21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Small worlds or something that scratches the same itch. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there I'm looking for a light game that has a little conflict. I think small worlds is the one but I'm not sure which one/ones i should buy. Also if there are any other recommendations i would love to hear them! Thanks folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players? I thought small world wasn't great check out:

Nexus Ops

Cyclades

Kemet

Lords of Waterdeep

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a real light area control conflict game. It's fun if you do not take it seriously. It definitely is a good gateway game for non-gamers.

I second the recommendation of Kemet too. It is slightly heavier than SMALL WORLD, it also plays fast and furious, but it is important to know what the different tiles and cards do, as these really make or break your game.

I will add King of Tokyo to the recommendation. It is also very light and is a ton of fun, especially if you like dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere is a little lighter than small world, also smaller box and cheaper, yet as much fun. Plays with 2-6 players, about 1 hour.

How many people are you going to play with usually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, we usually have anywhere from 4-8 players I know 8 might be kinda hard but I'm looking forward to your ideas! I will have to look further into some of your recommendations!
Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysoch wrote:
Hi everyone, we usually have anywhere from 4-8 players I know 8 might be kinda hard but I'm looking forward to your ideas! I will have to look further into some of your recommendations!
Thanks!!

ah, that throws out some option, as some games only go up to 4, which would be impractical then.
A light conflict game with 8 - I don't know any right now.

Condottiere with up to 6 is quite good already I think.

Imperial 2030 and Antike also work with 2-6, are a maybe little heavier than Small world (yet not too complicated I think).

Edit: Shadow Hunters works with 4-8. This is almost the classic werewolf game, but with dice rolling to fight each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars will support up to 8 with the map expansion but the game won't be out until later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally did not like Small World.

I think EVO is a better choice for this style of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyclades is a good suggestion. There's an expansion coming out later on that will add a 6th player

I second Survive (with 5-6 player expansion, probably the others as well)

and 1812: Invasion of Canada. This game is much lighter than it looks. You can explain the rules in under 5 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World scratches many people the wrong way, but I think it's a good game nonetheless.

I'd recommend you buy Small World Underground instead though as they did a great job of improving it and the relics/places are fun. Can't say I've played anything else that scratches the same itch though I'm 'fraid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders or Citadels could work, even for a larger group. Or maybe BANG!.

These are in no way similar to Small World, though.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By "conflict" and your interest in small world, I'm interpreting that as you looking for some type of "dudes on a map" style game. With that in mind...

Small World is, by far, at it's best as a 2-player game. Maybe 3 players. With 2 players, it is significantly more strategic and deep, while still being very rules light (which is a good thing in my book). It's a good game with 4 or 5 players, but it becomes far more chaotic, with the gameplay focus shifting more to turn-by-turn tactics.

Cyclades is a great game for 3-5 players. It really moves along at a nice pace for a game as grand in scope as it is. Expansion might add support for 6? I'm not sure. This is one of the games were we regularly play it within the advertised playtime, (~90 minutes) which is remarkable.

Antike is a solid game as well for up to 6 players, and is my go to "Civ-Lite" game. However, it's out of print and can be hard to track down. The rules are not much more complex than Small World, pretty comparable in that regard, although it is a longer and more involved game overall.

You might also look at A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), especially if anyone in your group is familiar with the story. It's more involved and longer than any of the above games, but it is really a fantastic game of politics, area control, and conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Small World is, by far, at it's best as a 2-player game. Maybe 3 players. With 2 players, it is significantly more strategic and deep, while still being very rules light (which is a good thing in my book). It's a good game with 4 or 5 players, but it becomes far more chaotic, with the gameplay focus shifting more to turn-by-turn tactics.

Hunh, that's the first time I've heard someone say that. From my experience, I really enjoy it at the 3-4 player range the most. 4 players edges you onto the larger map which opens up strategic options. I also enjoy how much more quickly the races/powers are cycled through. It does get a little more chaotic than a 2-player match, especially early on. Feel like 2 player takes several rounds before you really start stomping on each other. 2 player can feel a little more dull at times, if you get a less-interesting initial push on races/power, or if you're playing a less confrontational person.

Also, I'll second Small World Underground. I didn't play the original much, but I really enjoy the slight differences the sequel adds. The river down the middle creates some strategic differences, especially with several races designed to play off the river. The added items and special places can be annoying to keep track of, but they create a really fun element of trying to horde your treasures.

I haven't played these games, but they're very high on my list, and I believe would scratch a similar itch: Kemet and Evo (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
By "conflict" and your interest in small world, I'm interpreting that as you looking for some type of "dudes on a map" style game. With that in mind...

I couldn't disagree with this statement more than anything I've ever read in this site. Smalworld was one of the biggest disappointments of games I have played to date, and we only play two player games. It was the only game my girlfriend has ever said she hated and would not play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more than anything I've ever read in this site.

"Only Sith deal in absolutes"

Wait, that's an absolute wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more than anything I've ever read in this site. Smalworld was one of the biggest disappointments of games I have played to date, and we only play two player games. It was the only game my girlfriend has ever said she hated and would not play again.

Obviously the game isn't for everyone - but as a 2-player game, there is far more opportunity for strategic depth than people give it credit for. I was skeptical for a while too - then I stumbled on this post:
You Do Not Get It

It changed my perspective on the game considerably, and I tried playing more 2-player games with the same opponent (my wife in this case) and we both found it to be quite deep - but you have to think a little out of the box and be aggressive in your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I couldn't disagree with this statement more than anything I've ever read in this site.

"Only Sith deal in absolutes"

Wait, that's an absolute wow

I hate all generalizations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rattus

It's a light game, with conflict...it's fun, looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy smallworld,and the expansions are great. I mostly play two player but like it with more better. The thing with smallworld is it fits a specific niche, quite well in my opinion. If you are looking for that niche then you will probably like it. Its niche is quick, light, not too serious, but not weak on stratagy warish game.

Just a side not depending on if you have an iPad/iPhone and the app is on sale that could be a cheap way to see if you like it.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McFadden
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what you mean by "scratches the same itch" but I will give you my perspective of "light conflict - area control".

The following are all 6-player games:

Another very interesting area control with conflict that I believe is often overlooked is Age of Gods.

I think that Dominant Species is a masterpiece and if you haven't considered it should also be a consideration.

An amazing game which may fit the bill is Valley of the Mammoths which is played on a tight board with a lot of conflict between players for space and resources (food). As a bonus, it has fabulous artwork and some very humorous elements.

Another game which we have played a lot is Mare Nostrum with the 6th player expansion but it is sometime difficult to find.

I have also really enjoyed Kemet which someone else recommended but it may be a little more heavy on the conflict and is for 5 players.

I personally did not like Rattus at all and cannot understand why it seems to have garnered such a following and so many expansions ! But to each their own ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.