Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Obviously, the next thing we need for this game is more villagers Here is my proposal for the classic "Lovers" identity.

In this game, the Lovers are comprised of one member of the Inquisition, and one common villager. When people draw for Werewolf or Villager identities, one of the Villager cards is replaced by a Lover card. There is also one Lover hut on the table. That hut card is left face up when the rest are randomized and dealt out. Before the game starts, everyone closes their eyes, letting the Lover player secretly place the Lover villager somewhere in the tableau. Afterwards, only that player will know where it is, and no one will know which player is the Lover.

During the game, the Lover doesn't do much for anyone. It has the same ability as the Villager/Werewolf card if taken (because no one else thinks the Lover is special). However, if the Lover in the village ever dies, the Lover player is grief-stricken: They reveal their identity, discard all voting tokens, and do not take an action on the next day. (If they would have the Grand Inquisitor token, they pass it on.) They do, however, remain in the game and will win as long as the humans win.

This card is a mix of good and bad: One human player starts out with knowledge about a card, and if they are ever revealed, then everyone at the table will get proof that they are a human. However, missing an entire turn, and losing some number of voting tokens, is a major blow to the human side. Depending on the situation, it could be very good or very bad. I think that on the whole, it's a slight negative to the Human players, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freedome Cractonite
msg tools
mb
I really like the idea of more than just Villagers and Werewolf classes. This is a good start! Nice idea, and I think it would be a downside. If the rows or columns are shuffled, the lover loses it's advantage, and if you are playing with a mason, it's pretty easy to prove if someone is good or bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Even with the Mason, only one person gets to look at a player's card, and the rest of the table may not believe what they report. A role that forces you to publicly announce it would not have any doubt.
If the column with the Lover is shuffled, then that would be bad news for the player. But it wouldn't necessarily happen right away; there are 4 columns and 5 days to the game, and the Lover player would try to encourage the Grand Inquisitor to shuffle another column. It might happen, though. It goes along with the idea that this card isn't very helpful for the human players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Upon further reflection, the problem with the Lovers would be that the person who draws that identity can always just announce it at the start of the game. They can't prove who they are, of course, but only Werewolves would try to argue with them. If they do, then players will probably still find out the truth before long, and the Werewolf player will be discovered as well. That doesn't seem worth it for a Werewolf player, so probably the person who draws the Lover will go uncontested when they announce it. And that's no fun.
I think the only way to save it is to make a rule that when the Werewolves kill the Lover Villager, they have the option to place it face up in front of a player instead of putting it at the bottom of the stack of cards. If they chose the actual Lover player, then the shock to them is much greater. The player is out of the game and loses no matter what side wins. If the Werewolves choose wrong, nothing happens. The Lover Player is angry about the treatment of the dead villager, which balances out the grief, so they play on like normal. And if the Wolves don't know who the Lover is, they can leave the card at the bottom of the deck to trigger the normal penalty I suggested originally. This would give the Lover motivation to keep quiet, and I'd expect the "leaving the corpse in front of someone's door" move to be rare.
Of course, this adds a lot of complexity to the rules, as well as the chance of player elimination. So at this point, I've probably argued my own variant out of existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freedome Cractonite
msg tools
mb
I like the idea you had about werewolves secretly choosing a person to die though. It might unbalance the game (with player elimination), but if everyone closes their eyes, it would be such a tense moment wondering who is going to wake up with the card in front of them.

It could be a different role, like the Spell Caster, who silences a person each round. Such as if the role is used and a certain role is lynched (or killed by the werewolfs, similar to wolf cub and cursed) it's ability is activated, and the werewolves get to choose someone to silence for the round. It could even be themselves to prevent suspicion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls