Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
UpstateGamer wrote:
#78 Rising of the North (4) (Turn 2)
Playable if Mary, Queen of Scots is captured in England.
Event: Spain flips three spaces in England to Catholic religion. These spaces must not contain a Protestant unit and must be within two spaces of a pre-existing Catholic space.
Then, if Spain is not at war with England, Spain adds unrest to four spaces in England. Spaces must be either unoccupied, or Catholic religion.
If Spain is at war with England, Spain does a Gunpowder Plot roll as if 4 CP were spent. This does not count against the one per turn limit.
If Spain *is* at war with England (which isn't all that common), then Rising of the North is worth around 6 CP to Spain, and can win it all for Spain, so it will only be played if Spain draws it. If Walsingham is ready, then it is a real long shot, and can horribly backfire. If Spain is at war with England, it is hard to think of a situation where a prudent English player will not have Walsingham waiting.
Was there errata to make this a Gunpowder plot, because as I have it it just causes a rebellion, which is not affected by Walsingham and can't backfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsingham can respond to Espionage activities, and ECR attempts are Espionage activities--by virtue of both their placement in the rules (section 19) and their activity color on Spain's power card. Rising of the North has not received any errata.

EDIT: I think I'm flat-out wrong on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Walsingham can respond to Espionage activities, and ECR attempts are Espionage activities--by virtue of both their placement in the rules (section 19) and their activity color on Spain's power card. Rising of the North has not received any errata.

EDIT: I think I'm flat-out wrong on this.
Why do you think you're wrong? The Card FAQ in the Scenario Book includes the following:

Quote:
78 Rising of the North: For the Rebellion action, follow the procedure in 19.4 starting with Step 2.
This makes it crystal clear that it is an ECR, minus the 6 conversion attempts, which the card replaces by granting 3 conversions outright. It looks to me like you had it exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, my bad. I should have read the entire section 19.4, not to mention the "Rising of the North question" thread before commenting. Joel, you were flat-out right when you said you were flat-out wrong. It must be contagious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference purposes here is a link to the thread in question: Rising in the North explained by Joel and confirmed by Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peacock
Canada
Montréal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
missing OP:
Quote:

by UpstateGamer

Cards #74-79, Turn 2

Scottish Lords Rebel
Lost Colony
Untimely Death
Portuguese Attack
Rising of the North
Synod of Emden

#74 Scottish Lords Rebel (2) (Mandatory) (Turn 2)
Event: Scotland revolts. Resolve its diplomatic status, giving the power who controls Edinburgh a +1 bonus, in addition to the bonuses from Scotland's religion. Scotland becomes controlled by the winner of the check, and all units in Scotland not of the winning power are displaced. Remove all Scottish units from the map and place two Scottish regulars in Edinburgh.
If England or the Protestants won the check, and Mary, Queen of Scots was alive in Scotland, she is now captured in England. If she was already captured or if France won the check her status does not change.

Historical Notes: In June 1567, a group of Protestant Scottish lords rebelled against their queen, Mary Stuart (card #89). There were many reasons for bad blood between the Scottish lords and Mary, but the immediate cause of the revolt was Mary's recent marriage to the Earl of Bothwell, a prime suspect in the murder of Mary's husband, Lord Darnley. When Bothwell fled rather than fight, Mary was easily captured and imprisoned. One year later, Mary escaped and raised an army to take back her throne, but was defeated and forced to flee to England, where Elisabeth I imprisoned her.

Strategy: This card's mandatory nature makes Scotland quite volatile. If you want to hold on to Scotland, you must invest in diplomatic influence/religious conversions, which are expensive. However, as England, I would not let Scottish Lords Rebel make me neurotic about conquering Edinburgh. After all, you win all ties in Scottish diplomatic checks, you will get the +1 for controlling Edinburgh, and Scottish Lords Rebel might not even come out.

#75 Lost Colony (2) (Mandatory) (Turn 2)
Event: Target any colony on the Atlantic Coast. Roll a die; 1-4, colony eliminated, 5-6, no effect.

Historical Notes: In 1590, a relief expedition for Roanoke Island found the colony abandoned, with no sign of the colonists. The settlement was still there, and there were no signs of an Indian attack. The word "Croatoan" (the name of a nearby island) was carved into a post, but the approach of a hurricane forced the expedition to depart before they could search for the colonists there. The fate of the 111 men, women, and children of Roanoke Island (one of whom was Virginia Dare, the first English child born in North America) remains a mystery to this day.

Strategy: Not a very important card, it makes the Atlantic Coast a bit less attractive for a colony.

#76 Untimely Death (2) (Mandatory) (Turn 2)
Event: Remove from the game one of the following leaders (who can be on the turn track, or captured):
Piyale Pasha
Duke of Alva
Don John
Santa Cruz
Leicester
Montmorency
Zrinyi

Strategy: This is a great event to draw, because you can use it in negotiations to extract payment from players in return for leaving their leaders alive. It doesn't give you a VP like assassination does, but it also never fails.

Don John is a common Untimely Death target, since he is so strong, and everyone loves to peck at Spain. As Spain, I recommend attacking the Ottoman navy with Don John right off the bat on turn 2. That way, you will get at least one use of Don John, and if he gets sent to the turn track, players may decide he isn't worth killing off after all.

I think that Montmorency and Zrinyi should be targeted more often rather than automatically killing Don John. France and the HRE are the two powers most likely to win early. Killing off one of their leaders reduces their surge power by preventing them from stomping keys with 14-unit kill-stacks. In France's case, once Montmorency is gone, the only other French army leader is Henry III, who has a 0 tactics rating, and is horribly vulnerable to assassination. Lots of players don't realize how strong France can be early on, focusing only on Spain.

#77 Portuguese Attack (2) (Turn 2)
Event: Eliminate one colony adjacent to the South Atlantic, the Indian Ocean, or the South Pacific. Colonies of powers allied to Portugal are immune to this card. If the power playing Portuguese Attack controls Lisbon, they draw a treasure immediately, but it must be held until a future impulse.

Historical Notes: French Antarctique, at Rio de Janeiro, was destroyed in 1567 by the Portuguese.

Strategy: Unlike the Lost Colony card, this one is not mandatory, but it also never misses, so it is unclear whether it is better to land colonies on the Atlantic Coast or in Brazil. Not much else to see; colonies are not terribly important in VQ.

#78 Rising of the North (4) (Turn 2)
Playable if Mary, Queen of Scots is captured in England.
Event: Spain flips three spaces in England to Catholic religion. These spaces must not contain a Protestant unit and must be within two spaces of a pre-existing Catholic space.
Then, if Spain is not at war with England, Spain adds unrest to four spaces in England. Spaces must be either unoccupied, or Catholic religion.
If Spain is at war with England, Spain does a Gunpowder Plot roll as if 4 CP were spent. This does not count against the one per turn limit.

Historical Notes: Catholic nobles in northern England rebelled against Elisabeth I in 1569, as they had rebelled against Henry VIII (the Pilgrimage of Grace) one generation before. They hoped to depose Elisabeth and replace her with the Catholic Mary Queen of Scots, who had recently been imprisoned in England. The rebels had indecisive leadership, little popular support, and no outside help. Pope Pius V excommunicated Elisabeth I to try to aid the rebel cause, but before his Papal Bull could reach England, the rebellion was smashed by forces loyal to Elisabeth I.

Strategy: Obviously, this card is just 4 CP before Mary Queen of Scots is captured. After she is captured, before Spain is at war with England, it becomes a good event for Spain. It will take England around two cards to clean up the mess (4 CP to remove unrest, 2 CP to suppress heresy). England may well not bother if the unrest is in unimportant areas, especially since it can happen again.

If Spain *is* at war with England (which isn't all that common), then Rising of the North is worth around 6 CP to Spain, and can win it all for Spain, so it will only be played if Spain draws it. If Walsingham is ready, then it is a real long shot, and can horribly backfire. If Spain is at war with England, it is hard to think of a situation where a prudent English player will not have Walsingham waiting.

#79 Synod of Emden (3) (Turn 2)
Event: Flip any three spaces in the Netherlands to Protestant religion. The three spaces may contain Catholic units and do not have to be adjacent to pre-existing Protestant spaces.
Remove from deck if played as an event.

Historical Notes: At Emden, Germany (a town just across the border from the Netherlands), in 1571, 29 Dutch Calvinist leaders met at a Synod, and founded the Dutch Reformed Church.

Strategy: This is a good Protestant event, best if the English, French, or HRE play it rather than the Ottomans or the Protestants themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls