Subject: The new rules as of July 1st rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As presented here on CSW: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@@.1dd5833a/1702 Compass Games have now uploaded the new rules on their website. They have chosen to call the zip file 'Optional rules + play aids'. The reasons for this are not known to me, but since this may confuse a number of people I thought that I would take this opportunity to explain a bit more of what is going on.

That zip file contains:

1. A completely rewritten, reorganized rulebook.
2. A new playbook, partly rewritten and reorganized.
3. A set of revised play aids to be consistent with the above.
4. A list of event cards with all that is needed to be consistent with the new rules.
5. A list of rule and playbook contents.
6. A new sequence of play.

Included is all known errata when we started the project and all designer clarifications posted on CSW. Also included are answers to about 100 questions answered via private email by the designer on everything that was needed to bring clarity to the rules. The designer also took the opportunity to include some more errata he found in the scenarios.

Most importantly all documents have been checked, adjusted and approved by the designer. As you probably have deduced by now, the old rules and the new rules are quite different animals. I cannot speculate on why Compass want to call the new rules optional, but they are certainly more than a list of optional rules (although there are some new optional rules included in the new rules, actually). That they want to make the use of the new rules optional is one thing, but now at least you know what they contain.

I hope you like them, they were fun to write although at this point it certainly does not look like they were worth the trouble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been the strangest update for game I have ever seen

Thank you for taking the time to help all of us with this game. I enjoyed it before but now expect that I can now stop scratching my head and play the game and not worry about the unanswered questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeotter wrote:
This has been the strangest update for game I have ever seen

Thank you for taking the time to help all of us with this game. I enjoyed it before but now expect that I can now stop scratching my head and play the game and not worry about the unanswered questions.
Ditto, thanks! I've been holding off on this for the rewrite. For the life of me I don't understand why Compass is doing this to themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Napoleonic Wars enthusiastMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Eagles of the Empire fanMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Enemy Action Ardennes fan
Thanks Björn, I appreciate a lot what you did and will use the "optional" rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I know it's not real money, but I'm transferring 100 Geekgold to you as a token of my appreciation for your efforts. Good job, Bjorn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am eager to hear of any reactions from those of you who have had the chance to go through the new rules in more detail. Good or bad, fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game is rolling along well and Bjorn's support is greatly appreciated. Well worth playing for anyone that is on the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Stout Beer fan - thick and headyMicrobadge: Young Turk!Microbadge: I train my kid to become a wargamerMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
so are these rules going to be used in the upcoming reprint in Aug 2019? I hope Bjorn is compensated for doing this post release development work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Kienzle
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
so are these rules going to be used in the upcoming reprint in Aug 2019? I hope Bjorn is compensated for doing this post release development work.
"The original rules and playbook will be updated with errata and clarification by designer. This is not the rewrite version."

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd087eb/19455
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Schaefer
msg tools
I just obtained the NiA 2nd reprint, and I am somewhat confused by the postings on CSW and here as well. Which set of the rules are truly up to date? Is it the rule book in the 2nd reprint, or the rewrite from 6 years ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Thomas
msg tools
The most updated rules are the rules that are in the 2nd reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Schaefer
msg tools
You are right. Stanislas confirmed this on CSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the 2019 rules are missing some good clarifications made in the re-write. Honestly, I'd have a copy of both handy when playing.

The 2019 rules can be the main rules used but there is some goofy stuff that is still there that was cleaned up in the re-writes.

Example: in reference to having extended peace deals, the 2019 rules use the non-game-mechanic word 'vanquish' while the re-write more clearly says 'conquer', which has a meaning in the game mechanics. The use of 'vanquish' maybe being a translation issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls