Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo E-Deck, Game #4 96 points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Well there's been some discussion about topping 90 points with the E-Deck on the iOS version. Here's how I got to 96 in my fourth game of a solo series. I forgot to record my full occs and minors, but I at least remember that none of the ones that were left unplayed gave points, so playing them wouldn't have changed my score.

Oh, and if there are any errors in my notation, it's just that... errors in notation. Final score was 96 as calculated by the iPad, so I know that's right at least. Anyhoo, here's how it went:

START: 11 food, Lord of the Manor, Tutor, Clay Mixer

OCCS IN HAND: Clay Deliveryman, Stablehand, Chief, ???
MINORS: Clay Supports, Potato Dibber, Quarry, Clogs, Axe, ???, ???

ROUND 1 (Sow & Bake)
* Occ: Clay Deliveryman
* Plough Field

ROUND 2 (MIMI)
* Plough Field
* Take Grain

ROUND 3 (Sheep)
* Take Grain
* Sow & Bake (Sow 2 grain fields)

ROUND 4 (Fences)
* Occ: Stablehand
* Take 4 Reed

ROUND 5 (FG)
* Plough Field
* Fish (+5F)

ROUND 6 (Stone)
* Take 12 Wood
* Take 8 Clay

ROUND 7 (Renovate)
* Renovate & Clay Supports
* Build 3 Clay Rooms and 2 Stables

ROUND 8 (Veggie)
* Family Growth + Quarry
* Day Laborer: 3 Stone, 2 Food

ROUND 9 (Pigs)
* Family Growth + Potato Dibber
* MIMI: Clay Oven (Bake grain for 5F)
* Day Laborer: 3 Stone, 2 Food

ROUND 10 (Stone)
* Family Growth + Clogs
* Take Vegetable
* Plough Field
* Sow & Bake (Sow 3 Grain fields, 1 Veggie field, bake 1 grain for 5F)

ROUND 11 (Cows)
* Take 10 Wood
* Fence (10 wood for a pair 2x1 pastures), free Stable from Stablehand
* Take 9 Sheep (Cook 4 sheep for 8F)
* Day Laborer: 3 Stone, 2 Food
* MIMI: Fireplace

ROUND 12 (FG)
* MIMI: Stone Oven (Bake 2 grain for 9F)
* Take 7 Stone
* Take 8 Reed
* Renovate + Well
* Take 8 Clay

ROUND 13 (Plough & Sow)
* MIMI: Pottery
* Take 4 Wood
* Fence (1x1 pasture and split existing 1x2 into two 1x1), free Stable from Stablehand
* Take 3 Cows (Cook 1 for 3F)
* Plough & Sow (Sow 1 vegetable)

ROUND 14 (Renovate & Fences)
* Take 6 Pigs
* MIMI: Basketmaker's Workshop
* Occupation: Chief
* Fish (+9F)
* Take 3 Sheep (Cook 3 for 6F)


Pastures: 4 for 4 points
Fields: 5 for 4 points
Grain: 8 for 4 points
Veggies: 4 for 4 points
Sheep: 8 for 4 points
Pigs: 7 for 4 points
Cows: 4 for 3 points
Fenced Stables: 4 for 4 points
Rooms: 5-stone for 10 points
Family: 5 for 15 points
Improvements: 16 (Well 4, Stone Oven 3, Clay Oven 2, Pottery 2, Basketmaker's Workshop 2, Fireplace 1, Quarry 2)
Bonus: 24 points (Lord of the Manor 7, Tutor 4, Chief 5, Clogs 2, Pottery 3, Basketmaker's Workshop 3)

TOTAL: 96 points

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


This ended up being a 99 point game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is hopeful - I have yet to break 46 in the first game of a solo series (on iPad). I have had the physical game for a couple of years, but have finally started to play now that it is on my iPad. I love it but I am a very inefficient farmer...

Thanks for the report - I try to avoid strategy articles, but I am happy to hear about what is possible!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Quarry is broke in half in the solo game. In my 5th solo round I had Quarry out 1st turn with a hand of Half-Timbered House, Conservator, and Clay Roof. Chief, Carpenter, Mason, and Seasonal Worker were down already. It ended up being an exactly 100 point game with a 12 room stone house.

Also Joe Brown, how did you manage to screenshot that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, figured it out!
Too bad you can't see replays of old games.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quarry, Half-Timbered House, and Animal Pen are my three favorite Minors in solo E-deck play. I agree Quarry is the most broken since it's free, and has crazy synergy with Seasonal Worker. The others are a big help for points / food but they do cost you something.

The others that I typically always play if they come up are Clay Supports and Stone Tongs, and of course the free/cheap ones that earn points (clogs, fruit tree, etc.)

I'm also a big fan of Animal Yard and Drinking Trough, which allow you to max out all 3 animals, plus pastures and fenced stables, with 5 or 4 pasture squares, respectively, instead of the 6 it usually takes.

I've never tried building a giant 12-room stone house. How do you do it? Use Clay Supports to reduce your reed needs, and use Clay Mixer and/or Deliveryman to find enough clay? Are there other combos that make it possible too?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn VanDerWoude
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip on Animal Yard. I remembered it on my last solo series play which saved me space for a 5th stone room while still maxing out everything for Lord of the Manor. That helped me edge over the century mark to 101 points in game #5. I was pushing the Seasonal Worker/Quarry combo to the point that I put no wood or clay into the house (Conservator helped).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
I feel like Quarry is broke in half in the solo game. In my 5th solo round I had Quarry out 1st turn with a hand of Half-Timbered House, Conservator, and Clay Roof. Chief, Carpenter, Mason, and Seasonal Worker were down already. It ended up being an exactly 100 point game with a 12 room stone house.

Also Joe Brown, how did you manage to screenshot that?
HAHAHA! A 12-room stone house! That's hilarious, would never have thought of attempting to do that. But how did that add up to 100 ? You only have 15 squares on which to build, meaning the best you could do is fill up the 3 remaining spots with stabled pastures, and max out at 4 animals each. Assuming the house pet was a boar, that would give you :

4 cows - 3 points
5 boars - 3 points
4 sheep - 2 points
3 stables - 3 points
3 pastures - 3 points
5 family - 15
12 stone house - 24

Chief - 12 points
Half-timbered - 12 points

That's all I can figure out. Total 77 points, -1 for no fields. Great score regardless, and I did see your screen shot for 100. Just wondering where the other 23 points came from. I can't imagine you had too much grain or veggies since you had no fields.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
dare978devil wrote:
Temelin wrote:
I feel like Quarry is broke in half in the solo game. In my 5th solo round I had Quarry out 1st turn with a hand of Half-Timbered House, Conservator, and Clay Roof. Chief, Carpenter, Mason, and Seasonal Worker were down already. It ended up being an exactly 100 point game with a 12 room stone house.

Also Joe Brown, how did you manage to screenshot that?
HAHAHA! A 12-room stone house! That's hilarious, would never have thought of attempting to do that. But how did that add up to 100 ? You only have 15 squares on which to build, meaning the best you could do is fill up the 3 remaining spots with stabled pastures, and max out at 4 animals each. Assuming the house pet was a boar, that would give you :

4 cows - 3 points
5 boars - 3 points
4 sheep - 2 points
3 stables - 3 points
3 pastures - 3 points
5 family - 15
12 stone house - 24

Chief - 12 points
Half-timbered - 12 points

That's all I can figure out. Total 77 points, -1 for no fields. Great score regardless, and I did see your screen shot for 100. Just wondering where the other 23 points came from. I can't imagine you had too much grain or veggies since you had no fields.

Major Improvements could provide 20+ points (both Ovens, Fireplace, Well, Pottery with extra Clay, Basketmaker's Workshop with extra Reed could yield 20). Certain minor improvements can also provide space for animals or be used as fields for sowing grain/veggies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

Major Improvements could provide 20+ points (both Ovens, Fireplace, Well, Pottery with extra Clay, Basketmaker's Workshop with extra Reed could yield 20). Certain minor improvements can also provide space for animals or be used as fields for sowing grain/veggies.
Ah right! He had more or less unlimited stone, and with clay roof, could use either reed or clay for room expansions, plus carpenter to make super-cheap rooms. Huh, nice group of cards came up, kudos for figuring out how to maximize the gain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing FAR too much solo series recently, I have come to the conclusion that Half-Timbered House and Quarry are essential to hit 100+ points. Without them, you just can't quite do it. You need the quarry to make up for the lack of stone, which only usually amounts to 12 or so in total. Just enough to renovate to stone, and build a few major upgrades. If you get Half-Timbered House without Quarry, that will net you some points, but will also cost 2 of the precious stone (not to mention wood, reed, and clay).

To maximize points, keep restarting the solo series until the Tutor rears his ugly head. Then select him as your first occ, even though that makes round 1 more challenging. For your second occ, it needs to be someone who helps with resources such as Hedge Keeper, Stablehand, or Seasonal Worker. There are many others, but each of these occs will save you considerable resources during the game. For instance, if you have both Hedge Keeper and Stablehand, you can save yourself an amazing 18 wood. That allows you to deploy any minor improvements requiring wood, or actually make the Joinery useful.

After that, just make sure one of your 7 occs is the Chief. Then when Quarry + Half-Timbers House + Mansion ever come up as your minors, you can clean up. Merchant is also quite good if you have occs providing additional resources as he allows you to roll out a second improvement any time you can roll out one for a cost of only 1 food.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls