Hide
5 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board Games Similar to PC Indie Game Unreal World? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Purdy
msg tools
I discovered this indie game a while back and love the survival nature of it. Gathering resources, building things, hunting, all just to stay alive and keep from starving to death.

Are there any board games that simulate this very well?

I currently have ordered Agricola and it's expansions and I am waiting for the reprint of Robinson Crusoe in August. I really enjoy co-op games and games where you build things.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Unreal World. The following are based on your description of what you're looking for.

Stone Age has resources (including food) and building. No map -- I would guess it's played on a family or tribe scale.

The Settlers of the Stone Age has several resources, exploration, and 4 technology types. It is played on a modified map of the world.

Neither of the above is cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Purdy
msg tools
Thanks, I will look into these. I have heard of the first but haven't had time to check it out yet. I did however find a new survival game that is similar to Unreal World and Minecraft called Don't Starve. I am checking it out now but looks promising for a pc game.

I really can't wait for Robinson Crusoe! After watching a game play video of this, it's almost exactly what I am looking for. I love the story aspects similar to Arkham Horror, the being stranded on a beach, having to gather resources, craft tools, weapons, etc. The exploration part of it, the weather system, card recycling, events, and just the overall feel of managing workers and your "tribe".

I am not sure why games like these are so hard to find. Luckily Z-man is reprinting it as the only copy I have seen is $200 on amazon.

I also saw another game called The Cave that I thought looked nice. Basically a spelunker simulator. But as usual, when I find one of these Euro games that I think I want to buy, I can't find a copy to save my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Dungeon Petz? It's not about you keeping alive, more you keeping the pets in your petshop alive. The theme is excellent.

What else....
Wealth of Nations is an economic game solely driven by the players. The market is cruel and unforgiving and you can easily bankrupt yourself into oblivion if you're not careful. So a game about your corporation surviving....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!