Subject: Libyan WMD #39 played by Jihadists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Gaming since 1964Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Hex & Counter Wargamer
If the Jihadists play #39, how does the US handle it?

The card says it can be used for the OPS points but the US player isn't playing it; the Jihadists are.

So what happens?

Text of card reads:

Play if Libya Adversary, US Hard, and no Libyan Deal.
Use this card or a later card for Regime Change in Libya at any Governance.
(Remove marker if you do.)
MARK & REMOVE

It's a 3 point card.

My assumption is the reference to "use this card" means it could be used for the 3 OPS needed to do a regime change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Case Blue - The answer to all of life's wargaming questionsMicrobadge: Fall down six times, stand up sevenMicrobadge: Vassal player
Are you sure this is the right card you are asking about? There is no mention of ops on this card.

This card refers to regime change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
If Libyan WMD is played by the Jihadist they would most likely choose to take the ops unless they are masochistic..So Jihadist would get 3 ops and the US would get the event ASSUMING all of the conditions listed on the card are met for the event. So Libya at Adversary, US Hard, and Libyan Deal hasnt been played...

Pretty straightforward not sure if this is exactly what you meant.

Edit: thats just saying that the US could use that card as their regime change card for Libya at any governance (if you use the card for the event or its played by Jihadist.) so it wouldnt have to be Islamist Rule. The or a later card is because its going to be marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Case Blue - The answer to all of life's wargaming questionsMicrobadge: Fall down six times, stand up sevenMicrobadge: Vassal player
Yes, USA would be able to do regime change in Libya if the Jihad player plays this card. They would have two options:

a) Do it immediately - provided that USA has 6 troops to spare, and this would happen either before or after Jihad player use ops (his choice about the timing)

b) Use another 3ops card on a later turn to do RC, provided again they have 6 troops to spare.

In both cases Libya does not have to be Islamist Rule country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
This made me think about related issue.

If USA indeed does hit Libya with WMD card, after their RC the country would get green RC marker.

If it happens that is the last turn of the game, would Libya resource count for Jihad player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Right, I forgot to mention the conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:

If USA indeed does hit Libya with WMD card, after their RC the country would get green RC marker.

If it happens that is the last turn of the game, would Libya resource count for Jihad player?
For game end (2.3) calculation, it would, so I would advise the US player against it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Gaming since 1964Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Hex & Counter Wargamer
Thanks to everyone! Got my answer plus a lot more useful info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

For game end (2.3) calculation, it would, so I would advise the US player against it!
I'm unclear on this. Don't the country's resources only count for the Jihadist if it is - or was, in the case of the green regime change marker - under Islamist rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2.3 End of Game Victory ... For this game-end calculation only, count any Regime Change placed this turn (green marker, 4.8.2) as Islamist Rule.
Play it as written. You don't have to remember how the marker got there.

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Volko,

In the case of Libyan WMD, doesn't it allow the US to regime change Libya regardless of governance? So if Libya is, say, a poor adversary, and the Libyan WMD event happens, and I decide I want to regime change, if this happens on the last turn prior to end of game deck exhaustion, I count Libya's resources as Islamist even if it wasn't Islamist rule prior to regime change?

Sorry to beat the horse, I just want to make sure I play it correctly when it comes up. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, no worries, happy to!

Answer is yes and yes.

It was a US decision in that case to conduct a 11th hour invasion to the jihadists' benefit. Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok great, I get it now. Glad I saw this thread as I would've played that wrong otherwise. In such a case, the US would be handing his opponent resources the opponent never had to begin with. Bad move indeed. Thanks again, and let me take this opportunity to say that I enjoy your game. It is a very smart design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up