Alternate History RPG's and RPG settings where world history has changed
I was looking through the alternate history genre and found a lot of games were simply historic games with a bit of supernatural or anachronistic technology thrown in, things that make us think things may have happened a different way than the history we learnt. That is interesting, but when I think of alternate history I think of stories where something went different, maybe in a small way, maybe in a big way, but really changed what happened in the world in the long term.Recommend
So I am creating this list to gather a list of RPG's and RPG settings that are based on our real world and history but with a twist. This list is for things historically based but did not go the same way as our world did either for mundane or supernatural reasons, leading to a world that is fundamentally different from ours, or at least diverges from ours for a significant period of time that remains obvious in thats world's history. But at some point in the past we share a common history before that point.
Please add to the list any that you know, I would prefer to see RPG's or Settings rather than items were possible, though in some cases items may be appropriate. If you could add a brief comment on how this world is different to ours too that would be great.
I was hoping to keep the description of what I was trying to make this list positive, but in the end I could not really define it that way and feel to stop this becoming too broad adding some things not to put on this list. All things below are fine ideas, and may deserver their own geeklists, they just don't belong on this list
* No games where the alternate elements are all hidden to most people and make no real change in history as we know it if they happened or not. e.g. no Call of Cthulhu
* No games where it was simply that the mythology or folklore of the day was true but no real change to what happened in history.
* No fantasy worlds based on a particular culture or historical period but no link to our real world. e.g. no generic steampunk, but if there is a specific divergence point and develop of the world different from ours then do add it.
* No alternate futures, even if they have by now become or will become alternate history soon. e.g. no Twilight: 2000 or other late C20th world wars, apocalypses etc.
* No alternate modern worlds that only varied recently. I know history can be recent events but when I am thinking history I am thinking something older, probably before living memory of many people alive now. e.g. no Shadowrun etc
* No Time Travel games even though some of these may visit alternate histories.
- [+] Dice rolls