Android: Netrunner – Opening Moves» Forums » General

Subject: A Broader Future for Bad Publicity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine something like this will probably see print, yes.

Maybe something like Faked Hit, somehow I don't see Poisoned Water Supply though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Bad Publicity is not to be compared to Tags.

It's to be compared to Brain Damage. It's hard to get rid of Brain Damage (so far, only a couple of resources which add hand size). It's even harder to remove Bad Pub (Elizabeth... and that's all)

Having as little as 3 BP is incredible handicap for Corp. It's up to 12 (TWELVE) free credits per turn for Runner, as long as he actually runs. And who wouldn't, with such money?

So don't expect EASY ways of framing Corp wuth Bad Pub tokens. See Frame Job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea that accessing a Scorched Earth giving Bad Publicity to the Corp is interesting.

That, by itself, would give the Corp a pre-game decision about how many SEs and other enablers such as SEA Source to include in the deck, to minimize the number of potential accesses the Runner could get.

It would also for the Corp in-game to decide on how long they could possibly hold onto a Scorched Earth before they discard it.

Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beepers wrote:
Bad Publicity sees little light. In the genesis cycle, no mention of Bad Publicity is given. Yet, Bad Publicity-related spoilers for the Spin Cycle outnumber currently-released Bad Publicity cards 4 to 2. Could this cycle finally define Bad Publicity?
Given it's one of the main foci of the cycle, I certainly hope so!

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what bits and pieces FFG come up with to play around with Bad Pub. It's already so refreshingly different than the original implementation.

Metalize wrote:
Bad Publicity is not to be compared to Tags.

It's to be compared to Brain Damage. It's hard to get rid of Brain Damage (so far, only a couple of resources which add hand size). It's even harder to remove Bad Pub (Elizabeth... and that's all)

So don't expect EASY ways of framing Corp wuth Bad Pub tokens. See Frame Job.
I suspect the illicit ICE will have something like "Corp gains 1(or X?) BP when ICE is rezzed". Which will allow for some nice mind games around their inclusion, as well as interactions with Crescentus and ES.

Oh, and Jinteki has Clone Retirement to ditch BP; not much, but it seems feasible at this stage to suspect (at least) that each Corp will have a way of removing BP, even if there isn't a neutral way of doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just waiting for the Corp card called "Whitewashing" which removes bad publicity. This is the "Spin Cycle" of washing machines anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that we will see a neutral way to get rid of BP. I mean, the runner is already winning most of the time, and anything over 1-2 BP is a HUGE disadvantage to the Corp. It has to be balanced. Hopefully, if the new Illicit ICE does cause BP, it has some really nasty effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting rid of BP seems inordinately cheaper than giving BP - Elizabeth Mills, the spoilered card, gets rid of BP at 1 click and 2 creds. Jinteki has one at that price point too, as an agenda (though I suspect it enables splashed BP strategies rather than fuel their own BP cards).

Offset that with the exorbitant price of Frame Job of two clicks and forfeiting an agenda...

It all leads me to believe that BP will be EXTREMELY powerful for the runner side, even beyond the running credit. Maybe there'll be a card that wins the game if you play it with the corp at 7 BP, harkening back to the original Netrunner. Something like Femme Fatale from the AC:R game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

Lol, random fake Femme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
BP is definitely going to be expanded on. We've already seen multiple new ways to give and remove it. Here are the BP cards from the original game:
http://www.netrunneronline.com/search/?q=bad+publicity&Find....

Scaldan - A virus that gives the corp a 1 in 3 chance each turn per virus counter to gain a BP, gain virus counter on hitting HQ. This thing would be ludicrously powerful if brought back. I imagine we'd see something more like gain virus on hitting HQ, remove 3 (4? 5?) counters to give 1 BP, or at the end of the corp turn if it has more than 3 (4? 5?) counters, the corp gains a BP (the latter if it's a shaper virus).

Faked Hit - 5 credits, gain 2 brain damage to give 1 BP. We could definitely see something like this again I think.

Frame-Up - 2 credits, play only if you hit both R&D and HQ this turn, give one BP, and another BP if you stole or trashed any Black Ops cards this turn. If we see this return I expect it to cost more. Frame Job may be the "fixed" version of this.

Identity Donor - 0 cost, play only if the corp would deal you Meat damage on their turn, prevent that damage and they gain two Bad Pub. This doesn't fit in the rules currently as we don't have room for "instants", but we might see this as a "hidden resource" down the line if those are implemented in a later cycle. This seems like a stupid strong response to Scorched Earth but otherwise pretty mediocre, since if they aren't playing Scorched Earth they are unlikely to meat damage you on their turn.

Live News Feed - Make a run, give the corp 1 BP for each Black ice (Illicit Ice) encountered during the run, 1 for each Black Ops card they rez that run, and 1 for each Black Ops agenda you steal that run, take two tags. This one seems somewhat plausible.

Poisoned Water Supply - Trash two connections, 4 credits to give them 1 BP. Seems like it could return.

Senatorial Field Trip - 1 cost, play only if the corp rezzed a black ice this turn, they either derez it or take two BP. Seems maybe a bit too conditional but could return.

Subliminal Corruption - Make a run, give the corp 1 BP for each advertisement trashed that run. 2 cost. Without a reliable way to trash Pop-up Window mid-run, this seems like it will only ever give them one BP, and only if they're running PAD/Adonis/Eve.

Backdoor to Netwatch - Hidden resource, 3 + Trash: Cancel a trace and give the corp 1 BP if the trace would do anything other than tag you. This seems too good given how weak Disruptor is.

Charity Takeover - It's Hostile Takeover but 4/1 and gain 9 instead of 2/1 and gain 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
even more important - in the original Netrunner BP was an alternative win condition. When the runner succeeded in getting the corp 7 BP he had won
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
I think the Illicit ice will be a big BP generator. I imagine that they will all read "As an additional cost to rez [this piece of ice], take 1 bad publicity." They'll probably be very nasty (lots of net damage, program trashing, etc.) and be relatively cheap to rez.

I'm excited for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm also anticipating Bad Publicity generating Black Ops with powerful effects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
murks666 wrote:
even more important - in the original Netrunner BP was an alternative win condition. When the runner succeeded in getting the corp 7 BP he had won
I seriously doubt they'll go back down that route again.

The BP decks in the original game were horribly uninteractive. Card limits fix most of that of course, but not making it a win condition is better.

That said, I could easily see a card like Notoriety where you can turn it into an agenda worth 1 point if the Corp has more than X Bad Publicity. That'd be pretty balanced I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
murks666 wrote:
I seriously doubt they'll go back down that route again.

The BP decks in the original game were horribly uninteractive. Card limits fix most of that of course, but not making it a win condition is better.

That said, I could easily see a card like Notoriety where you can turn it into an agenda worth 1 point if the Corp has more than X Bad Publicity. That'd be pretty balanced I think.
Agreed. I'd probably stop buying as that win condition led to boring, no run, combo decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not going to change the rules for what Bad Publicity is, but I could see an even that lets the runner exchange the corp's bad publicity for VP or something.

And bad publicity only led to noninteractive decks in the original game because they put it on cards that didn't require a run, like Faked Hit. I think most of the new Bad Publicity stuff is going to have at least some counterplay, I'd expect more things like Notoriety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Getting rid of BP seems inordinately cheaper than giving BP - Elizabeth Mills, the spoilered card, gets rid of BP at 1 click and 2 creds. Jinteki has one at that price point too, as an agenda (though I suspect it enables splashed BP strategies rather than fuel their own BP cards).

Offset that with the exorbitant price of Frame Job of two clicks and forfeiting an agenda...

It all leads me to believe that BP will be EXTREMELY powerful for the runner side, even beyond the running credit. Maybe there'll be a card that wins the game if you play it with the corp at 7 BP, harkening back to the original Netrunner. Something like Femme Fatale from the AC:R game
Don't forget Tu that Raymond Flint allows the Runner a "runless" HQ access whenever the Corp takes a Bad Pub; if there are more cards like that in the cycle (and I suspect there will be) then you've certainly got your extremely powerful BP mechanics. Frankly, if BP is capable of being that potent, I'd rather hope the Corp gets a chance to wipe it relatively easily.

Hmm, interesting thought. It appears I can rez my 3 copies of Elizabeth Mills and wipe 3 BP off, as long as I don't use her to blow up a Personal Workshop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls