From publisher blurb:
High action roleplaying in a world of Indian myth!
In Against the Dark Yogi players take the role of legendary heroes, empowered by the cosmic force dharma, and charged with defending the Three Worlds from the machinations of the Dark Yogi, a sinister figure who seeks to bring about the Geli Yuga, the final age of the universe.
Against the Dark Yogi is heavily inspired by Indian myths. Character abilities, archetypes and a host of worthy foes are drawn directly from the Vedas, the Ramayana and other Indian sources. Attain the mystic perfection of the eight primary siddhis, speak the feared Om-syllable or fight with astras, the weapons of the gods themselves!
Against the Dark Yogi takes place in the world of Bhurloka. It is a world that closely mirrors the Vedic depiction of our own world, with many direct parallels between locations, gods, artifacts and events. However it is also a fantasy world: with room intentionally left for creative interpretation, and for the GM to frame her own campaign.
Bhurloka is a world of myth, and at its center is the great subcontinent, which stretches from the burning Dhar Desert in the west to the sweltering Wenga Jungle in the east, from the snow-capped Wolaya Mountains in the north to the Endless Ocean of the south.
This world stands at the precipice of disaster. In the east a sinister figure—the Dark Yogi—has risen to power. It is whispered that his forbidden sutra (written lore) gives him the power to directly attack dharma, the very order of the universe, itself.
Dharma, however, does not sit idly by. Just as the balance of the world is under attack, so dharma seeks to correct the balance. Towards this end it has reached out and selected but a few to champion its cause. These Chosen of Dharma may be devout ascetics, peerless archers, cunning charioteers, fierce wildmen, charismatic rajas or they may come from any other number of paths in life. They are all foremost, however, heroes. They have been given the enlightenment to see through their many incarnations, and to do what must be done to restore the balance of the universe.
Now is a time of legend!
Against the Dark Yogi blends mythic Indian flavor with intuitive and tactical mechanics. The core system, Saga Machine, has been in use for six years, while Against the Dark Yogi itself has gone through four public beta test releases, as well as numerous internal releases.
Gameplay highlights include:
- Power levels and game play are designed to scale up, so players can be the big damn mythic heroes they always wanted to be!
- The combat system is designed to handle everything from epic duels to pitched battles, where the heroes lead or defeat armies.
- GMs have the option to run a campaign spanning multiple generations, with in-depth rules for creating and playing new incarnations of past heroes.
- Optional rules allow the use of traditional Ganjifa Indian playing cards, bringing to the game a touch more Indian flavor.
- There is a system where player characters can accrue both good or bad karma, bringing about consequences for their actions.
- Abilities and archetypes are drawn directly from Indian myth!