Different Victory Conditions: Mother List
The Mother List for a family of lists of games in which the players have different victory conditions.Recommend
If you don't feel like reading nall of this, just add your game to the Mother List (this one!) and I will make sure it gets on the right Daughter List.
This description is quite broad. There are two-player games, like Hnefa-Tafl, where forces of different sizes and abilities are arrayed against each other. Some of the games with two unequal sides have a "Mr. X" quality in which one player is arrayed against all the others, like Scotland Yard and Betrayal at House on the Hill. (Hex-and-Counter Wargames also feature two unequal forces, although these games are a genre all to themselves.) There are games in which the players choose their VC's at the beginning of the game and keep them secret from the players, but other than this, the players are identical: Careers is (or was) a popular family game of this archetype. Then there are games in which the VC's are mutually exclusive, and again secret - typically they are assigned at random from a deck of "VC" cards, and they are mutually exclusive due to the fact that each VC card is unique and we cannot, naturally, be dealt the same card. Mission Risk is a well-known example of this archetype. All of these archetypes have their own daughter list. If a game you would like to add fits any of these categories, please add it to the appropriate daughter list.
This Mother List is for all of the games that do not fall into one of the above categories.
Specifically, it includes games like Illuminati and Dune, in which each player plays a different role, and that role determines not only their unique victory condition, but also some special powers, or ways in which they may break the rules everyone else must observe. It is these types of games that I am primarily interested in, but it is hard to define the boundaries of this type of game; hence, this family of lists.
All submissions that fit the basic criteria (different victory conditions) will be retained, although they may be moved to a different list. If you have added a game that has been deleted, I may have added it to one of the daughter lists. The Mother List also contains games that may go on a yet-to-be-distinguished daughter list. You are welcome (encouraged!) to add suggestions for daughter lists in the Comments section. Finally, the Mother List may contain games that belong on one of the daughter lists, but I haven't noticed this yet. If you do, please add a comment under that game.
Thanks to all who help participate in this project!
Games In Which Players Have Different Victory Conditions
A. Two-Player Games
- - 1. Players have different resources/rules (Hnefa-Tafl Archetype):
- - - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5923/different-victory-con...
- - 2. Players have same resources/rules: (no geeklist yet)
B. Games for Two or More Players
- - 1. One player is unique (Mr. X Archetype):
- - - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5944/different-victory-con...
- - 2. All players are equally unique
- - - i. Victory Conditions are Secret
- - - - (1). Nonmutually Exclusive, Secret VC's:
- - - - - - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5928/different-victory-con...
- - - - (2). Mutually Exclusive, Secret VC's:
- - - - - - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5941/different-victory-con...
- - - ii. Victory Conditions are Not Secret
- - - - (1). Players have same resources/rules: (no geeklist yet)
- - - - (2). Players have different resources/rules: (games appear on this Mother List)
C. Hex-and-Counter Wargames (that I don't really want to keep track of in this collection):
- - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5926/different-victory-con...
Finally, here are two examples of games that do not belong anywhere in this list family.
1. Magic: The Gathering. This game has MULTIPLE BUT NONEXCLUSIVE VICTORY CONDITIONS: reduce your opponent to 0 life, or force them to attempt to draw from an empty library; additional victory conditions are printed on some cards. However, all of these victory conditions are available to all players, so this doesn't count. I'm looking for games in which each player has a DIFFERENT, UNIQUE victory condition that the other players DON'T have.
2. Cosmic Encounter. Each player has different special abilities (like Illuminati). But, unlike Illuminati, all players SHARE THE SAME VICTORY CONDITION. ("Asymmetrical Games" is the ordering principle for a different list not maintained by me; see below.)
------Reference: similar lists-------------
Note: all these links got broke over the years as BGG changed things. They are not yet all fixed.
Modern Asymmetrical Strategy Games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...
Alternate Victory Conditions:
Means to an End >> Games With Multiple Victory Conditions:
- [+] Dice rolls