = (6) + (6) = 12

Page 11

Hearing the noise really gets under your skin. You are suddenly reminded that this is not a simple prance through the tulip fields of Holland. Spooked a bit more than you would like to admit, you grab your pack.

As you pull the pack from its resting place you hear a sickening crack. The sound reminds you of the time you broke your ankle as a kid when you tried to recreate a scene from a movie by jumping out of the second story window. Attached to the strap of your pack is what remains of a skeletal hand. The hand has clearly grabbed around the pack. Before you can freak out and wonder how something dead was able to grab a hold of your pack you notice a signet ring on the pointer finger of the decayed remains.

The ring is gold and encrusted with red rubies. The markings on the ring are completely unfamiliar to you and you wonder about its origins. The design on the face of the ring is not like anything you have seen before. It doesn't match any of the know runic symbols you are familiar with.

As you turn the ring over to examine the underside a small seemingly innocuous cleft in the wall begins to pulse with a red glowing light. The shape of the notch is clearly the same as the facet of the ring. Your curiosity gets the best of you and you steady your hand and place the ring into the slot.

With a silent whoosh a piece of the wall slides away revealing a secret chamber beyond. You grab your pack, pocket the ring and head inside. As soon as you cross the threshold, the door slides closed behind you. So much for getting out that way. The room you have entered is completely lit by a source of light you cannot place. You do not see any lighting devices, and the area seems to generate its own light from nowhere. You are troubled because the light has a "feel" to it. You cannot even rationalize the thought of light having a feeling, but it somehow does. You begin to survey your surroundings looking for your next move.

In the center of the room is a series of designs on the floor resembling a maze. The maze terminates in the dead center of the room, and as you look closer you notice that the pattern is not merely a design, but a track. There is a small round rock lodged into the center of the maze.

There are a series of 12 paintings on the wall. It seems that the same character appears in all the paintings and your first assessment is that the paintings are telling a story of some sort.

You also see three doors. The doors are meticulously equidistant from each other. The door to the left is decorated with the exact same symbol found on the ring. The central door is made of wood and is otherwise unremarkable. Finally the door to the right is made of glass. From your vantage point you cannot see through the glass as it is reflecting the light directly back into your eyes. You quickly avert your eyes from the blinding light.

An intricate maze, a door & ring with mysterious matching symbols, a door of glass. Someone is clearly trying to play on your curiosity & seduce you into doing something impulsive. That plain wooden door is the one thing that seems out of place. The one thing they wouldn't expect you to try. You're on to them. To try the wooden door turn to page 134.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1239229. starwarsgolfer
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (6) + (6) =
  • 12
  • Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:02 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
4. Board Game: Death's Door [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Kevin Ude
United States
Asheville area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
(need 3 or more) 2d6 = (1 + 5) = 6

Page 134

As you begin to make your way across the room to that wooden door, you take note of each painting. These are, after all, exactly the sort of thing you had been hoping for when you first set out. There are various battle scenes, one of a sea battle in fact, and a curious image of a what seems to be a church or some sort of religious meeting house.

You take special notice of the one painting that is just a portrait. It's one of those paintings where the eyes of the subject seem to follow you across the room as you move. You've seen expertly contrived paintings before that gave that same illusion. You remember a treatise you once read explaining in detail how artists were able to achieve the affect. Fascinating.

Perhaps it is because you are already in an analytic frame of mind, but you realize you are also trying to work out how the round stone in the floor maze is following your movements. Wait. What? Yes, as you make your way across the room, the stone moves too. You continue towards the door anyway, & about two thirds of your way there you've driven the stone into a dead end. There it remains, occasionally rattling or knocking about but trapped, for the time being.

You reach the three doors, passing the symbol-imprinted door to stand in front of that nondescript wooden door. You notice that the door knob is not made of metal as you had assumed, but of stone. In fact it looks remarkably like the stone in the maze.

As you reach to grab the doorknob, the skeletal hand that you had morbidly left dangling from your pack slips free… or maybe lets go. It tumbles towards the glass door gently rapping thrice against it as it falls to the floor. You hope no one is home.

Pulling open the wooden door you discover a very small space, really just a shaft. It is barely large enough for you to descend the wooden ladder the short distance to where you open an almost identical door into a similarly sized chamber that must, you realize, be directly beneath the maze room.

You step into this room, stumbling because the door is not flush with the floor, but rather is high on the wall with it's doorframe right at the ceiling. Thankfully it is a fairly low room so you can still reach the doorknob. But, as you prove this to yourself, the stone knob on this door falls off in your hand. Maybe you won't be able to go back that way after all.

Looking around this room you notice another symbol door & another glass door, both up at the ceiling like the wooden one you just exited. There are also a series of paintings here, but the floor is smooth stone. No mazes in sight.

But those paintings… Where there was a painting of a battlefield above, there is just an image of some dirt & stones her. Where there was a sea battle above, this painting shows an underwater scene with some nondescript fish. Where there was a church above, a painting of catacombs here. And chillingly, where the portrait was above, here you see a painting of feet, hanging as if from a gallows.

You begin to walk over to confirm that this is what is pictured, when you hear the sound of a rock rolling in a track up above the ceiling. That stone in the maze room up there is still following you. You begin to wish you had inspected the rock maze more closely, or even sketched out a copy of it in your notebook.

To dance about the room in an effort to tire the stone out, turn to Page 3.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1239817. udeudeude
  • 2d6 =
  • (1 + 5) =
  • 6
  • Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
5. RPG Item: Dance Dance Revolution [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(need 4) 2d6 = (3 + 2) = 5

Page 3

The claustrophobia of the room is getting to you. In an almost panicked state you search desperately for something, anything to let you out. As you look up at the ceiling again, you can't make out any of the pathways from the maze above. But you do see a small circular hole in the ceiling. Perhaps if you could roll the stone through the maze it would drop out of the hole and save you from this room. Trapped with no obvious way out, you begin to dance around the room. You are willing to try anything. Because you did not sketch a map of the maze, there is no way for you to figure it out now. You are hoping that your cave rendition of The Nutcracker ballet will allow you to move the rock through the maze.

You begin dancing slowly listening to the scraping sound of the rolling rock. As you move about the room, you don't hear it rolling any more. It must have hit a dead end. You retrace your steps until you hear it rolling again. You are beginning to get the hang of this. You pirouette, jeté, and dégagé in wild abandon. The sweat pours down your face as your body moves as if possessed. The stone, your coquettish dance partner, rolls and stops, shifts and pauses. At the edge of exhaustion, you are feeling exuberant because the stone is rolling ever closer to the exit point.

As you preform one last and final grand jeté, the stone falls through the hole in the ceiling. It drops to the floor with a thud and stays in exactly the same place, without rolling any more. As it settles into the floor, and you settle into a deep rhythmic breathing, The ceiling and floor start to move. Or is it just the walls. In either case something is moving and the door thresholds are lowering. As the room readjusts, you take note of paintings and the doors.

The paintings are in fact one long continuation that spans the entire length of the floor to ceiling. The wooden door is not one, but two doors. The other two doors (the runic symbol and the glass door) are in fact one giant door. Each door has a clear band where the ceiling/floor use to separate the two floors. There is something written in the band of each door where the ceiling/floor used to be.

You are thankful that you are no longer trapped, but you also realize that you are back in the same place you were a few moments before.

Now that you have the full paintings before you, turn to page 45 to have a second look.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1240306. starwarsgolfer
  • 2d6 =
  • (3 + 2) =
  • 5
  • (need 4)
  • Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
6. Board Game: The Gallerist [Average Rating:8.03 Overall Rank:69]
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2d6 = (1 + 6) = 7

page 45

Still slightly out of breath, you decide to forego further exploration for the time being. Turning around slowly, you survey the paintings, now on full display. The same character stands out clearly in most of the images due to his red hair; this must be the Wicked King!

Why such grand paintings were made of him and permitted to persist does not puzzle you, as a second, more patient look show you the mockery at full display; the battle ships have holes in them and are about to sink, his men are fleeing a battle, and his hanging has a gallery of satisfied and hateful spectators.

Walking closer, you look for any unveiled parts such as the bands in the doors, but other than the paint being much more vivid on the parts hidden away, you see no markings. Following the paint line to the frame, you try to dig in with your nail, but though the wood is very ornately carved, you find no seam there either.

Your eyes have had their fill of the paintings and their crude taunting of a man long dead, and you begin to think of the way ahead.

To cut one of the paintings from its frame to take along for 'further academic research,' turn to page 201.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1241279. goodbyebird
  • 2d6 =
  • (1 + 6) =
  • 7
  • Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
7. Board Game: Red Scare [Average Rating:5.20 Overall Rank:13613]
Kevin Ude
United States
Asheville area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
(Need 6) 2d6 = (6 + 2) = 8

As you prepare to head for one of the doors out of this miserable room, you decide to commit an act of defiance against the room, those who made it, whoever; justifying your act as being in the name of academic research. You step to the painting that most piqued your interest, pull out your knife, & put the blade to the lower right corner of the canvas. But before you can make the cut, you jump in fright as you hear a voice from somewhere behind you: 'That absurd dance was one thing, but this...this is a little much.'

You hear your knife clatter to the floor, & feel the blood drain from your face as you spin around in shock to see the dim outline of a figure across the room. A figure about whom you can make out very little in this poor light, very little beyond the red hair.


To utter a stuttering question 'Mum, i-is t-that you? Did you follow me?', turn to page 44.

How can Uther be here? He is your arch-competitor at the research library. Maybe he knows something more than you? To trick him showing the way out, go to Page 301.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1243870. udeudeude
  • 2d6 =
  • (6 + 2) =
  • 8
  • Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
8. RPG: She's... [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Joline
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 44

Need 7 2d6 = (1 + 1) = 2

Your Mum looks at you incredulously 'Who else were you expecting? It's always me who is cleaning up your mess!' She walk over to you and starts fussing over you.
'What have you gotten yourself into this time? I swear other Mums don't have to put up with stuff like this....' She brushes the dirt of your back and takes you by the ear.
'You're coming with me! Right now! And when we get home you're grounded for a year!'

'But Muu-um! I'm an adult now.. This is my work.'

'This is not work, this is just you getting yourself in a big mess again. I won't have it. We're going... Right now!

And she drags you home by the ear.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1244830. mebririth
  • 2d6 =
  • (1 + 1) =
  • 2
  • Need 7
  • Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:07 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(auto-success)
Page 301

'Uther! You scared me but it's so good to see you. So once more two brilliant minds are focused on the same research. Did you solved the maze already? You see, I gathered that just by moving around and observing how the ball matches the movement of the person being in this room, we can obviously deduct the path to follow...'

Uther cannot resist taking the bait and he interrupts you to explain he solved the maze already and without the need of this map. Clearly he found his way in the maze and entered this room by one of the doors.

You take the opportunity to make him believe that you also entered the maze by another location and that you found this room just by chance. You see no point of explaining the secret entrance and the skeletal hand that you safely tucked into your coat.

'Shall we continue together and join our efforts?'

You assume that Uther would refuse but it seems to be your lucky day as he agrees to show you the way out.

You both pass through the glass door and Uther leads you across numerous corridors but also stairs which you did not expect based on the map of the maze in the room. Following your colleague, you scramble quick notes at each turn in case if you would need to find your way back.

Finally, you reach a ladder going down and Uther tells you that it is as far as he went until now. He proposes that you climb down first. You have noticed that he seems well prepared for adventure and even has a sort of machete on his belt. You do not fully trust him but what can you do? You take note that he did not told you that he does not know what you will find, just that he never went there.

You climb down the ladder. It's dark down there and the space is very confined as the ladder leads down between two walls with barely enough space for you to fit in between. After several steps down, you noticed that your back is not pressing any more against a wall but against a soft fabric like a curtain. The ladder ends onto a small wooden platform between the wall and the curtain. Carefully you push the fabric to see where you are.

You could not hope for better than this, the curtain is actually an old tapestry hiding the ladder. And you are standing onto the top of a bookshelf. You jump down from there while you hear Uther following you.

As you start exploring the room, you understand that the ladder must have been some sort of hidden exit. May be it was an emergency exit. People would have to climb on top of this specific bookshelf and could climb the ladder hidden from sight. May be the ladder could also be pulled up if required.

You cannot hide your enjoyment as the room looks like a library of some sort filled with numerous bookshelves. But there are other things giving you the heebie jeebies. There are double wooden doors surely leading outside, but you see that they have been barred from the inside. There is this desk with multiple drawers in the middle of the room beside which is a chair occupied by another skeleton. You are deeply troubled by the skeleton as he is missing its right hand. There is a knife close to his left one and clear trace of blood where his right hand should have been. Does this person cut his right hand himself? Deep in your thought you almost scream when you feel the skeletal hand moving inside your coat.

Uther is beside you now, he must have joined you while you were looking at the skeleton. 'And what do YOU make of this?' He asks pointing at the desk. You get the feeling that he is expecting something from you.

On the desk is a map and figures representing soldiers and troops. Clearly you are in a war room. The map has been carved directly onto the desk and painted, it is obviously old fashioned but you can clearly recognize the various provinces and major landscape of your continent. But the names are completely foreign to you. This might be a major discovery. Maybe this map belonged to the same people as the person who wrote the hidden scroll you found leading you to the Crypt of War.

'Well Uther, clearly this map shares common features with...'

Uther is looking at you with disappointment and points at a specific place on the map. This must be the location of the crypt you are in. It is marked with a runic symbol. You cannot fail to recognize the symbol,
identical to the one on the ring of the skeletal hand. The symbol on the map is recessed, like if the ring has been pressed here to mark the map.

You think that you should be very careful now. Why is Uther here, what does he knows that you don’t? Should you take the knife from the skeleton? Should you interact with the map? Would it be safe to do so? May be you should first unlock the doors.

Uther is looking at you waiting for your answer. The hand in your coat is standing still...


To squint at the runic symbol and feign ignorance, turn to page 5.

To reveal that you saw a skeletal hand wearing that ring back in the maze room and suggest Uther go grab it, turn to page 55.

To surreptitiously reach into your pocket & shake hands with the bony hand therein, turn to page 50.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
10. RPG Item: The Tools of Ignorance [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2d6 = (3 + 4) = 7

Needed 8, FAIL
page 5

You lean over the map, pretending to study the embedded symbol, telling Uther, ”No, I don’t believe I’ve seen this before.” You straighten and turn towards him. ”Maybe it’s one of the old banners? This could have been a war map.”

But Uther doesn’t look pleased, and he still hasn’t moved from where they arrived, except now the machete is in his hand. “I should have known you’d be useless,” he snarls with contempt. ”I bet you didn’t even solve the maze yourself.”

Uther seems increasingly angry, and with your lower back pressed against the table you start inching towards the knife.

”Did you follow me here, you little runt? I bet you did.” As he’s advancing, you notice how wild his eyes look, and even full with rage his face has a drawn look about it. How long has it been since you last saw him? Weeks?

”Well you’re not taking the power from me, it’s mine it’s all mine!”

Just as you find the handle of the knife, Uther lunges towards you, and the blade of his machete catches you in the side. You tumble onto the floor, gasping in pain, and desperately look around you for anything to defend yourself with. You see books littering the floor around the shelves, as if someone tore through them all. The wooden doors vibrate as something slams into them from the other side. “YOU BROUGHT THEM HERE!” Uther roars, and the machete vanishes from sight as he raises his hand.

“Uther, please,” is all you can manage before everything goes dark.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1248426. goodbyebird
  • 2d6 =
  • (3 + 4) =
  • 7
  • Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
11. Board Game: Medieval Arms Dealer [Average Rating:5.50 Unranked]
Kevin Ude
United States
Asheville area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
(auto-success)
Page 50

You lean over the map, pretending to study the embedded symbol. You are just about to lie to Uther, claiming you don’t believe you've seen it before. But as you straighten and turn towards him to speak, you notice that Uther doesn’t look pleased. And he still hasn’t moved, except that now the machete is in his hand, and his lip has begun to turn up in a snarl of contempt.

You hesitate, refraining from saying anything at all, and just watch as Uther seems to grow increasingly angry.

He advances towards you, and you notice how wild his eyes look. Even full of rage his face has a drawn look about it. How long has it been since you last saw him? Weeks?

If you had had more time to think perhaps you wouldn't have done it, but….

In this moment it seems clear. Uther is your enemy. You are about to become his victim. You need an ally. You surreptitiously reach into your pocket & shake hands with the bony hand therein. Out of the corner of your eye you think you see the empty socket of a skull wink at you in confirmation of alliance.

Uther draws your full attention back to himself, snarling, 'Did you follow me here, you traitor? I bet you did. I know about that scroll you found hidden in the library back home. I know the blasphemy it contains. How it claims the Wicked King was a noble, honorable man, ruler of a peaceful kingdom. How it paints our own ancestors as the villains of the story. And I know you've been sucked in, swayed to sympathize with the Russet King, for that was indeed what they called him, with his hair the color of russet cloth. So what if it's all true? We conquered them, and if you side with them, then you are the enemy, too.'

At that, Uther lunges towards you, but the blade of his machete barely touches your side before it clatters to the floor, dropped from Uther's grip. He staggers backwards and falls to the floor, dead. You notice a knife in his neck, and looking back at the table and skeleton, you confirm that it is indeed the knife that had lain near the skeleton's left hand. The skeleton sits motionless, but you feel sure it is in a slightly different position than before.



To thank the skeleton, turn to page 71.

To search Uther, go to page 103
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
12. RPG Item: No Thank You, Evil! [Average Rating:8.29 Overall Rank:1026]
Joline
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 71

Need 9 2d6 = (2 + 1) = 3

You walk over to the skeleton and say 'Thank you wise skeleton, I am greatly endebted to you for this help.' Suddenly the skull starts laughing. You are startled to hear its glee. Suddenly the skeleton's arm wriggles free from you and rejoins the rest of its bones. You blinks once, twice, not believing your eyes. It's as if the laughing skull starts to take on the contours of a real head... A live head!

As the skeleton starts to reforms as a whole body your skin starts itching. As you look down you see your arms becoming emaciated. Your face also starts to itch, your very bony hands feel how your face is also loosing substance. In horror you turn to the skeleton 'What is happening, what have you done?'

The skeleton laughs once more, it now sounds the full, dark laugh of a man.
'What have I done? No no, this is wholly your own doing! Ha! You sealed the deal with that handshake. Finally, I'm free! I wish you lots of luck, stranger. It's not easy finding someone who will take over this curse, I would know... Hahaha.

You slowly become a skeleton and as a final curtesy the ex-skeleton takes your arm and places it in the same alcove where you found his.

If only you could black out.. but you're stuck with this curse for a veeeery looooooong time...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1257130. mebririth
  • 2d6 =
  • (2 + 1) =
  • 3
  • Need 9
  • Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
13. Board Game: Get Out Alive [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(auto-success)
Page 103

You do not know how you ended in this situation and but you did not wanted any of this to happen.

You bend over Uther, to remove his satchel. In it you find a worn leather agenda. You are barely surprised to see the now familiar runic symbol on its spine. As you open the agenda, you see that the first page is a folding map.

Looking at the map, you understand that Uther found a hidden passage from the Library towards the Crypt of War and through the maze. He did not have to break in through the ceiling like you did.

You decide to pocket the agenda for later perusal. As you straighten up, you notice that the skeletal hand has fallen from your pocket and is now grasping the hand of Uther. Almost comically, it look like if they were shaking hands; joined in death. Surely Uther could not have grabbed the hand himself, he is dead. Did the hand did that on its own?


You think its past time that you find a way out of here.

As you give a last look at Uther, you see his body emaciating at an alarming speed. You quickly look to your side and you see with horror sinew and tendons forming over the skeleton.

To let your morbid curiosity run amok, & push one of the two round stones you carry under the skeleton's rib cage before the flesh can fully form around it, turn to page 232.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
14. Board Game: OrganATTACK! [Average Rating:6.48 Overall Rank:5771]
Kevin Ude
United States
Asheville area
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
(need 10) 2d6 = (5 + 6) = 11

Page 232

Watching aghast as a human body forms before your eyes, you still can not resist the fascination of a scholar witnessing a phenomenon so strange yet familiar. It's as if your anatomy texts were made real & animated. In this mindset, you forget for a moment that this is a person (in some sense) and you think only of science & experimentation. What if...? What if I place something inside the rapidly forming sinews?

You grab one of the stones you carry & push it quickly into the still open chest cavity. Just in time, it seems, for as you pull your hand out you can feel tongues of muscle & flesh lapping at you & grabbing like tendrils. You draw you hand protectively to your own chest and watch in morbid curiosity as the flesh fully forms, the face completing last with eyes closed as if in meditation. Hair quickly grows rich & full from the scalp, a hair the mud red color of russet cloth. You notice that the body forms complete with several lesions, war wounds you assume, but these now heal at a rapid rate even as the muscles seem to increase is size slightly. The process continues, as tiny fibers appear & weave themselves into luxurious green garments, which you recognize as the royal attire of the former kingdom.

Then you jump, startled by the opening of the eyes. They stare straight at you. And seem to know that, were it not for your shock, you would have voiced a word of thanks.
'Do not offer me your thanks, stranger.' he says, in a full & regal voice. 'I have acted only in my on interest. Had you not so quickly lent over your assailant here, I must tell you, you would be wishing curses & not thanks upon me. When you shook my hand, you offered me the strength to throw that knife, but also you offered me the entirety of your living strength. And I must confess, though I strive always to be a good man, I fear I am not so good as to have resisted the temptation to live again. It was only by allowing me to accept the handshake of life from another, from one who no longer would be using that life himself, that I was able to release you from the agreement. So it is I who owe you thanks, most heartily.'

Still unsure what to say or even think, you watch as the Russet King stands & moves towards Uther. You step back to give space, and the King staggers towards you a step before continuing towards Uther's body. You notice now that the Russet King is not fully formed, but still drips blood from the wrist of his severed hand. At this, you instinctively take a few steps away and towards the barred wooden doors. As you do so you watch as the King also steps clumsily away from his ringed hand on the ground with Uther. He seems to be pulled towards you, following your movements. Then you realize what stone you have imbedded in this man.

The Russet King looks straight at you,
'What is this magic?'

To order the king to kneel before you turn to page 67

To rush of the exit, go to page 222
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1262199. udeudeude
  • 2d6 =
  • (5 + 6) =
  • 11
  • (need 10)
  • Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
15. Board Game: Malifaux: Master of Puppets – Collodi Box Set [Average Rating:4.50 Unranked] [Average Rating:4.50 Unranked]
Chris Hier
msg tools
1d12 = (6) = 6
PAGE 67

You realize the stone placed in the forming body of the Russet King is the stone of legilimens, giving you the ability to know the kings thoughts and control his actions.
"Oh the great, powerful Russet King, how nice it is to meet you! Now, come along and kneel before your most great and noble master!"
The King replies "I kneel before no man, let alone a child sized runt such as you!" with a growl, but his face twists into confusion as he begins to kneel down against his will.
"What manner of sorcery is this?!" he bellows.
"As your body was reforming I placed a rune stone within your flesh, the stone of legilimens. This stone grants me the ability to control your actions, and to see your thoughts. Now, walk ahead of me and lead us out of this place." to your amazement, he does exactly as he is told. Shocked at how easy controlling him is, you can't help but think that power such as this should be more difficult to wield. "Oh well" you think to yourself, "better me wielding it than someone else" suddenly, you feel like someone is following you, someone you hate. You stop and turn to look behind you, but as you do, the king mirrors your actions.
"what is it?"
"What is it?"
Filled with rage, you begin to run in the direction you came.from, and you hear the king running behind you. You hear him gaining on you and you are filled with rage and fear, alternating between the two. Suddenly, you feel like you are watching yourself running away, as though you are playing some third person video game. You are filled with a sense of hate as you seem to be catching up to yourself. Suddenly, you lunge at what appears to be your own back and you watch as your body crashes to the ground, feeling the pain in some distant part of your mind that snaps you back into tour senses.
Dazed and stinging from the pain, you realize that the king has somehow knocked you down to the ground and is now roughly turning your body over to look up at him. Then you hear his voice, but his lips aren't moving.
"Pathetic boy. Sorcery is not a child's game, especially legilimens. During my time as king I had the greatest sorcerers in all the lands teach me their trade. Now, I shall tell you a secret. The stone of legilimens doesn't give the power to enslave. It creates a tunnel of sorts between minds. A tunnel in which one could become confused about which end he belongs without proper training. Now, see here." suddenly, you feel confused and disoriented again as your own face appears in front of your eyes. Then you watch as the Russet King' s hands move to either side of your head and his thumbs cover your eyes. "This won't hurt at all" you think, but it doesn't feel like a thought from your own mind. You watch as the hands begin to squeeze your head, the thumbs press into your eyes as blood begins to run down them and then also come from your ears, nose and mouth. As you continue squeezing, you feel the life fade from the body in your hands. With one final twist, the neck is broken and the body drops in a heap on the floor. As you try to decide what to do with the body you look at the face thinking that it looks familiar, you feel a sense of sinister laughter in the back of your mind and wonder if you are truly losing it.


THE END
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1268735. Pyrix137
  • 1d12 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:26 am
  • [+]
  • 1268736. Pyrix137
  • 1d12 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
16. Board Game: Give Peace A Chance [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Need 11, auto success.


Without bothering to answer the king, you rush for the barred doors. Your hear the king swearing as he tumbles to the ground. The metal bars barring the doors are heavy and it takes a considerable effort to remove them. As you finally open the exit, you glance behind you and you see the king closing down on you.

You hurry through the door and run across a corridor without any idea of where you are going.
You hear the King laughing behind you. "It seems this magic pulls me toward you but I see that I can catch you without issue, are you a good runner?”


You run for a few minutes but you realise that this is futile, you have created a foe who cannot be escaped, unless…

You stop suddenly, raise the other stone right above your head and turn to face the King.


“Stop here, or I throw this magic stone binding your body through the nearest window”



The King stops and look at you. "I think we could reach an agreement. I would like to have this stone and to reclaim my missing hand. I believe that you are a scholar, I can offer knowledge in return.”


You have already a map which will surely allow you to find an exit, but you wonder what knowledge you could gain. Knowledge of past time would be a treasure in itself but maybe you could learn some magic from this King. Maybe you should negotiate further or throw the stone as far as you can.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.