Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not the most experienced Overlord player but as my campaign has rolled along I have been kind of feeling like the level 3 Overlord cards aren't worth the 3xp.

Reinforce (warlord) - used to be really good but after the April faq seems just average.

Diabolic Power (magus) - Actually I like this one but the lower level magus cards you'd have to take to buy it seem kind of sub-par to me.

Uthuk Demon Trap (saboteur) - Not bad but pretty situational for a 3xp card

Blood Bargaining (punisher) - Maybe the worst of the lot. Only good when there are at least as many monsters as heroes and only when heroes need to attack instead of just racing to an objective. And even then it only lasts 1 turn.

So this campaign I've mostly been taking the lv 1 cards with a sprinkling of lv 2s. Am I nuts - are some of these awesome and I'm just not seeing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're selling Blood Bargaining a tad bit short. It's not great, but it basically lets you stop up a hallway and give the heroes the choice of delaying for a full turn or killing one (or more) of their own. In a game where each turn matters, it can be a quest-winner.

Overall though, I think I agree that the 3XP cards aren't all that phenomenal, especially after Reinforce got nerfed. Still, considering you want your overlord deck to be densely powerful, I'd still take one 3 XP card over three 1 XP cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Saboteur road seems a pretty good choice since the Warlord 3XP card got nerfed, especially if the hero group lacks in Awareness. 2 Web traps and then gathering XP for the Uthuk trap is an easy way to stall heroes and keep your OL deck thin and dangerous. After all, they'll always need to open a door and search.
Uthuk trap is fun to have in the Man who would be king, enc2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lolololage
msg tools
Morph Mode wrote:

Blood Bargaining (punisher) - Maybe the worst of the lot. Only good when there are at least as many monsters as heroes and only when heroes need to attack instead of just racing to an objective. And even then it only lasts 1 turn.

I deont understand your logic. Heroes have to attack some monsters. You generally decide which they have to attack.

Forcing them to attack something that means they have to punch through armour and in turn allows you to ignore theirs is pretty golden in my world.

Sure, they can ignore it, but if they can ignore 4 monsters for a turn, you gte 4 free attacks + 1 turn closer to your objective.

Thats why i like the punisher class so much, sure, the heroes never have to take the "downside" but the downside for not taking this is usually worse!

Also, do you realise that it doesn't have to be the same hero you put the token on that hits the monster? The card works fine with 1-2-3 monsters, as long as you put it in a good position and they dont want their spellcaster/scout to die in one hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see how I kind of slept on Blood Bargaining. I guess I was only thinking of the cases where it wouldn't be useful rather than would be. Definitely the kind of card where you save up all of encounter 1 and 2 holding it until the conditions are just right for maximum effect.

So I suppose if I was to save for a lv 3 it would be Blood Bargaining then because I'm not a fan of the lv 1 and 2 Magus cards and Reinforce was weakened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls