It should be noted that, while the book is intended to be able to play in the other editions' "Third Imperium Setting," it does not in fact include that setting, and also intends to be a generic ruleset. The included sample subsector map is generic, and not part of the Third Imperium universe; further, it has no listed worlds. In order to play, therefore, one needs to either buy or build a setting.
Some useful benchmarks:
- Task System
- 2d6 for 8+ on Stat Mod + Skill Level + Difficulty Mod + equipment mods + other mods by GM.
- 9 discrete difficulty levels defined, encouragement to use the space between.
- no minimum success/minimum failure chances built in.
- 13 careers, each with three sub careers
- Career List: Agent, Army, Citizen, Drifter, Entertainer, Marines, Merchants, Navy, Nobility, Rogue, Scholar, Scout, Psions
- The level of system generation is mainworld, plus presence of gas giants, planetoid belts, and moons of mainworld.
- Included core rules spacecraft rules
- design rules for 100-2000 tons displacement
- include optional drive types for non-3I settings.
- include 1 ton turret and 50 ton bay weapons
- include some screens
- sample designs from 10 Td to 1000 Td, all with deckplans
- space combat mechanics
- have both system hits knocking out systems and cumulative hull/structure damage to destroy vessel
- abstract, range based, movement; non-newtonian
- Armor reduces each weapon's rolled damage; some hits damage armor.
- weapons include Pulse Lasers, Beam Lasers, Missiles, Sandcasters, Particle Beams, Fusion Guns, and the "Meson" Gun.
- System is based off of crew making task rolls to accomplish actions.
- Psionics System
- uses psionic points to limit uses/abuse
- requires skill rolls to activate
the Pocket Edition has been split off from this Item
Traveller Pocket Rulebook