Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Randomizer that selects cards from only a limited number of sets each time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a randomizer (online, downloadable, or for Android preferred, but IOS could work too) that allows you to set the maximum number of sets you want cards to be chosen from in each game? I like the flavor of each set to shine in many of my games, and that doesn't happen with only 1-2 cards from bunches of sets.

I know many allow you to manually pick what sets to turn on or off each time, but I would really like the option to keep all sets on and have a randomizer choose kindgoms that contain up to 3 sets (or however many I want that time.)

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked previously. I am still getting used to navigating the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion Shuffle for Android can approximate this via its conditional minimum feature. You can set groups (in this case, expansions) with a conditional minimum that says "if one card is selected from this group, include a minimum of x cards from this group". Set every expansion to Conditional 1 Minimum 3 and you'll get games with three random expansions. with the occasional single card from a fourth expansion thrown in.

Since it also lets you save sets of rules, you could have that config, plus a Conditional 1 Minimum 4 that will favor 2 expansions but allow a third, and a Conditional 1 Minimum 5 that will force two expansions only.

//edit: realized that I screwed up the above. All sets as C3 will always result in a 3/3/4 split, as a 3/3/3/1 split would violate the C3 rule on the single card. Similarly, all sets as C4 will generate either a 4/6 or a 5/5 split, as 4/4/2, etc, violate the C4 rule on the odd cards.

You could always leave the conditionals off the promo cards and then they could slide into the extra spaces without error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a standalone Java Swing application that does this. I plan to make an HTML version of it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If you want the Java version, I could email that to you. It takes an XML file for its card data, so if you want to remove some cards from randomization or add your own fan cards/sets, that's also possible.

PM me if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.dominiondeck.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alwaysjung wrote:
How does this provide what the OP is looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Dominion Shuffle for Android can approximate this via its conditional minimum feature. You can set groups (in this case, expansions) with a conditional minimum that says "if one card is selected from this group, include a minimum of x cards from this group". Set every expansion to Conditional 1 Minimum 3 and you'll tend to get games with three random expansions, with the occasional single card from a fourth expansion thrown in.

Since it also lets you save sets of rules, you could have that config, plus a Conditional 1 Minimum 4 that will favor 2 expansions but allow a third, and a Conditional 1 Minimum 5 that will force two expansions only.
Thanks for this answer. I didn't understand what the features did until you made this post. I had overlooked this app previously. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tatroe
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
An update for my app, Dominion Adept (iOS), just went live that does this, as well. It's my preferred way to pick (sort of a slant version of the Alchemy picking rules), even if it does tend to skew a bit from "by the rules" picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don A

Washington
msg tools
I've recently put my web-based Dominion Deck Builder online at http://home.wavecable.com/~sourdough78/DominionCardPicker.ht.... I believe it provides the feature you are looking for, but it's not iOS or Android.

- Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Garrel
flag msg tools
http://qbba.host56.com

It has exactly the feature you're looking for.
The "Size-weighted" card balance only works for 2 sets. (So that you will get 6/4 on large/small expansions)
For more sets, it just has an evenly distributed, rounded down minimum for the sets.

By the way, you can bookmark the kingdom page to save the settings, or go "Back" and then have the settings chosen on the main page.

Please excuse the annoying popup from the free webhoster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls