Winds of the North is a solo sandbox game set in Viking Age Scandinavia that mixes farm management and adventure. You begin with a small farm, some silver, and a few starting animals. Your main goal is to earn enough fame and support to become King or Queen. Along the way, you are free to do just about anything you want. Here are some of the things you’ll be able to do:
- Adventure over land and seas
- Plant and harvest crops
- Gather wood and mine ore
- Expand your farm
- Craft items
- Hawk goods and items at local markets or trade towns
- Attend seasonal festivals
- And of course, go raiding
Your character has 5 Skills which you will get to set with starting values arranged however you want.
- Combat: Your ability to fight in armed combat or mock battles and wrestling.
- Survival: Your physical fitness and skills at foraging and navigating the wild.
- Farming: Your skill in working the farm, from tending crops to building to managing livestock.
- Seamanship: Your skill governing sailing and fishing.
- Wisdom: Your knowledge, creativity, and leadership.
A major aspect of the game is keeping yourself and those under your command alive. Winters are harsh, food can run short, meat spoils, people of your household and your livestock can get sick, and anyone, including you, can die. The Viking Age is an unforgiving period and only the strongest can survive and thrive.