Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I randomly came across a chess clock app for my phone tonight, and downloaded it just because you never know when a dual-timer thingy might come in useful.

But that got me to thinking about what other non-chess-related game elements a chess clock could be used for? There's a mini-boom of real-time games lately, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of two-player battle game that works in sort of real time, but you have to use the chess clock to time your turn.

So maybe (I'm brainstorming all this as I type, so forgive the rambling), it's a dice-related battle game that has some sort of mechanics similar to Escape. Before you can hit your timer, you have to accomplish whatever the goal of that round is. At the same time, your opponent is doing things to slow you down. But eventually, you'll accomplish your goal and hit the clock and then your opponent on the defensive.

(Hmm... I'm starting to like this.)

Anyone else ever hear of a chess clock being used as a mechanic in a non-chess game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qiagen wrote:
Not a chess clock, but doesn't Space Cadets use a sand timer (about 30 seconds) to time certain parts?
Yes, pretty much all parts of Space Cadets are timed, but I'm speculating about something that's different than just a timer.

A chess clock has some agreed-upon time on it, say ten minutes, that each player has at their disposal to play their turns. When you run out of time, you can't play anymore and I suppose (no idea what the rules are using chess clock) you lose.

So I'm wondering about games that you have a certain amount of time at your disposal that game conditions or opponent actions prevent you from playing your turn and using time, or conversely, make you have to use your time faster than you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On your turn, the clock runs, so you try to play as fast as you can and finish your turn, shifting it back to the other player. Now your clock has stopped and his clock is running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly often I've seen people suggest using clocks to speed up games, not just chess.

Either as a game-losing condition when your time runs out, or by having a certain amount of time per turn, and when your time runs out, you're finished with that turn (e.g. moving units in a traditional wargame).

It's also used in some games e.g. Ricochet Robots etc where players are all doing some task simultaneously, and as soon as one player achieves it, a timer starts, e.g. for 30 seconds, telling how much time remains for people to try solving the task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VicDigital wrote:
qiagen wrote:
Not a chess clock, but doesn't Space Cadets use a sand timer (about 30 seconds) to time certain parts?
Yes, pretty much all parts of Space Cadets are timed, but I'm speculating about something that's different than just a timer.

A chess clock has some agreed-upon time on it, say ten minutes, that each player has at their disposal to play their turns. When you run out of time, you can't play anymore and I suppose (no idea what the rules are using chess clock) you lose.

So I'm wondering about games that you have a certain amount of time at your disposal that game conditions or opponent actions prevent you from playing your turn and using time, or conversely, make you have to use your time faster than you want.
Space Hulk (third edition) has a timer for the space marines' turn, which is supposed to mimic their slower speed (the aliens are supposedly much faster so they get as much time as they want to take their actions during their turn). It would be interesting to use a chess clock there so that any time you don't use goes into your next turn (but if you use too much time in the early rounds, you won't have enough left for crucial game decisions later).

Hour of Glory uses a slightly different clock mechanic: players' actions cost them minutes on the clock, so they have to decide whether to rush through the stronghold and alert guards or spend precious time creeping through the halls; after 60 minutes (you spin down on a cool little clock dial), you lose and the bad guys win. I think a similar mechanic is used on Red November, except that is a co-op game so players are trying to beat the game AI (which is basically a countdown to the destruction of their underwater, flaming submarine).

As a potential variant, I could see anyone one of these games using a chess clock in place of their normal "countdown" mechanic. Instead of jamming the chess clock mechanic into one of those games, though, a better idea, though, would be to build a game around the mechanic (using the games I mentioned above as inspiration).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm not interested in cramming a chess clock into an existing game, but creating a game with it, and was just wanting to see if anyone knew of any games that already had this in it. At the moment, it doesn't seem like anything but actual Chess uses anything like this.

Anyway...

I stayed up half the night brainstorming on a sports-related game that uses the chess clock (the actual one that plays out in real time) as the primary timing mechanism of the game. I was also excited to realize that a previous sports game I was working on (but never got anywhere with) is absolutely perfect for the 'sport' of the game.

This may move to the head of my game development queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls