Continental Divide» Forums » General

Subject: Par values rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Planning to give CD a first run tomorrow. Setting par values in unfamiliar games always tends to give me grief. Any advice for CD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
All the pars work at different points in the game. I wouldn't start anything over 30 in the first round, but I would consider anything below that to be fair game.

That all said, share distribution is usually more important than par choice.

ObAside: Beware of the player with turn order 4, late in the game who pars a company, and then takes player #1 for the next turn and then buys out 100% of the company and drives it across several of the lines for ~40+ points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

ObAside: Beware of the player with turn order 4, late in the game who pars a company, and then takes player #1 for the next turn and then buys out 100% of the company and drives it across several of the lines for ~40+ points.
On that note, beware of players stockpiling a ton of cash for said move.

--

As for pars I agree with JC, they all have their uses and share count seems more critical. In particular, be careful not to create too many shares, especially in the early game when you need a bread winner in your portfolio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've seen low-share-count players win and high-share-count players win. I've also seen high-income players win and low-income players win. Do not feel in a rush to make a share purchase in every round. About the best I can say is to not fall too far behind the curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My feeling is that there are many ways to skin this cat and it is non-obvious how to do so. Very non-obvious, actually. I will agree that share count decisions look bigger than par price ones do, but I see no hope of your understanding how until you have a couple of plays under your belt. Understanding the texture of the map is about as important as either.

Give it your best shot and maybe do a little better in your second play.
This is not an 11 hour game and you should have no difficulty convincing your group to give it multiple plays. It's a pretty great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
Microbadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: I like sharing photos with Instagram.Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Lautapeliopas
We've now seen the manoeuver JC mentioned twice and it sure looks like a winner - but the guy who pulled it in both of our games so far was second in both games, so it's not all there is to it.

In our game yesterday, my initial company was parred at $20 with three shares, and then the company headed towards large income. That worked rather well. Then another guy started a company at $10 with ten shares from the fourth place, then bought five more shares (this was a four-player game) on turn 2 - I though that was a nice move and used my remaining $40 to buy the final four shares. Those two companies were enough to propel me to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls