Hide
7 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » Variants

Subject: Abu Simbel Without Leaders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Lankenau
msg tools
I came here to ask for ideas in making Abu Simbel playable with only the base game. I bought the Wonder Pack a few days ago knowing full well what Abu Simbel required. I bought it with the plan of eventually buying the Leaders and Cities expansions down the road. Key word: eventually.

Until that time comes, I would like to be able to play with Abu Simbel if possible. I'd love to hear ideas for making Abu Simbel playable without Leaders, and keeping the general idea of its wonder power intact. (as intact as possible without owning, you know, Leader cards)

The only idea I've had so far (not play-tested) is having Abu Simbel receive VPs relative to the resource cost of the card used to build his wonder stage. Something along the lines of receiving 1 VP per brown resource required and 2 VPs per grey resource required.

For example: Abu Simbel uses the Palace to build Stage 3 of Side A. The Palace requires 4 brown resources which = 4 VPs and 3 grey resources which = 6 VPs for a total of 10 VPs.

Thoughts? Other variations floating around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best I can think of would be, when you build a/the tomb stage, pay up to 4 coins. 2 VPs per coin paid. Put the coins beside the tomb to remind you how much you've paid.

It's close to what the stage actually does - it gives you a little more flexibility compared to the original in that you can get effectively 6-7 VPs from it with no extra cost, but you have more free reign over what price you actually pay with it.

Another possibility that might work, simulating the uncertain value of leaders in hand... roll 5 dice at the start of the game. Discard the highest and lowest value (leaving 3 dice). When you build a tomb stage, put one of those dice by the tomb and pay that many coins, you get two times that many VPs and the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Best I can think of would be, when you build a/the tomb stage, pay up to 4 coins. 2 VPs per coin paid. Put the coins beside the tomb to remind you how much you've paid.

It's close to what the stage actually does - it gives you a little more flexibility compared to the original in that you can get effectively 6-7 VPs from it with no extra cost, but you have more free reign over what price you actually pay with it.

Another possibility that might work, simulating the uncertain value of leaders in hand... roll 5 dice at the start of the game. Discard the highest and lowest value (leaving 3 dice). When you build a tomb stage, put one of those dice by the tomb and pay that many coins, you get two times that many VPs and the end of the game.
Very good idea, I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My stab at this would be to just mummify one of your regular (non-Leader) cards that you've already played.

Pay the following:
1) the cost of resources (should be zero sum, but should "punish" those who had to commerce for them)
2) gold in the amount of # of resources in cost -2
For example, 3 stone building like Aquaduct (blue, 5pts) requires 3 stone, so pay $1
Gold is NOT a resource for the purposes of this case.

VP =:
{$$ x2} + {# of raw resources} + {# of finished resources x2}

or straight up {# resources} if doubling the grays is too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bread eaterMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Christian
Why not just choose an already played Age card to bury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
That's what was implied, but I can see where someone can reasonably think that my post was referring to cards in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bread eaterMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Christian
ackmondual wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
That's what was implied, but I can see where someone can reasonably think that my post was referring to cards in hand.
You're right! I somehow missed the main point of your post. (or you have since edited it)

I think I skipped down to your equation without even reading the part that said when to apply it. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls