sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Contest
There are hundreds of cards available now for the game, but not all of them see much play. The goal of this contest is for players to challenge themselves and find creative and fun uses for overlooked cards built around unique themes. The challenge is to create a deck that utilizes the strengths of the specific card in the overall deck strategy. Do not just take a few new cards and plop it into an already existing great deck.

Post your decks, with an explanation of how the deck should work in this thread. Post your deck by July 23rd, and then we will have a poll for people to vote on which deck they think is the best. The most votes is the winner. If there is decent participation, then we can do it again next month

This Month's Theme
Warhammer: Invasion is set in a heroic age where legendary heroes lead vast armies on the battlefield. Early on heroes were a big part of the game, but they have slowly fallen out of battle packs and decks. This month we will try to bring back the heroic age by building decks centered around heroes. Each deck must have at least two different heroes in them and at least six cards in the deck must have the keyword "Hero." The idea is to build a deck around these heroes and really utilize their abilities. There is an added restriction if making an Empire deck. Your two hereos can not be Friedrich Hemmler AND Wilhelm of the Osterknacht (pick one or the other).
Here are some card examples:

The prize
I can offer up 20GG for the prize. Plus, any geekgold tipped to this thread will also go to the winner. I guess it is not a huge prize, but this is all for fun anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Squig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's from a movie.
mbmbmbmb
Ok here we go. I've called this one "Thorgrimson Rules!" after the great cinematic achievement Billy Madison where the O'Doyles insist they rule despite evidence to the contrary:
(I can't get the damn youtube link function to work. Here's where you can find the O'Doyles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNgRmsx-14)

Anyway, here's the list:

Units:
3 Doom-Seeker
3 Dwarf Cannon Crew
3 Iron Defenders
3 Spirit Slayer
2 Bugman's Rangers

The Big Boys:
3 Duregan Thorgrimson
3 Gurni Thorgrimson

Tactics:
3 Grudgeborn Fury
2 My Life For The Hold!
2 Stubborn Refusal

Quest:
3 Ancient Debts Repaid

Supports:
3 Blessing of Isha
3 Gromril Armour
3 Plunderer
3 Helblaster Volley Gun
3 Rune of Resistance
2 Great Book of Grudges
3 Mining Tunnels

How this is supposed to work: In a perfect world you want to play Duregan Thorgrimson into your quest zone on Ancient Debts Repaid as soon as you can. Then, the inevitable slaughter of all the smaller, non-O'DoyleThorgrimson Dwarfs will come with a nice cash bonus. You want your Mining Tunnels out so you can develop sneaky Iron Defenders in non-O'Doyle populated zones (which the enemy will attack to avoid the O'Doyles). Them BAM! Ambush! The Doomseeker will be in the battlefield contributing to your anti-economy and giving you money when he dies doing so. Eventually you want to drop Gurni Thorgrimson into your battlefield and load him up with supports, each one giving him bonus power. He can eventually be hitting for 6 with just a Great Book of Grudges and Plunderer. Plunderer goes great with Doomseekers too. Blessing of Isha is for Gurni, since a big fat Gurni with lots of attachments is too sweet to lose to corruption.

The key supports to put on your O'Doyle's are the Gromril Armour and the Rune of Resistance, since the opponent will be gunning for your O'Doyles. Stubborn Refusal is another way to keep them alive, especially the bellicose Duregan, who will just keep fistfacing everyone.

Eventually the O'Doyles will be so rich and angry they'll drop the Grudgeborn Fury, which will cause the brothers (cousins? whatever) to team up for an attachment-laden, beatdown, game-ending attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll have a stab at Dark Elves this time, with a pinch of Rat added in. If you want to try out some starting hands, the deck is here.

Units:
3 Veteran Sellswords
3 Walking Sacrifice
2 Clan Moulder's Elite
2 Dark Elf Infiltrator
2 Shades
2 Skaven Packmaster
2 Skavenslaves
2 Dark Sorceress
2 Toxic Hydra
3 Enraged Manticore
2 Monster of the Deep

(Anti-)Heroes:
3 Beastlord Rakarth
1 Mortella
1 Malus Darkblade
1 Deathmaster Sniktch

Tactics:
3 Lash the Prisoner!
1 Muster for War
1 Whip the Slaves
2 Chillwind
2 Burn it Down

Support:
2 Sacrificial Pyre
3 Slave Pen
1 Altar of Khaine

Quests:
2 Sack Tor Aendris
2 Offering to Hekarti

The central idea is, of course, to let an early Rakarth provide juicy targets for the Manticores. Apart from that, sacrificing your own cheap stuff to get the big guns on the table, and corrupting/killing enemy units are obvious themes. Chillwind and ambushing Packmasters can provide surprise actions from Mortella and your Monsters of the Deep, and the Skavenslaves are a nice potential protection for your offense.

Apart from cost/loyalty issues, enemy support cards can be a back-breaker, so use your two copies of Burn it Down wisely. At least racial villages (Karak Hirn Mine and the like) should not be a problem for long - the Veteran Sellswords are useful for more than providing cheap sacrificies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Soares
Portugal
Sines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck below and in deckbox

Tactics:
3 Ded 'Ard
2 Mork’s Teef Ritual
3 We'z Bigga!
3 Get Outta My Way!
3 Pillage

Quests:
3 Raiding Parties

Supports:
3 Mob O' Hutz
3 One Orc's Scrap...

Units:
3 Baby Squig
3 Followers of Mork
3 Squig Herders
3 Big 'Uns
3 Ded Scary Boy
3 Frenzied Big 'Un
3 Orc Shaman

Heroes:
3 Urguck
3 Skarsnik and Gobbla

The main idea of the deck is to damage your own units so you can use their abilities, although it normally plays more on the defense, it can do rush in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Coelho
Portugal
flag msg tools
A little something I put together:

Units:
1 Mortella
2 Countess Iseara
3 Egathrond
3 Cold One Knight
3 Wight Lord
3 Seasoned Corsair
3 Outlaw Sorcerer
3 Walking Sacrifice
3 Scions of Misery

Support:
1 Warpstone Excavation
1 Har Ganeth
2 Hag Graef Mine
3 Slave Pen

Tactics:
2 Lash the Prisoner!
2 Chillwind
3 We Need Your Blood
3 Bladewind
3 Captured Mind
3 Invoke Khaine's Wrath

Quests:
3 Raiding Ships

It's not much but i thought of sharing none the less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was not planning on entering this month, but I got Warhammer: Invasion – Cataclysm this week. I started working on a new orc deck, and it ended up fitting the theme. This deck puts Urguck and Makka Greenfist in charge of leading a Snotling Invasion. Urguck stays back in the kingdom to make the preparations. The followers of mork will keep indirect damage on him to create extra resources. The Redface Zappa is a very easy way to ensure there is a damaged unit to fuel the squig herders, frenzy big uns, and Boar Boyz.

This deck seeks to really utilize the Snotling Invasion. The ancient map gets them in quicker. Cards like Long Winter, Stunty Smasher, and Orc Warning Post are there to mess with their developments so they are not there to be sacrificed. The Snotling Invasion will not finish the opponent off, but it will most certainly cause some damage which opens the door for Makka Greenfist to lead the charge and finish the zone off quickly. Ded Scary Boyz ambushing and Get Outta My Way provide defense in a way that fits with the overall deck.

The Heroes
3 Urguck
3 Makka Greenfist

Units
3 Redface Zappa
3 Boar Boyz
3 Followers of Mork
3 Squiq Herders
3 Frenzied Big 'un
3 Ded Scary Boy
3 Stunty Smasha
3 Goblin Raiders

Quest
3 Snotling Invasion

Support
3 Mob o Hutz
3 Orc Warning Post
2 Grimgor's Camp

Tactics
3 Long Winter
3 Ancient Map
3 Get Outta My Way
2 Troll Vomit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Squig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's from a movie.
mbmbmbmb
Your diabolical plan to wait for Cataclysm before entering the deck building contest has come to fruition. Makka Greenfist is just so damn good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is time to vote on this month's winner. Please pick which Hero-centric deck you think is the best:
Poll
Which deck do you think is best deck built around heroes?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Happy DD's Thorgrimson Rules!
28.6% 2
Maik's Dark Elves (with a hint of rats)
0.0% 0
SenhorDeTodoOMal's Self Damaging Orcs
14.3% 1
Chloud's Dark Elves
0.0% 0
SeanXor's Snotling Invasion Orcs
57.1% 4
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by SeanXor
Closes: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:00 am

Also we need to begin thinking about next month's contest and I have two ideas again.
Idea #1: Cataclysm is not out, and we have a new format for the game. Multiplayer focused decks will be a lot different than what we are use to, so we probably all need practice building decks that work well in a four player game. This idea is to make the best deck geared for the new format.

Idea #2: A lot of the big hitters in the Warhammer Invasion universe are creatures. This contest will be a "creature feature". From High Elf Dragons to Orc spiders, to Dark Elf monsters there are a lot of creatures in the game and this contest will focus on them. The goal is to make the best deck that makes use of the creature keyword.

Poll
What do you want to do for the August deck building contest?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Best Multiplayer Decks
37.5% 3
Creature Feature Decks
62.5% 5
Voters 8
This poll is now closed.   8 answers
Poll created by SeanXor
Closes: Thu Aug 1, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the latest FAQ ruled my orc deck impotent, it still managed to get enough votes to win this month. That means that next months contest will just start at 30 geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.