What are reading guys? I'm working on :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
Some light reading for July. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my ancients bent I just started

I don't know a whole lot about the conflict besides a rather bare bones overview so picked it up at the library for a 'light' summer read to learn a bit more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle of Bussaco... with a little Richard Sharpe mixed in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
first time reading a history book outside of school. Playing Here I Stand and reading Defenders of the Faith. enjoying it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about purchasing the Centennial History of the Civil War Trilogy (The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat) by Bruce Catton. Can any body give a positive recommendation for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:

I don't know a whole lot about the conflict besides a rather bare bones overview so picked it up at the library for a 'light' summer read to learn a bit more about it.

Read this one before. It's a pretty decent treatment of the subject, and manages to keep things lively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb

Thats right, revisionist conspiracy history, I am a bad , bad man. Gasp in awe as I stray too close to the dangerous truth!

Seriously I am enjoying it. This and Icebreaker are thought provoking and challenging reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Some light reading for July. laugh

Careful with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Great prose, but agenda driven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing the Centennial History of the Civil War Trilogy (The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat) by Bruce Catton. Can any body give a positive recommendation for them?

Beautifully written but slightly dated after 50 years.

Perhaps the library might be an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Reading about the battle of Pavia to prepare a Little Wars scenario.

I knew almost nothing about the campaign, except that the battle confirmed the position of Charles V as the master of Europe.

The endless parade of strange names and titles is quite confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
Thats right, revisionist conspiracy history, I am a bad , bad man. Gasp in awe as I stray too close to the dangerous truth!

I suspect the stance within revisionism or conformity is more important. Two revisionists may disagree, or for example Adam Tooze's oft-mentioned Wages of Destruction disagrees with the title of Laurence Rees' Auschwitz - The Nazis And The Final Solution.

David Glantz was a Soviet propogandist until he blamed Zhukov for Mars, at which point he became a capitalist falsifier. He says that Dubno-Brody counterstrike of 28th June [5000 tanks without any support, of which half got into combat and all of which were lost, taking 350 German tanks with them] was commanded by Zhukov, based on his order of mid-May, which is what Surorov interprets as a Soviet intention of invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost finished (currently in late 44) Antony Beevor " The second world war".

This is not the kind of book I would have purchased myself (too general). But as someone lent me this book, I give it a try.

This is a big book which try to cover all of WWII from 1937 in China to 1945. Funnily the China 1937 chapter appears after the 1939 Poland campaign, the rest of the book follows the historical timeline.
The author describes not only the military operations but also political and social events.

With so much to deal with in one book, most events are only depicted with a broad perspective. If you have a wider knowledge on specific events, the shortcuts are sometime embarassing. To add chrome the author present many anecdotes, but some of them feel really trivial compared to the book main goal.

This is is a chronicle, there is no analysis, the author doesn't gives you enough elements to make your own judgement, and you have to do with his own conclusions and opinions. In particular most characters encountered are "labelled" with a qualifier, or a short descriptive sentence, but many times it sounds questionable.
The maps are OK but there are too few of them. and my edition lacked a map index.

On a positive note, the book is easy to read and is rather up to date with recent research.

Overall this is a fair description of WWII, it is decent as a single book on the subject, but I find it was not as good as his books on single battle. many wargamers here on the forum, might prefer books on more specific topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Finished:

I cannot recommend it. While I thought it was going to be an in-depth analysis of the seizure of the assets of the Church (in effect, a Henry VIII Wages of Destruction), I was promptly disabused of the notion in the foreward -- "This is not, however, another book about the Dissolution of the Monasteries, per se ..." -- which is exactly what I had been looking for. After all, the subtitle was "Henry VIII and the Dissolution of the Monasteries"; a true misnomer in titling.

Instead, Part I describes the lifestyle of Durham Cathedral while Part II does in effect gloss over the actual dissolution, but not in a meaningful economic analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

Finished:

I cannot recommend it. While I thought it was going to be an in-depth analysis of the seizure of the assets of the Church (in effect, a Henry VIII Wages of Destruction), I was promptly disabused of the notion in the foreward -- "This is not, however, another book about the Dissolution of the Monasteries, per se ..." -- which is exactly what I had been looking for. After all, the subtitle was "Henry VIII and the Dissolution of the Monasteries"; a true misnomer in titling.

Instead, Part I describes the lifestyle of Durham Cathedral while Part II does in effect gloss over the actual dissolution, but not in a meaningful economic analysis.

The main title is a bit ropey too, the Palatine Courts continued to administer the law via the Court of Chancery of the County Palatine of Durham and Sadberge until 1971.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, an old Military Book Club selection that I never got to;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting this from Amazon soon:

It promises to take a fresh, objective look at Cuito Cuanavale, the obscure, important, and controversial battle fought in southern Africa in the late 1980s between the Angolan MPLA, a Cuban expeditionary force, and Soviet advisers on one side, and the Angolan UNITA and South African forces on the other.

UPDATE: According to Amazon, this book won't be available for shipment this month. Looks like it won't be published until September, so I'll tackle this one instead:

Grau has written multiple works on the Soviet-Afghan War. The book comes with a DVD with additional material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Deltarn, I'm reading Anthony Beevor's "The Second World War". It's a good overview, and is covering lots of bits that I didn't really grok much about; but like he said, I find myself wishing for more detail.

Also on the "To Read" pile:

The Drive on Moscow by Anders Frankson & Niklas Zetterling
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
Winter Storm: The Battle for Stalingrad by Hans Wijers
Luftwaffe Fighter Ace: From the Eastern Front to the Defence of the Homeland by Norbert Hanning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting The Steel Bonnets by George McDonald Fraser about the Scots-English border rievers.

Needless to say, I'm hot to trod to read this book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not exactly military history, but pretty close
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celebrating it hitting P500, next up on my list is:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
I am starting The Steel Bonnets by George McDonald Fraser about the Scots-English border rievers.

Some great stories in this one - Border clans offering to change nationality at the drop of a hat, feuds, homicides and cattle rustling, interrupted by the occasional full scale war. As it's by GMF, a guaranteed good read. All we need now is the major motion picture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:

I've got that one, as my last name appears frequently in it. Good book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Cierpicki
Malta
Gharb
Gozo
flag msg tools
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges . . .
badge
Hey, stop tickling me with your cursor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:

An absolutely splendid book let down, in part, by its maps, which could have aligned to a far greater degree with the narrative. A great read, nonetheless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.