From publisher blurb:
Always been the stuff of legend... until now. The miracle of genetic engineering has now created 8 different human-animal hybrid races:
- Half-human, half dog, canine hybrids have been bred for loyalty and domestication but are still feared and despised because they look like werewolves.
- Created by mixing human and dolphin D.N.A. to build the ultimate aquatic soldier, delphinines turned out too playful and mischievous to reliably follow orders.
- Enhanced strength and agility, along with being not quite bright enough to question orders, this new ape-man species may be the perfect warrior but is still too bestial to be accepted by humans and too human for other hybrids.
- Laboratory rats + human genes = nocturnal masters of stealth and assassination. Able to squeeze through opening too tiny for a human, the only place they can never reach is center stage.
- Not your daddy's stuttering cartoon character, these half-human, half swine are tough and ferocious. They could easily become the masters of all other hybrids if they weren't also delicious.
- Smaller and less powerful than their hominid cousins, these monkey-men are faster, at home in the trees, and possessed of an overwhelming curiosity. Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
- Transgenics are an attempt to add select animal traits to otherwise human D.N.A. Able to pass for human most of the time, their versatility and inconspicuousness more than makes up for their relative lack of raw power.
- Few creatures are as powerful or fearsome as an angry bear. The ursine combines these qualities with thumbs and a capacity for abstract thought making them incredibly dangerous opponents – if only they could stay awake during winter.
All of the above are potential player character races (with GM approval, of course) and can be customized with alternate racial traits. Don't want your ursine character to have the “Intimidating Prowess” trait? Feel free to swap it out for either “Dancer” or “Terrifying Roar.”
GMs! If your players have learned not to corner your murine assassins, you can keep them guessing up by trading in their next foe's “Cornered Frenzy” ability for “Close Quarters Combat Training”, “Plague-proof”, or “Prehensile Tail.”
Mals: A Human-Animal Hybrid Sourcebook helps you to build exactly character you want to have.