DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dodging onto the ball. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Conklin

Jacksonville
Florida
msg tools
Ran into this the other day. On my opponents turn, the ball was at rest in a hex adjacent to my striker. His guard attempted to slam my striker and I advoided with more than double the sucesses. My question is, can my striker pick up the ball on my opponents turn, i.e. I dodge onto it, or does the ball bounce?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
Season 1 rule book, page 42 wrote:
Picking up the ball must be part of any Jack, Striker or Keeper’s action that involves moving onto a new hex that contains a loose ball.
(emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Picking up the ball must be part of any Jack, Striker or Keeper’s action that involves moving onto a new hex that contains a loose ball.
(emphasis mine)
Furthermore if you successfully double the attempt to pick up the ball you would get a free action that you take immediately (this is one of the ways that you can score in your opponents turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Conklin

Jacksonville
Florida
msg tools
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Emphasis mine

Wouldn't the fact that it isn't the Jack, Striker, or Keeper's action make it so that he doesn't get a chance to pick up the ball? The action being taken is a slam by a guard, the jack isn't acting. It's responding, but dodging is not an action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eruletho wrote:
Emphasis mine

Wouldn't the fact that it isn't the Jack, Striker, or Keeper's action make it so that he doesn't get a chance to pick up the ball? The action being taken is a slam by a guard, the jack isn't acting. It's responding, but dodging is not an action
Dodge is an action described in the Actions section of the rulebook. It just doesn't require an action token to do as it's a reaction to a Slam. It's also been clarified in the Dreadball FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
jonahmaul wrote:
It's also been clarified in the Dreadball FAQ
Not that I doubt that, Jonah, but could you state where it's clarified, 'cos I tried to search for it and couldn't find it.

I found one entry discussing what happens if you double on the pick-up attempt (which implies that one does get a chance to pick-up) but nothing stating that you do definitely get a pick-up attempt.

Nor that Dodge is an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
It's also been clarified in the Dreadball FAQ
Not that I doubt that, Jonah, but could you state where it's clarified, 'cos I tried to search for it and couldn't find it.

I found one entry discussing what happens if you double on the pick-up attempt (which implies that one does get a chance to pick-up) but nothing stating that you do definitely get a pick-up attempt.

Nor that Dodge is an action.
Dreadball FAQ wrote:
Q: If a player that can carry the ball is pushed back into a hex containing a loose ball do they have to try to pick it up?

If so, does this happen before or after the pushing player chooses whether to follows up or not?

What happens if a player is pushed back onto the ball and knocked down in that hex?

A: Yes, a model must always try to pick up the ball if they can. This happens after any follow up. The ball scatters if you fall onto it (however that happens) and does so after any pushing player has followed up (or chosen not to).

D: Players don’t often get pushed back onto the ball as this is giving away possession, but it can happen. Typically this is when there is a large ruck with lots of players putting Threat Hexes on each other. The thing to remember is that the ball cannot be in the same hex as a player without that player holding it. To do so would be to make things far more confusing than they need to be. So, if a player enters a hex with the ball in they will always try to pick it up if they can (and scatter if they fail), or scatter it as they go through if they cannot pick it up.
and

Dreadball FAQ wrote:
Q: Can I score a Strike during my opponent’s Rush?

A: Yes.

D: This can happen a number of ways, none of which are terribly common, but they do happen and can even be planned for by cunning Coaches. This centres around the ball scattering or being launched, and a player from the non-Rushing team being in the way and doubling their catch. This gives them a free action which must be taken immediately and could be a Throw, which in turn could be a Strike – hence scoring in their opponent’s Rush.

Basically you need to combine those rules! When you move into a hex with the ball you have to attempt to pick it up which has already been established and any double gets you a free action regardless of who's turn it is.

Actions are pages 33-46 in the Rulebook with Dodge being underneath Slam and Steal. It's not very clear because it doesn't have it's own entry but Dodge and Slamback are (re)actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonahmaul wrote:
Dreadball FAQ wrote:
Q: If a player that can carry the ball is pushed back into a hex containing a loose ball do they have to try to pick it up?

If so, does this happen before or after the pushing player chooses whether to follows up or not?

What happens if a player is pushed back onto the ball and knocked down in that hex?

A: Yes, a model must always try to pick up the ball if they can. This happens after any follow up. The ball scatters if you fall onto it (however that happens) and does so after any pushing player has followed up (or chosen not to).

D: Players don’t often get pushed back onto the ball as this is giving away possession, but it can happen. Typically this is when there is a large ruck with lots of players putting Threat Hexes on each other. The thing to remember is that the ball cannot be in the same hex as a player without that player holding it. To do so would be to make things far more confusing than they need to be. So, if a player enters a hex with the ball in they will always try to pick it up if they can (and scatter if they fail), or scatter it as they go through if they cannot pick it up.
and

Dreadball FAQ wrote:

D: This can happen a number of ways, none of which are terribly common, but they do happen and can even be planned for by cunning Coaches. This centres around the ball scattering or being launched, and a player from the non-Rushing team being in the way and doubling their catch. This gives them a free action which must be taken immediately and could be a Throw, which in turn could be a Strike – hence scoring in their opponent’s Rush.
Cheers, I found the second but not the first - which makes it clear that it applies to any movement of any player that causes said player to enter the hex containing the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
Dreadball FAQ wrote:

and

Dreadball FAQ wrote:

Cheers, I found the second but not the first - which makes it clear that it applies to any movement of any player that causes said player to enter the hex containing the ball.
Yeah, it's sometimes a pain in the ass to find! There is generally a consistency across the rules though which means you can usually make a fairly accurate assumption at the correct ruling. Not always mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonahmaul wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
Dreadball FAQ wrote:

and

Dreadball FAQ wrote:

Yeah, it's sometimes a pain in the ass to find! There is generally a consistency across the rules though which means you can usually make a fairly accurate assumption at the correct ruling. Not always mind!
Yeah, that's why I was fairly sure my interpretation of the main rule was correct.

I just wanted confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls