Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played 5 expansion games solo with 1 investigator this weekend, and I experienced two extremes- either very close, or easy wins.

My first 3 games, with Abhoth, Glaaki, and Tsathoggua, were all tense and challenging.

Abhoth slaughtered me due to poor planning and a couple master mythos coming close on top of each other- let all 3 Children out, thinking I would get rid of one of them at the last minute, and then discovered I couldn't because I didn't have enough sanity/stamina, and couldn't muster 8 investigations on a single roll. Had 5 doom, and 3 or 4 elder signs. Now this is more like it!

Glaaki was the best, as I sealed him in as the final 2 doom tokens were about to be placed by a lingering mythos effect- literally on the final turn before midnight. Lost one adventure card permanently due to the 'It's Quiet' midnight adventure early in the game, and got nailed by the 'Slithering Shadows' midnight effect in the middle, which ramped up the tension nicely.

Tsath game went on quite a while- the doubled pricing at the entrances slowed down my progress considerably. I lost 2 investigators, too. At one point he was up to 9 doom, but I managed to remove 2 before sealing him in. Not quite the same rush as Glaaki, but not a cakewalk, either.

Nyarly, on the other hand, was an easy win, even pulling 3 of the mask monsters. Just one doom.

Yig was also easy- peaked with 3 doom, removed one, and done. Had to remove 2 elder signs, too- once for a cultist, another from a mythos 'choice' card. However, I lost Leo on the first day due to the adventure that causes you to be cursed at midnight (and curses you if you fail it). That's a nasty one.

Overall, I think the difficulty has been ramped up with the expansion. There are a lot more monsters (and a few more adventures) that lock dice, and some pretty brutal midnight effect adventures. Master mythos have a more profound effect on the game, even when they don't add doom. Blessings do tend to come up more than curses, but when you get cursed, heaven help you if there aren't any easy adventures out and you don't have items or trophies to spend. The chapel gives you something compelling to spend your trophies on, so I rarely finished a game with an excessive number in hand, which used to happen all the time before the expansion (I hated buying elder signs). However, there is still an issue with the doom track not filling up much if you have 3 or 4 easy mythos cards in a row, and I can understand why some might feel that the game is still too easy.

If they do another expansion, I'd like to see an entire deck of master mythos cards that could replace the base deck completely (another 12 or 13, maybe), and throw in some that automatically add 2 or 3 doom, in addition to other lingering detriments. There are some good (meaning hard) mythos in the current deck, but you really need to weed out the wimpiest ones if you want a consistent challenge. They could also create unique mythos cards for each GOO (7 or 8 seems like a good number), to supplement the master mythos deck and build it up to 30 or so. If you added a handful of GOO-specific mythos to the full 61 card deck (or even the 52 without the masters), they would be too diluted (same goes for the adventure deck, which I think is pretty well balanced as is).

Still loving this game. It's perfect solo, and a lot of fun with 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up! Can't wait for my copy to arrive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice summary of your games. Did I get it right: The game became harder but it is still too easy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
Nice summary of your games. Did I get it right: The game became harder but it is still too easy?
It is both, and much of it depends on the mythos cards (and some very bad midnight adventures) that come up. I played a couple more again last night, and the same thing happened. Hastur walloped me due to mythos adding consistent doom every midnight, and Slithering Shadows coming out right before midnight when I only had 2 doom left and 4 monsters in play (and lost an expected day to stock up on clue tokens/get rid of monsters). Since Hastur got to attack first, I died after the first day of battle, removing only 2 doom.

I then played Ithaqua, and beat him with just 2 or 3 doom, because the mythos cards weren't bringing them out and I managed to get blessed twice (and kept it the 2nd time for a good 10 turns or so, until the end). However, when I used the adventure where you unleash 2 or 3 monsters (but only need a single lore for an elder sign) for the easy win at the end, I had 8 or 9 monsters out, with 2 red locks, which probably would have made the game much more challenging had it continued. I was playing as the doctor, and, even with his ability, I found myself needing to heal at the first aid at least once a day.

I'm glad it usually takes a while to get blessed- if you get 3 or more doom in the first couple days, the game is more tense, and it makes a comeback from the brink of destruction all that much sweeter. However, they probably need to add a 'check' to keep your blessing- maybe, after a success at an other world adventure, roll your blessing die and if you get a terror you have to discard the blessing or something. They are very powerful, and there probably aren't enough things that curse you yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came across the Night Watchman (I think that was the card) last night, and that guy is brutal. Playing with one investigator, he wiped out two in a row by himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
Nyarly, on the other hand, was an easy win, even pulling 3 of the mask monsters. Just one doom.
Question: Does Unseen Forces add additional Mask Monsters?

If it doesn't, then Nyarlathotep would get nerfed, since the impact of his 5 Masks would be thinned among the larger aggregate pool of monsters in the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are 2 new mask monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Ah, it's written right in the rulebooks. Unseen Forces adds 1 Mask Monster and 12 regular Monsters. The base game has 5 Mask Monsters and 22 regular Monsters.

So, base game: 5 Masks out of 27 (5 + 22) = 18.5% chance of drawing a Mask
Base game + Unseen Forces: 6 Masks out of 40 (1 + 12 + 5 + 22) = 15% chance of drawing a Mask

Yyyyyyyep. Unless the new Mask is really, really dangerous, it looks like Nyarlathotep got nerfed.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
rpickman wrote:
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Ah, it's written right in the rulebooks. Unseen Forces adds 1 Mask Monster and 12 regular Monsters. The base game has 5 Mask Monsters and 22 regular Monsters.

So, base game: 5 Masks out of 27 (5 + 22) = 18.5% chance of drawing a Mask
Base game + Unseen Forces: 6 Masks out of 40 (1 + 12 + 5 + 22) = 15% chance of drawing a Mask

Yyyyyyyep. Unless the new Mask is really, really dangerous, it looks like Nyarlathotep got nerfed.soblue
It looks like the new Mask monster needs two terror and adds a doom token on defeat. That is pretty nasty.

Also keep in mind that it isn't a straight nerf as most of the new generic monsters increase the game's difficulty anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls