Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD House
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have an Android phone, but I'm thinking of getting an iPad because of all the board games that just don't exist for Android.

However, I kind like the smaller size of the iPad mini. My question is: will board games that will run on the iPad (but not on the iPhone) also run on the iPad mini?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Any game that will run on the iPad will run on the iPad mini. They run the same operating system.

The iPhone is a different story though. An application will only run on both iPad and iPhone if it is marked "Universal".

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but sometimes not as well from what I've heard (xcom). Sometimes they are more prone to crash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD House
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Editing this post because I didn't see Cory's before hitting "submit".

How widespread are the crashing issues? Anyone have any direct experience with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Yes, but sometimes not as well from what I've heard (xcom). Sometimes they are more prone to crash.

That is true. The iPad mini is technically the same guts as an iPad 2. The current gen iPad (iPad 4) has upgraded components. So it is possible that some more graphically taxing games won't run as well on the iPad Mini.

For what it's worth, I have an iPad 2 and every board game I have played on it has worked great. This includes classics iOS apps - Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Small World - and some of the newer releases - Eclipse, Agricola, Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

I think that that has more to do with the level of RAM and processing power, vs. the iPad 3 or 4. I've been researching an iPad mini too, and they are, apparently, similar to the second gen iPad as far as processor and RAM specs go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was redundant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

X-Com runs great on my iPad Mini. So does SW:KOTOR, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD House
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have researched more before I asked my question. This thread has some great iPad mini info:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/879204/gaming-with-the-ipad-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.