Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Well I've had some great recs from this forum in the past, and discovered some awesome games that I might have never found otherwise, like König von Siam and Traders of Osaka.

What I'm looking for here is a rec tailored to my tastes. I want to discover a new game that wasn't previously on my radar, but that is right up my alley. I'm wondering if, apart from new games, that's even possible at this point, given my exposure to the hobby over the past few years. Do I know pretty much all the games out there apart from the past couple years? We'll see.

The rules are:

1. No games that I have rated
(I rate all the games I've played, so that means all the games I've played)

2. No games on my wishlist

You can use my profile description and the above two lists to see what kinds of games I like.

New releases are fine, but what will really surprise me is a previously-unknown but "totally me" game from 2010 or before.

Are you up to the challenge?! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Given that you enjoy Medina, abstracts, area / territory control, 2 player combinatorial games, and otherwise have excellent taste, you absolutely must learn Alien City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
NateStraight wrote:
Given that you enjoy Medina, abstracts, area / territory control, 2 player combinatorial games, and otherwise have excellent taste, you absolutely must learn Alien City.
Oooh, cool, never heard of this one. And coincidentally I just got some pyramids as a gift from
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!

of a Treehouse set. So all I'd need to do is buy a Piecepack set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Also, given your love of form meeting function and the fact that you did ask for a grail, you should explore the LudoArt Verlag (Fragile, Taurus) and Edition Perlhuhn (Göttinger Spiele) (Don Q. Series, Circulix, Rapa Nui) catalogs. You'd probably get on well with the original Franckh-Kosmos games, too. Also, Sumera, Aztec (and nearly all the other Zoch Verlag--the poor man's LudoArt--games), and Saturn (and all the other Theta games) also strike me as quite attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
So all I'd need to do is buy a Piecepack set.
I can set you up with [if it's still active] a custom Litko order for [not cheap] etched acrylic board tiles:

It's an absolutely fantastic game that never plays the same way twice and is full of many many tense moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Among more thematic, more multiplayer, more "modern" choices, I very much like Wind River, which is full of the "helping"-each-other bits of stuff like Marracash, Konig von Siam, et al. Also, frickin' beautiful to boot. With the same theme, and same "helping" bits [but implemented completely differently], I think Dakota is possibly the most misunderstood and underrated game on this site; it's beautifully mean-spirited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I got some for an biologist:

You're Bluffing!
Rather light auction and blind bidding gam. Easy, but fun. Very good to play with non-gamers.

Zooloretto
Also a family game, but not as childish as the cover may make it appear. Good 45min-game.

Tyranno Ex
Cute evolution game. Very thematic, funny artwork. I like it.

non-biologist:

Rapa Nui
Nice card game with original scoring system.

now to something heavier:

Egizia
one of the best worker placement games around.

Dungeon Lords
I'm surprised it doesn't appear on your list yet...

Mare Nostrum.
An epic feeling civ game playable in about 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I see you have Power Grid rated a 10 but don't havePower Grid: Factory Manager on either list. PG:FM is an awesome game, for me it scratches the same itch as Power Grid although much quicker and less mathy and therefore easier to get on the table.

You rated Twilight Struggle pretty high, by all accounts you should love 1960: The Making of the President. By the same token, I would guess this is also partially why you like Glory to Rome (as I do) for the games that use cards in multiple ways. Every list where I see people liking GtR usually has Innovation listed next.

You seem to like games with a travel motif like Hansa Teutonica (why?) and Thurn and Taxis which makes me wonder if you wouldn't also enjoy the same travel theme with a pick up and deliver mechanic. Some of my favorites in that category include Himalaya (currently on my grail list), Giants (a game I own, fantastic theme and production although it doesn't get the love I think it deserves from my local groups), and Elfenland (if you can find it with the extremely rare Elfengold, get it).

Giants, btw, will also work if you like that whole action point allowance system present in Tikal. I noticed you didn't have any of the others from the Mask Trilogy which includes Java and Mexica which I found weird since Tikal is my least favorite of the three.

And here are some games I might suggest just because:
Chaos in the Old World
Dominant Species
Duel of Ages II
Endeavor
Kings of Air and Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall looks like it'd be right up your alley.

Edit: I was going to come back to discuss the game a bit more when I got to a computer, but I'm super tired right now so I'll direct you to a great review written by casualgod. And... here it is.

Edited Again: Btw, I enjoyed going through your ratings page. You have some greats in there, but what I REALLY liked is the fact that you only have 1 expansion within 334 ratings. Now I'm off to do some research on König von Siam... Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ... another BGGer that rates Chess, Lord of the Rings:Confrontation and Fists of Dragonstones all high together ... too ? Amazing.

The game therefore you are looking for must be:

Ascending Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Tammany Hall. Recently had a one-and-done reprint, so as a grail game you should love it. It is usually compared to El Grande.

A game that Tammany Hall reminds me of is Chicago Express. While they are very different itch scratchers (one is a mean backstabby game about political corruption/area control while the other is a stockholding auction game about making the most money), both use no hidden/random info (other than which cubes come out of the bag in TH) and rely greatly on the inter-player dynamics to drive the gameplay, especially negotiation (though TH will have more people break their promises devil). The bonus of CE is it has even simpler rules than TH, plays in 60 minutes, and is easy to find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to throw in one more recommendation for one of my favorites: Clash of Cultures. This is by the same designer as Merchants and Marauders and if you can enjoy it as a 4X game with a lot of Civilization elements (it's basically a Civ game only it ends before gunpowder), based off your higher ratings I can see you liking it.

Also, the wonders that come with the game suck. You'd want to invest in these: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1119304/wonders-with-big-pyra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will look these over next weekend when I have more time, lots of promising games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls