Battles of Westeros» Forums » Variants

Subject: Westeros 3D - pimp your battlefield rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools

Battles of Westeros is a great looking game! The miniatures are detailed and - when painted - the units look downright awesome on the battlefield.
The overlay tiles of the battlefield themselves are nicely designed and add to the overall picture quite well.

However, surfing the various images at BoardGameGeeks (Catan 3D, Tide of Iron and others), I had an idea: wouldn't it be nice to have a more... vertical experience? Something, that does not only look interesting, but makes line of sight and elevated terrain more visual? Something, that brings some actual LANDSCAPE into Battles of Westeros?

So, I invested a couple of hours and some try-and-error experiments and ended with this:

A) Battlefield impressions

Honestly, I am quite happy with the outcome.

For the pictures, I recreated the scenario 20 - Feed it to the Goats (with the Stonecrows missing, as they are not painted jet). Unfortunately, there are only two scenarios with the new crags terrain. Skirmish games might give more opportunities to use the mountains.

If you like the self made terrain and think about trying it yourself - here my approach:

B. Step-by-step description

1. An overlay tile was used as a pattern to mark the cut lines.

2. To cut out the blocks, I used a carpet cutter. Other tools might work as well. Most cuts were easy to set, as they could be started from the outside. However, some cuts had to be set from the top and the styrofoam usually broke a little bit at the opposing side. Therefore, I propose to start those cuts from the planed bottom side, as the top side will be beveled anyway (see step 4.).

3. I created a cardboard pattern to mark the hill's “peaks”. The pattern's size was 5 mm smaller than the original overlay tile at each edge. More would probably look better, but units with big bases will not fit on the hill's tops any more.

4. Remove the hill's sides. (The forests were rounden only a little bit at the upper edge and all six lateral edges.)

5. I scanned the original overlay tiles (with 600 dpi) and modified them in a graphic program to cover the model's flanks. Then I printed the templates (to be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57824474/Westeros_3D-ski...) with a color printer. I did find it useful to leave some additional “flesh” at the bottom, when cutting them out.

6. To affix the skins, white glue worked surprisingly well. I used a stiff brush to apply the glue.

7. As the Styrofoam pieces were a little bit flimsy, I decided to weight them by applying rubber at their underside. The rubber helps to make them less slippery, too and they adhere quite well on the game board. An overlay tile was used to mark the cut lines.

8. To glue the rubber at the Styrofoam, I used solvent free glue, as the foam will be destroyed by the glue otherwise. White glue might not work here, as this glue hast to enter the surface to stick.

9. The paper skin will most likely leave some gaps uncovered. I fixed those with some paint.

C - Material used

Styrofoam:

I used Styrofoam in three sizes:
15 mm for the hills, 30 mm for the mountains and 10 mm for the forests. The shop assistant told me that the 10 and 15 mm sizes are especially produces for the shop, but it might be possible to get them in other hobby shops as well.

If not, they can be ordered online here:

http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/b1f1824409c23b9b9a09...
15.0 x 290 x 330 mm; 3,90 €
10.0 x 290 x 330 mm; 3,20 €

http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/f2753b9e186a20115363...
30.0 x 195 x 410 mm; 3,30 €

Solid rubber gasket sheet:

http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/f2753b9e186a20115363...
1,0 x 230 x 500 mm; 1,20 €

----

I really hope, you enjoyed the read.

Greetings,
Matthias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo! It looks amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuffs!

If you're in paper modelling (or want to see what other ppl do) i've saved this link long time ago:
http://tablerodebatalla.blogspot.it/search/label/PROYECTO%20...

It's a spanish guy which already pimp terrain with paper stuffs
You have to dig a bit his blog to find nice things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deggial_68 wrote:
Unfortunately, there are only two scenarios with the new crags terrain.
Three: Scenario 33, "The Mane Force", has crags too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Thak you all for your kind words - and everything else!

@ Fabio: Interesting link! The woods looke quite awesome! Man, there are so many creative people out there! Regarding the playability, however, I fear that those paper forests might be a little bit unhandy?

@ Christoph: Thanks, that's good to know! Scenario 33 is from the Baratheon expansion, I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deggial_68 wrote:
Regarding the playability, however, I fear that those paper forests might be a little bit unhandy?
It may be. I am one of that ppl that sometime need to remove the minis to look at the terrain tile under it.... so i see that forest like a compromise between the fiddly miniature placement, the aesthetic and get the battlefield without looking too close

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deggial_68 wrote:
@ Christoph: Thanks, that's good to know! Scenario 33 is from the Baratheon expansion, I guess?
Yes - it's the big multiplayer scenario played on two boards. Jan and me have just played 32, so this is the next in line; but we don't know when we'll actually play it, since we fear that it might take really long. We also need to prepare some material first - the scenario requires 12 command tokens per team, and we only have one core set, so we need 14 additional tokens. Luckily, it does not matter how command tokens look - cent pieces should be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parzival Graal-Ritter
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clever - and skillfully executed!!

Hervorragend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oberon Blood
Peru
Huancayo
Junin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game fanMicrobadge: Pirate
Is there any way to get the skins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls